Menu

Online Singapore Math Problems - For Real??

zoo_keeper

I've stumbled across several sites recently that purport to post real Singapore Math word problems for free, such as...

http://www.1800-teacher.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=56

http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com/math-problems.html

My questions are: Has anyone heard of these sites? Are they legit? And if you have the SM CWPs, do the posted problems really match up?

Thanks in advance for any and all info :)

The 1800 teacher one has Singapore type problems, but it is not the exact same stuff that is in the books. Singapore math isn't just the problems, but the teaching method behind it. If you want Singapore, it would be better to get the books. I haven't checked out the other one, but maybe I can get to it on afternoon break.

Nice user name. ;)

Goodness, I'm sorry about the username similarity. I use it (or a slight variation) on other boards to keep things simple.

Thanks for checking on the problems. We do have the TBs & WBs (on 1B Primary US right now). I was thinking about adding either (or both) the IP or CWP, but didn't know if the online material was the same stuff.

You reference the teaching method, and I'm still lost as to what makes it different. But I ordered "Elementary Mathematics for Teachers", so hopefully that will explain what sets the approach apart from existing models.

Thanks again!

No problem with the user name; I realize that more than one person has a zoo to manage...:)

The book you mentioned and the HIG's (home instructor guides) for Singapore will help you see the difference on teaching "Asian" style math.

The IP is filled with problems that are more challenging than the ones in the workbooks--it is intensive, like the title says. One of my boys enjoys the IP books, the other one thinks they are a form of Medieval torture. He gets through about half the problems anyway. The stuff I saw on the website is not the same as the stuff in the IP books, I'll check out the CWP look alikes later.

The 1-800teacher materials are more like the general workbook than the IP or CWP. I do find them useful when DD needs more practice before moving on. I've never used tests (I use the reviews), but I expect their tests would work well, too.

One caveat on 1800teacher-most of the posters who create materials are actually IN Singapore, and there are multiple Singapore math textbooks, so don't assume a lesson number corresponds to the US edition, and even more so the standards edition.

I think it's well worth it to get the hard copy IP/CWP, if for no other reason than it's good to go back to those books and use them as review later, and if they're there physically, I know I'M more likely to do so.

I will say it's worth it to join 1800teacher just for the forums, because if you ever feel frustrated or need a new way to present a topic, you just search for it, and you'll discover you're not alone-and several possible solutions. Sometimes it's nice to realize that, no, all kids in Singapore don't just sit down with the books and work through the text without any struggles whatsoever!

I looked at the Homeschooling Paradise site. The problems are just similar to what might be in the regular workbook, not the IP or CWP at all. I agree with (capital Z) ZooKeeper in that the thing about Singapore is the method.

The problems I saw on the site (and I looked at some of the grade 5 stuff) were just normal math problems.

Oddly enough, when I had a blog, MY user name was Zoo Keeper.:001_huh:

I guess it's hard to be original anymore these days :blush:

But I'm happy to hear first-hand knowledge of the comparisons. Especially for the 1800-teacher site. At least for the homeschooling-paradise site, I could see the problems. For the 1800-teacher site, I was scared to download anything because I didn't know if the file was legit or not. Now I feel better.