Menu

Help me pick a math curriculum? :D

mommymilkies

Sorry this is rambling!

My 10 yo is unhappy with her math. We tried Singapore and she thought it was too easy (that was several years ago, though). She hated the Kumon workbooks. She found MUS tedious doing the same thing-add/subtract/etc. for too long without variety.

I was thinking either MEP or Saxon. I would like to go back to MUS because *I* like it, but does it get more challenging or diverse?

What about Saxon? I hear Saxon is quite boring, but that may have been a biased opinion.

MEP is free and looks fun-we tried the first week and it introduced a lot of things we hadn't done before, but it seemed almost too challenging, even though she's normally very advanced. Does anyone usually use this?

I also hear CEP is good, but is it able to be used secularly?

We use Singapore with my kids. Since you are looking at changing programs, it would be worthwhile for her to take the Singapore placement test. I have found that the early levels do seem "easy" for a mathy kid, as the foundations are being laid. But it is not "easy" in the higher levels so you may find it a better fit now. ;)

Wow. She just did the placements and she is SO behind. Which is weird because she's so smart-she easily figures out fractions, multiplication, and division on her own and does algebra and balancing chemistry equations with dh (he's a chemistry professor). Apparently the "mastering" programs she's been using have her behind on a lot of the usual subjects that are in other programs, though. It feel so wrong to hold her back, in a way, and start with Singapore 2B!

Wow. She just did the placements and she is SO behind. Which is weird because she's so smart-she easily figures out fractions, multiplication, and division on her own and does algebra and balancing chemistry equations with dh (he's a chemistry professor). Apparently the "mastering" programs she's been using have her behind on a lot of the usual subjects that are in other programs, though. It feel so wrong to hold her back, in a way, and start with Singapore 2B!

Could she have not been taking the test seriously? I've had my DD do that to me on several occasions. :glare:

I really like Saxon as well. My daughter doesn't love it but does well with it. She sometimes asks for something "more colorful" and exciting looking, but since she is doing very well with Saxon, that just didn't seem like a good reason to switch. Also, now that we are into the upper level, I don't want to switch and create gaps, so we will plug along.

You could try the Saxon placement test and then see which teaching method suits her better to make your final decision.

KLA

CLE is similar to Saxon as it is a spiral program but a great deal more mangeable for child and parent on a daily basis. Each LightUnit is a workbook so no problems to copy out. The religious content is minimal, maybe a little in the word problems like Jane gave out so many Bibles today... I highly recomend it as an alternative to Saxon.

Pick a curriculum that matches your teaching style and educational background. Place her at her performance level, not age level. Tweak the curriculum if necessary.

Math isn't always fun :-0 The most important thing is that you are confident about your ability to teach the math.

We love Math Mammoth here! It is mastery based, which I like, but much more varied both in scope and in types of problems than MUS. This is THE math curriculum for us... we switched once from MUS, but I'm planning on the kids working all the way through MM... it's THAT good!

I know Maria has placement tests on the website... I had to go back in fill in some things (especially geometry). We took the summer to fill holes, then started in at the appropriate level. Nice thing is you can just print what you need!

we have used MUS after i have used every other math out there. it is such a individual matter. BUT now my 10 yr old son is beggig me to have math like his 7th grade brother. http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/

YIKES i just saw the cost but i will save because math is one of those subjects that can bring tears and struggles.

i love that this program can help bring about some independence and looks fun. we have used it for 7th grade and up.

dont be down hearted about them appearing to be behind. mus does things very different. they can get caught up in no time. the best bet is to get a copy of saxon and sit with it here is a link for a sample http://hmheducation.com/saxonmathk5/index.php

teresa

My DS uses Teaching Textbooks and absolutely loves it. I have heard that it is "easier" than most but he is working one grade level ahead so I figure he's probably on track. And ANY schoolwork that he loves works for me.

My DD is currently using a school textbook (bought on eBay) and she's doing very well with it. She'll do the same thing for next year, too, as she likes it.

CLE is similar to Saxon as it is a spiral program but a great deal more mangeable for child and parent on a daily basis. Each LightUnit is a workbook so no problems to copy out. The religious content is minimal, maybe a little in the word problems like Jane gave out so many Bibles today... I highly recomend it as an alternative to Saxon.

:iagree:

We are in the "Hate Saxon" camp, but we love CLE's math. My ds does very well with it and the constant review and reinforcement is fantastic for keeping concepts alive and well in his memory bank. ;) Saxon, on the other hand, is far too incremental for our tastes. Drove my boys batty and actually hurt their math understanding.

MEP is free and looks fun-we tried the first week and it introduced a lot of things we hadn't done before, but it seemed almost too challenging, even though she's normally very advanced. Does anyone usually use this?
MEP packs in everything you need to start algebra by then end of Y6. If you don't break in at just the right point, it might seem intimidating. However, look at the Y7-Y9 units. They repeat much of the Y5-Y6 material, but in a more straightforward way. There are some interesting topics there not normally covered in North American math programs.

I'd be inclined to try Life of Fred, starting with Fractions and ending with the second Pre-Algebra book, at which point you can decide where to go. If that's not quite enough practice, use something like the Key-to books for extra practice.

We used Saxon at first and one of my daughters hated math so I ended up swapping to MUS. We loved MUS. I have a friend who has 10 children and is a wealth of information. She uses MUS in the beginning, and then moves to Saxon around 4/5 and still throws in MUS here and there depending on the kid. MUS teaches things Saxon doesn't in the earlier years and vice versa in the older years.

One thing that may help is to use the older version of MUS. It is not based on grade. It is the same stuff, but not laid out into a grade. They just do a concept until they get it. One of my daughters might do one lesson once, where another may do it for 2 weeks. There isn't the burden of feeling like you are in a lower grade than you are "supposed" to be. But then if something is boring because she gets it, just move on to the next lesson.

We changed over to Saxon Math 3 years ago and love it. My ds10 is very advanced in math and does his lessons independently. I've recently cut out the math facts worksheets since it's too time consuming and he does so well in his lessons and tests. I must be honest in saying he hated it at first, was very frustrated, but now feels successful and confident. He's very good at mental math skills, too (better than me, and I've had up to calculus and I've always been an excellent math student). He can do multi-step problems with varied/multiple processes in his head.

My one complaint is that the lessons are time-consuming. That being said, it is well worth it when you consider how well all the review works! Worth every minute!

I wouldn't go back to Singapore 2 with a 10 yo. That's just not necessary. She could go into the 4th or 5th gr book of almost any standard curriculum and be fine if you slow it down initially. That would make a lot more sense. Do placement tests for some more curricula so you can see her holes (which are probably what she has, from the sound of it) and see where she's at. The placement tests will give you a feel for the curricula. CLE, MM, Saxon, MUS, almost all the popular options have free online placement tests to print and try. Do that until you have a program you think will work for her. Then stick with it a while. :)

when u do the placement test, did u see she just have few subject that she never had it and can't do it or overall can't do it?

When I started afterschool ds, I knew he is very strong on the fundamentals. add/sub/mult/div/fraction..etc, but lacking on what I will say "secondary subject" like measurement, geometry. most of those topic get repeated few times in later grade and just adding depth. It sound like ur dd is a smart cookie, You should be able to just pick and choice to fill the gap.

• 2 weeks later...
when u do the placement test, did u see she just have few subject that she never had it and can't do it or overall can't do it?

When I started afterschool ds, I knew he is very strong on the fundamentals. add/sub/mult/div/fraction..etc, but lacking on what I will say "secondary subject" like measurement, geometry. most of those topic get repeated few times in later grade and just adding depth. It sound like ur dd is a smart cookie, You should be able to just pick and choice to fill the gap.

Yes- Mostly division and geometry. She's doing the Key To Fractions series and is really great at that, measurement, and add/sub/mult. She's working on Singapore 3 from samples and the placement test, but I'll tell you...it's way too easy for her! Ridiculously easy! So I started her on Saxon 5/4 and so far it's still easy for her. Those placement tests scared me to death! She really likes the Singapore books, so I'll let her keep doing them if she wants, and probably get the CWP, too. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Yes- Mostly division and geometry. She's doing the Key To Fractions series and is really great at that, measurement, and add/sub/mult. She's working on Singapore 3 from samples and the placement test, but I'll tell you...it's way too easy for her! Ridiculously easy! So I started her on Saxon 5/4 and so far it's still easy for her. Those placement tests scared me to death! She really likes the Singapore books, so I'll let her keep doing them if she wants, and probably get the CWP, too. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Have you tried the Intensive Practice and CWP books? That's where the challenge is. The WB is very easy, but IP word problems really make my kids think. I like the old CWP better than the new CWP if you can find it. But I love math, so I make them do it all!

I'll look for that, too. Should I get her grade level of the extra practice, or the level workbook she's on?

Don't confuse "Extra Practice" with "Intensive Practice". The Extra Practice books are more problems at the same basic degree of difficulty as the Workbooks (relatively easy). The Intensive Practice books are "hard".

Get the IP books. If you are using the Standards Edition Textbooks/ Workbooks you will need to order the IP books from the US Edition Series, as there are no SE IPs published (as of yet). It is fine to "mix" books from the two series. Ordinarily she would be on the same level as the regular Workbook, but (depending on what she can handle) she might have to do the IPs somewhat behind. That is something you will have to decide.

The IPs should end the complains about Singapore being "too easy". The material steps up the challenge and a lot more intellectually interesting.

The MEP materials are also interesting and challenging.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I think MEP is okay. I don't know that it's any more challenging than Singapore, especially with regard to word problems. Saxon is definitely not going to be as challenging at those programs. I'm not sure what level Singapore you did with her, but the fifth and sixth grade books are quite challenging....

Russian Math 6 makes a good follow-up to Singapore 6 and continues pre-algebra level work:

http://www.perpendicularpress.com/math6.html

I believe it's still only available as a download right now....

Have you looked at Life of Fred? I know many people with kids who are math oriented who really like it. Also, Edward Zaccarro's books, such as Real Life Algebra, Challenge Math, etc. are very good....