Menu

observations by my son now at school

Ds15 is surprised and has twice told me now that "mum, half of the kids have just completely given up. They just don't care anymore.". Referring to the fact that they don't do their homework or study at all, or listen in class. This is one of the 3 top state highschools.

And he has now noticed that he has a LOT less free time, and he misses his free time.

He is trying so hard, but its not easy for him either- academics never were. Mainly the maths. I hope the system doesn't do to him what it has done to half the other kids.

He had his first maths test this morning. He is a perfectionist- he was so frightened that he might fail and had himself never getting into university, never having a job or doing well in life- over this one maths test. He could barely study last night because he was so wound up. His dad ended up giving him the "nothing to be afraid of but fear itself" pep talk and he calmed down. But this is a kid I couldnt motivate anymore.

On the other hand they are reading a novel in English in class and each kid reads aloud- he reckons he is the only kid there who reads fluently aloud. And he is dyslexic! What's with that?

We are having some interesting ones too!

Everything he is doing right now, he has already done at home. Mostly I think that's great as it gives him time to settle in before the work really challenges. He now leaves home at 7am and gets home at 5.30pm, it's a long day but he likes his fellow students and teachers and is so far happy.

He only got as far as Singapore NSM2, which is Grade 8, before he went to school we made sure that we plugged the gaps between that and Aussie Gr 10 curric, and there weren't many. He is currently doing ADVANCED Gr 11 maths, stuff that he did in Singapore 8!!! Unbelievable.

That must make you feel pretty good about the preparation you gave him!

My husband is a student teacher in one of the very top schools in our state. By his accounts, the kids are unmotivated and basically just show up. Only 3 out of 23 kids turned in the last homework assignment. No one takes notes, even when he tells them, "Write this down, it will be on the quiz." When they do the quiz they just write question marks in the blank. Only a couple of kids seem to connect that their effort is what determines their success (and his class is largely slanted towards effort).

On the other hand, my daughter is going to a mid-ranked public high school and she has very engaging teachers who seem to demand a lot. She was allowed to bring copious notes to her geometry and advanced science finals, and I certainly don't remember that from my schooling, however!

I wonder if the schools are so afraid of letting kids fall on their face and learn from natural consequences (hurting their school's scores) so they baby them and spoil them. Some of those lazy kids need a real wake-up call.

Ds15 is surprised and has twice told me now that "mum, half of the kids have just completely given up. They just don't care anymore.". Referring to the fact that they don't do their homework or study at all, or listen in class. This is one of the 3 top state highschools.

And he has now noticed that he has a LOT less free time, and he misses his free time.

He is trying so hard, but its not easy for him either- academics never were. Mainly the maths. I hope the system doesn't do to him what it has done to half the other kids.

He had his first maths test this morning. He is a perfectionist- he was so frightened that he might fail and had himself never getting into university, never having a job or doing well in life- over this one maths test. He could barely study last night because he was so wound up. His dad ended up giving him the "nothing to be afraid of but fear itself" pep talk and he calmed down. But this is a kid I couldnt motivate anymore.

On the other hand they are reading a novel in English in class and each kid reads aloud- he reckons he is the only kid there who reads fluently aloud. And he is dyslexic! What's with that?

That's very, very sad and I totally believe it. I was so done with school by then end of it. I hated the idea of going to college for 4 more years of crap.

Ds15 is surprised and has twice told me now that "mum, half of the kids have just completely given up. They just don't care anymore.". Referring to the fact that they don't do their homework or study at all, or listen in class.

This is exactly how my dd described her cc classes. Sad, isn't it?

My ds14 is in grade 9 at school, and he has been doing math this year and last year that he did in grade 7 at home. He finds that many of the kids don't care about doing well in school or don't bother putting any effort into assignments.

My ds12 in grade 6 (homeschooled up until last school year) comments often on how the kids in his class (6/7 split) can't pronounce words properly when reading aloud.

Yes, I can totally relate with my all my dd's experiences when they went to school. My oldest dd was ridiculed for being a 'learner' when she chose to remove herself from the table she was at where the girls were all giggling over nudes in an art book, rather than studying the artist. My dd told them they were acting like 4 yr olds, and they reacted by ridiculing her desire to get on with the job at hand!

My youngest dd, has found some of the kids that were in the top classes with her last year have been dropped back. She said that they were capable of the work, but just didn't put in any effort. I think the teachers are really trying to keep up the kids' motivation and make them realize that they need to work at staying where they are.

Can totally relate to your son's english experience. Last year my dd's English class were reading a book that I would have thought was a 5th or 6th grade book. Granted, it did explore some issues with bullying, suicide, etc that were more mature issues, but the length of the book (120 pages or some such), and the size of the lettering, really made me wonder at it being given to the top class of year 9's. DD finished it at home the first night (even though it was supposed to be read silently in class - and they'd allowed 3 weeks for the reading of it!). Her teacher was amazed and said that she was obviously a very strong reader. I told her she'd only learnt to read at 10, because of her dyslexia, but that I thought that book was extremely simple and basic. She told me it was all that the kids were capable of!!! I just about fell off my seat. She said dd could bring in whatever reading she wanted while the other students finished the book. DD brought in David Copperfield and Jane Eyre, and finished those books in the time it took the other kids to read the assigned book. The teacher told me that if she could clone DD, she'd have a much easier class to teach. Gratifying for us, but a sad statement about the education system, and yes, it comes down to something going badly wrong in the early years.

So many incidences like this make us all grateful for the circumstances that led us to homeschooling, and the years we had together at home. I'm glad for the school experience that has made my girls appreciate what I gave them at home (even though we were quite a bit less rigorous than I originally would have liked). They had years to just be kids, without the peer pressure to conform and lose their identity - not saying this is the case with all, but I'm glad my girls developed an extremely strong sense of self from their years at home, and it's helped them to stand against some of what goes on at school when they went back in high school.

Yes, I can totally relate with my all my dd's experiences when they went to school. My oldest dd was ridiculed for being a 'learner' when she chose to remove herself from the table she was at where the girls were all giggling over nudes in an art book, rather than studying the artist. My dd told them they were acting like 4 yr olds, and they reacted by ridiculing her desire to get on with the job at hand!

My youngest dd, has found some of the kids that were in the top classes with her last year have been dropped back. She said that they were capable of the work, but just didn't put in any effort. I think the teachers are really trying to keep up the kids' motivation and make them realize that they need to work at staying where they are.

Can totally relate to your son's english experience. Last year my dd's English class were reading a book that I would have thought was a 5th or 6th grade book. Granted, it did explore some issues with bullying, suicide, etc that were more mature issues, but the length of the book (120 pages or some such), and the size of the lettering, really made me wonder at it being given to the top class of year 9's. DD finished it at home the first night (even though it was supposed to be read silently in class - and they'd allowed 3 weeks for the reading of it!). Her teacher was amazed and said that she was obviously a very strong reader. I told her she'd only learnt to read at 10, because of her dyslexia, but that I thought that book was extremely simple and basic. She told me it was all that the kids were capable of!!! I just about fell off my seat. She said dd could bring in whatever reading she wanted while the other students finished the book. DD brought in David Copperfield and Jane Eyre, and finished those books in the time it took the other kids to read the assigned book. The teacher told me that if she could clone DD, she'd have a much easier class to teach. Gratifying for us, but a sad statement about the education system, and yes, it comes down to something going badly wrong in the early years.

So many incidences like this make us all grateful for the circumstances that led us to homeschooling, and the years we had together at home. I'm glad for the school experience that has made my girls appreciate what I gave them at home (even though we were quite a bit less rigorous than I originally would have liked). They had years to just be kids, without the peer pressure to conform and lose their identity - not saying this is the case with all, but I'm glad my girls developed an extremely strong sense of self from their years at home, and it's helped them to stand against some of what goes on at school when they went back in high school.

Thanks Isabella. Yes Jared just came home again saying that he is the best reader in all of year 10 - that today he read aloud again and they were all terrible- and they were given half an hour to read silently and he read about 3 times as many pages as they did. ANd like your dd he didn't really read till, in his case, he was 9, because of dyslexia. He was just invited to go up a class- he was originally put in the middle class out of 5- and he told me he refused because he didn't want more homework and he liked his teacher. At first I did my mummy dance and said of course he should go up a class- but then I realised how much liking his teacher meant to him and calmed down and accepted his decision.

Its a very interesting transition!

I cant help but wonder if the literacy issue is strongly related to technology, computers, Playstation etc. No one reads anymore. My kids have done both (read and technology), but only because we homeschooled and I could "make" them and support them with great books. I feel sad at what all these other kids have missed out on- and how their lives will be limited by their lack of literacy. And again I am still a bit shocked because this is a top state school in a wealthy area.

Peela, I think you're right about the over abundance of technology, also the lack of exposure to good books, parents reading etc plays a part in the lack of interest, I think. Classic book read-alouds and books on tape were an integral part of our homeschooling, and because we don't have TV, books were their spare time habit! Read alouds were just the best part of our days, and even in the older years, they still loved it. In fact, if we are in the car for a long trip, they still enjoy me reading aloud, or we all listen to a good audio book. They enjoyed bits and pieces of time on the computer, but not too much. Speaking of computer stuff too, the girls told me that most of the kids in their year couldn't type very well! And I thought they'd all grown up with computers at school, and typing/keyboard skills would be taught. Obviously they let them acquire it however it happens. And my kids were worried before they went to school that their typing wouldn't be up to speed!

I hear you about the decision to go up a class. My middle dd started in the middle classes, and was soon asked to go up...she resisted for a while, because she totally loved her English teacher, and English is the subject she excels in. I tried to encourage her, but wanting to let the choice be hers. She stayed there for a couple of months longer, until her English teacher actually encouraged her because she was not able to challenge her enough in that group. So that made her decide to go up, and she was so happy when she did, and wished she had sooner. The atmosphere in the top classes were much more conducive (in general) to learning. A good percentage of the kids actually do want to do their best, and are aiming for university, so are more focused and motivated. And if it's done sooner in the year, the changeover of classmates/friendships formed in classes is not so difficult as later, when the friendships have become more cemented. Not trying to push you into it, but it's worth considering. If the 'giving-up' attitude is getting to him, it'll probably be at least halved if he goes up a class.

divided between the haves and the have-nots, similar to Heather's post re. socio-economic status.

Another poster wrote:

The atmosphere in the top classes were much more conducive (in general) to learning. A good percentage of the kids actually do want to do their best, and are aiming for university, so are more focused and motivated. And if it's done sooner in the year, the changeover of classmates/friendships formed in classes is not so difficult as later, when the friendships have become more cemented. Not trying to push you into it, but it's worth considering. If the 'giving-up' attitude is getting to him, it'll probably be at least halved if he goes up a class.

:iagree:

In the suburb of "Large City" where we go to church (and where most of my kids' friend go to to school), there is one large high school for the entire burb. It has the largest high school campus (square feet of buildings?) in the nation, although I'm not sure it is the largest student body. The kids who are there in the "honors track" (I'm making that name up, but you KWIM) do many AP and/or on-campus dual credit classes, and they work their hineys off. For example, one of my dd's friends had a summer reading prior to the AP Lit class, and along with the reading, she had 15 essays to write--before school even started for the year.

Hannah C. went there, and if she were not being a new mommy, she could tell you that they do not slack. These kids are not incompetent, nor are they dummies--they can assemble a marble race. :)

However, I wonder about the vast majority of the kids--I hear all the time about the fights on and off campus and the general mayhem. One of the homeschool moms with an engineering background taught algebras there several years ago. She lasted 6 weeks--it wasn't worth the hassle.

I really do believe that the honors track kids get a good education, but the others, not so much.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

My sister-in-law is a public school 9th grade teacher. She didn't have anything higher than a C on her gradebook this time and there were only 2 of those!!! Unbelievable. She says it's because no one cares, no one turns in homework, and no one studies for tests.

Someone started a fire under one of the desks in her classroom the other day, too. Outrageous! :eek:

I agree with this 100%! I had to go back to school for a month to get my permit, and in the classroom, half the kids didn't even study or turn in their assignments!! It was crazy! Nobody really seemed to care about if they passed or not, they just wanted their permit. But what everyone didn't seem to get was that is they didn't get pass, they don't get their permit. It was ridiculous!

I on the other hand studied until my brain hurt and I passed with one of the highest grades of the class!!!! Half the class failed the state and book test, and I was glad and kind of proud that I passed.

I got my permit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

But what I am trying to say is that kids just don't seem to care anymore. It's really become a regular occurance.

My question is what kind of grades are these kids getting?

My sil's son is a lot like the descriptions here of not doing assignments, or cramming at the end to turn them in late, not caring, etc. Yet when report cards come out he has all Bs and Cs? I couldn't understand how this was possible.

My question is what kind of grades are these kids getting?

My sil's son is a lot like the descriptions here of not doing assignments, or cramming at the end to turn them in late, not caring, etc. Yet when report cards come out he has all Bs and Cs? I couldn't understand how this was possible.

I am finding that most teachers seem to care more about their paychecks rather than the kids themselves. The more kids that pass, the better paychecks they will get. I prefer homeschooling over ps and I hope I never have to go back.:tongue_smilie:

divided between the haves and the have-nots, similar to Heather's post re. socio-economic status.

Another poster wrote:

The atmosphere in the top classes were much more conducive (in general) to learning. A good percentage of the kids actually do want to do their best, and are aiming for university, so are more focused and motivated. And if it's done sooner in the year, the changeover of classmates/friendships formed in classes is not so difficult as later, when the friendships have become more cemented. Not trying to push you into it, but it's worth considering. If the 'giving-up' attitude is getting to him, it'll probably be at least halved if he goes up a class.

:iagree:

I guess it depends what "up a class" means really, if it means that the classes within the grade are streamed, then yes, it will change. If it means up to the next grade, then it may be "same crap, different kids."

I do agree that it's very much about the haves and have nots. My DS got into a select entry school, which means that only the kids who attain a very high grade from the whole city get in to the school. The kids need parents who were motivated to get to do the exam in the first place, and the motivation themselves to work hard to do well in it.

The kids seem very motivated to learn and acheive, not just academically but also in life. DS is now training for the cross country team and they train hard! I'm so grateful that he got in there, because in some schools around here, most kids are not heading for Uni and don't care about their marks and working hard. This school spans the socio economic divide, but what the "haves" there have is personal drive and committed parents.

Oh, this makes my heart sing!:001_smile: Not that the other kids can't read, but that your dyslexic ds is a top reader amongst his peers. Please tell him he's an inspiration:thumbup:.

As far as the bad attitude by his classmates, it comes from being too far disconnected from the material learned, I think. I experienced it as a teen. Even when I had a good teacher, the experiences of the past terrible ones set up an expectation of cram/regurgitate/rinse/repeat. That's not how our brains and bodies are meant to learn. It sounds like he's mature enough to see beyond much of that. :hurray: to you for teaching him well.