Menu

s/o marble runs: which one?

I wondered the same thing. We had a Haba one years ago but it got lost/separated in moves. I like the looks of Quadrilla ones but it seems they are out of stock everywhere and possibly discontinued. I will be watching this thread as my almost 4 year old ds desperately wants a new set!

I agree with Library Lover. Let your children make their own. They could use toilet paper and paper towel cardboard inserts or whatever else they can find and tape.

In second grade my youngest used cereal boxes to make one of those large funnels you put a penny in until it rolls down and plops into a hole. (This was for a project at his public school. LOL.) I thought it was pretty cool.

I saw someone else recommend the Discovery one - where did you get it? Or do you at least have a link for it?

I got ours off of Craigslist. (Both the Castle Marbleworks we had before and the Marbleworks we have now) I have been very blessed I think.

Usually you buy from their website/a Discovery toys consultant.

http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/esuite/control/product?PURCHASE_STATE=STANDARD&product_id=3875

It says for 5 and up but our 3 year old got it for Christmas and is enjoying it. I'm sure it will expand his enjoyment as he gets older and better at putting it together himself. But he was outgrowing the Castle marbleworks.

We do not own a marble run either, so I also have a question...

I saw something like THIS while Christmas shopping and was interested in it. Wooden vs. plastic marble run, which is better? I like that wooden blocks wouldn't break if stepped on, but there wouldn't be any twisties or curves either, and really I guess a child would be mesmerized by those curves as a marble speeds along.

Does anyone have an opinion if you've seen both types 'in action?'

we have a Discovery Toys one too...and we LOVE it. The pieces are made of a hard plastic and they stay together very well. I would recommend it. We have played with other ones, they are flimsy and fall apart...don't go cheap...I am sure there are some other more expensive ones that are good too.

We have a Quadrilla. It is really neat to play with, complex designs are fun and fascinating to build, but a bit hard for young hands. It isn't something that the kids just pull out and play with throughout the day.

DD4's therapist has one of the plastic ones and it seems a bit more kid friendly for the younger group.

We do not own a marble run either, so I also have a question...

I saw something like THIS while Christmas shopping and was interested in it. Wooden vs. plastic marble run, which is better? I like that wooden blocks wouldn't break if stepped on, but there wouldn't be any twisties or curves either, and really I guess a child would be mesmerized by those curves as a marble speeds along.

Does anyone have an opinion if you've seen both types 'in action?'

We have a small set like this and it was frustrating for ds because the pieces shift too easily. He'd build something, and if he dropped the marble onto a block the block would shift. And blocks just got out of alignment from running the marbles through. You have to realign the blocks constantly. It was just too much fiddling around to get a good run going.

Someone gave us a plastic set like the ones others have mentioned. I like that the pieces fit together so they can't be jiggled out of alignment. You can run dozens of marbles through without upsetting it. For overall play value I'd go with the plastic models. For aesthetics the wood wins--looks cool and the wooden "kerplunks" are much more pleasant than the plastic "rat-a-tats."

ETA: My dc did enjoy that the plastic set has all those special pieces that make it more fun.

If you like the wooden block runs, it seems a number a of sites have basically, if not exactly, the same 50 block set. The cheapest price I've seen is http://www.backtobasicstoys.com. DS4 has been wanting one, but I'm waiting for the baby to get a little bigger before having marbles in the house. I also like the idea of building one on the wall with paper tubes, etc.

thank you!

Only my son has the patience to fix the blocks after every run, I imagine we'll look for a plastic version! :001_smile:

We have a small set like this and it was frustrating for ds because the pieces shift too easily. He'd build something, and if he dropped the marble onto a block the block would shift. And blocks just got out of alignment from running the marbles through. You have to realign the blocks constantly. It was just too much fiddling around to get a good run going.

Someone gave us a plastic set like the ones others have mentioned. I like that the pieces fit together so they can't be jiggled out of alignment. You can run dozens of marbles through without upsetting it. For overall play value I'd go with the plastic models. For aesthetics the wood wins--looks cool and the wooden "kerplunks" are much more pleasant than the plastic "rat-a-tats."

ETA: My dc did enjoy that the plastic set has all those special pieces that make it more fun.

I'm very sad to hear that the Quadrilla is discontinued. We have one and it is great. I just made a purchase of the melody set to expand ours. I had always wanted that, and if it's going away, I want to get it now. :(

I'm re=posting: We love our Quadrilla. I did a quick Google, it looks like the company was bought by Manhattan Toy (who also recently bought Automoblox). Here's their website. Amazon has some pieces still, also.

It's hard to tell if Manhattan is going to continue it though. Both the full sets are out of stock. They only have expansion items available. It says the sets can be preordered, so perhaps they will start producing them again. All of the other retail sites though say the products are discontinued. I emailed Manhattan to ask if the line is permanently discontinued or not.

We have the Haba wooden one. I highly recommend it. I find that it's much easier to use and figure out than the Quadrilla (though that's cool too!). Also, the pieces lend themselves more easily for use in making your own - pitagora suichi style. It's very hard to make your own from scratch - at least for a 7 and 3 yo it would be. But if you start off building with the Haba track, you can get ideas and add to it with paper towel tubes, etc. That's what my kids have done.

My kids do not build the Quadrilla themselves at this point. I build it for them - but it will stay up and they will play with it for hours at a time for several days in a row !

When I was a kid, my marble run was a large vinyl beanbag chair. I would mash it around until it made trails that the marbles would roll down. I would have loved a real marble run !

I chose a wooden one for our kids because I do not like things with plastic tabs that break off, or plastic parts that get stepped on and smashed. The wooden parts are sturdier. I do not have a problem with the stability of the structure. When it is put together with the base pieces and purple thingies to keep it level, it's pretty stable as long and nobody falls on it.

Someday I would love to make one from clear pipe, joints, and tubing, and fix it to the basement wall. A children's museum nearby has something like this and it's so cool.

Edited by laundrycrisis

We have the Haba wooden one. I highly recommend it. I find that it's much easier to use and figure out than the Quadrilla (though that's cool too!). Also, the pieces lend themselves more easily for use in making your own - pitagora suichi style. It's very hard to make your own from scratch - at least for a 7 and 3 yo it would be. But if you start off building with the Haba track, you can get ideas and add to it with paper towel tubes, etc. That's what my kids have done.

We love the HABA one too! I like the fact that it seems to teach a little more "physics" than some of the plastic ones where the marble is guaranteed to stay on the track no matter what.

My son started very simply at 3 with one ramp dropping marble "food" to animals in a pen. We already have the HABA block set so the marble run just naturally gets incorporated into all kinds of play instead of feeling like a separate toy.