Menu

Moms with little ones who are feeling frustrated

I have waves of missing a house full of littles and want to encourage you. Know that this time will pass so quickly, even though the days may drag now. Snuggle them, read to them and squat down to their level when they want to tell you something. Turn off the computer or close it and look them in the eye when they want to share yet another happening in their little lives. If you're eating lunch with us or the phone, be present with them instead. Write down something each night that was precious from the day and if you can, take a picture once a week to add to that journal. Write down the funny things they do and say or that happen because you'll forget and when they're big they'll want to hear stories about just those things. Before you know it this time will pass and will seem to have only been as long as a blink. They'll be away at college or living in another state and you'll want just a minute to wrap your arms around them. Give them a big hug for me.

~Just a mom whose missing her grown-up babies today. Pass the tissues please.

I have waves of missing a house full of littles and want to encourage you. Know that this time will pass so quickly, even though the days may drag now. Snuggle them, read to them and squat down to their level when they want to tell you something. Turn off the computer or close it and look them in the eye when they want to share yet another happening in their little lives. If you're eating lunch with us or the phone, be present with them instead. Write down something each night that was precious from the day and if you can, take a picture once a week to add to that journal. Write down the funny things they do and say or that happen because you'll forget and when they're big they'll want to hear stories about just those things. Before you know it this time will pass and will seem to have only been as long as a blink. They'll be away at college or living in another state and you'll want just a minute to wrap your arms around them. Give them a big hug for me.

Yep.

This reminds me of a Shakespeare quote:

It so falls out

That what we have we prize not to the worth,

Whiles we enjoy it; but being lacked and lost,

Why, then we rack the value; then we find

The virtue, that possession would not show us

...Whiles it was ours.

Much Ado About Nothing--IV.1

Susan in TX

thank you! My 1 year old is being very clingy today. And she always has to be in my lap for naps. Today, instead of getting frustrated that I couldn't put her down I realized that I will miss the heck out of this soon. I have an 11 year old and man, they are sweeter at 1!

Thank you for this encouraging post! :)

I waffle between, "Hurry up and get biggger!" and the excitement that comes with watching them grow and be their own little person, to "Nooooo! You are going to be 9 yrs. old this year! I remember feeling you kick around in my belly!"

Somedays, I just really want the ability to freeze time.

My kids are in the "middle" age-wise right now. They are not little, but not yet all grown up either. Times are trying with a pre-teen and a 7 year old who is used to being the baby of the house. I was sitting in church one morning beside my 11 year old when it dawned on my how quickly life is passing us by. I looked at him, eye level to me in the pew now, and couldn't help but realize how much I really just wanted time to slow down.

Thank you for this post tonight. I am taking this time in their lives (and mine) for granted when I need to be embracing every moment.

Its so true and I have been thinking of this today too- silly things like I miss buckling a child into a car seat in the back seat - I miss when they used to love it when I would take them to the beach- I miss reading to them and i miss their long cuddles. I miss the feeling of a baby on my hip, and smooching a baby's chubby cheek because you just want to eat them up.

It does pass. And the next phase is great too- young small people with skinned knees and messy rooms and they still think you are sooooo wonderful and awesome just because you are their mum :)

I am trying to remember to absolutely savour my beautiful teenagers in their awkwardness, their insecure moments, their strong unfounded opinions and sassy attitude, their needing me one minute and pushing me away the next.....because this phase is also passing fast.

Savour it all.

I knew someone had put cameras up in my house, checking up on me throughout the day...

Thank you for this encouragement. For so many reasons, I have a very hard time enjoying this phase of child rearing. I guess this why I hang out here, dreaming of the next few years when I can finally read a book aloud for more than 30 seconds without someone whining or peeing on the carpet. Thank you for the reminder that I need to enjoy them today.

Right now, my 2-year-old is sleepwalking and grabbing for something in the air that doesn't exist. Sounds like a good cuddle opportunity. :-)