Menu

Pizza dough recipes?

I've been making our bread for a few weeks now. I am really enjoying it. It is very fulfilling for me as I've never been much of a cook. I made some pizza tonight for dinner with a recipe I found online (for the dough). It was okay. Not great. The kids like it, but it was missing something. Not sure what. Do you all have any recipes for pizza dough that you love? Thanks.

I've made this recipe several times, and we all love it:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jays-Signature-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

This is actually our favorite for regular pizza as well. It also works great for a BBQ pizza(we use BBQ sauce, hamburger, bacon, and cheddar cheese-not something that regularly appears!)

For a thinner crust I like to use this one. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/pizzapage.htm

Ok, that is too funny! That is the exact recipe that I used! It did turn out good...I tripled the recipe though b/c of our large family. I don't know, it was just a bit bland? Perhaps I just need to add more spice to the toppings. I don't know. Thanks for that. I'll check out the thinner crust recipe as well. Thanks!

A favorite pizza dough recipe is here:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/main-courses/basic-pizza-crust/

Also her pizzas are great, and one huge favorite is this:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/03/caramelized-onion-prosciutto-pizza/

Last weekend I made it and realized I didn't have all purpose flour, only whole wheat, so I used that, and it was actually pretty good.

I have another recipe that is whole wheat and also good. I used to make this one exclusively before I found Pioneer Woman's above:

http://www.oprah.com/food/Whole-Wheat-Pizza-Dough

This is the recipe I use over the years. It is from Breakin bread with Father Dominic, who had a TV show on PBS some years ago.

FATHER DOMINIC'S PIZZAS

FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH:

1 cup warm water

1 package active dry yeast

2 tablespoons sugar

1 cup warm milk

1/4 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided use

FOR THE PIZZAS:

1 cup sauce

2 cups shredded cheese

Toppings of your choice

Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in large mixing bowl; stir to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes.

Add warm milk, olive oil, salt, cornmeal and 3 cups of the flour; stir until well-blended. Add 1 cup of the flour; mix with your hands until the flour is thoroughly incorporated. Add remaining 1/2 to 1 cup flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, mixing after each addition, until a soft dough is formed that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 6 to 8 minutes, adding small amounts of flour as needed to keep dough manageable. When finished, the dough should be slightly soft but should spring back when pushed. Lightly oil the surface of the dough and put in the rinsed mixing bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 60 to 90 minutes or until doubled.

Punch down dough. Knead about 1 minute. Oil the surface again and place back in bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 60 minutes. (Or let rise in refrigerator for several hours, then let the dough stand at room temperature 30 minutes before proceeding.)

Punch down dough. Briefly knead. Divide dough in half for two 14-inch deep-dish pizzas or into quarters for four 8- to 10-inch pizzas.

My recipe:

2 C flour (All purpose is ok, bread flour is ideal)

1 pkg yeast

2 Tbsp oil

1 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

1 C warm water

The trick for me is to let my mixer mix it for a loooong time (like 15-20 minutes). It seems to make it chewy/crispy rather than doughy. I think I vaguely remember learning this from Alton Brown. I do rise mine for an hour, then punch down, roll out and top to bake.

A favorite variation here (other than the BBQ, ham and/or chicken and cheddar) is clam pizza. I drain and rinse 2 small cans of minced clams and saute in oil with 1-2 cloves of garlic minced fine. I spread ricotta cheese over the shell (which I usually pre-bake, but it isn't necessary) then add the clams/garlic and top with mozz. Bake as usual. MMMMM! No sauce needed at all.

You guys use barbecue sauce on pizza? Instead of tomato sauce? Hmm, now I'm intrigued...

This is a California innovation that came to notice at Wolfgang Puck's original (but since closed) Spago restaurant in West Hollywood in the early 80s. It was especially popular in combination with grilled chicken, red onion, and cilantro toppings.

Then a chain of restaurants called "California Pizza Kitchen" picked up on this (and other Spago-like pizzas) and their "BBQ Chicken Pizza" has become one of their long-running signature dishes. The wood-smoke from their wood fired ovens does help to balance what is a somewhat "sweet" pizza. Traditionalists would certainly "sniff", but as an appetizer or just a departure from the usual these are pretty darn tasty.

Welcome to WTM!

Bill

This is a California innovation that came to notice at Wolfgang Puck's original (but since closed) Spago restaurant in West Hollywood in the early 80s. It was especially popular in combination with grilled chicken, red onion, and cilantro toppings.

Then a chain of restaurants called "California Pizza Kitchen" picked up on this (and other Spago-like pizzas) and their "BBQ Chicken Pizza" has become one of their long-running signature dishes. The wood-smoke from their wood fired ovens does help to balance what is a somewhat "sweet" pizza. Traditionalists would certainly "sniff", but as an appetizer or just a departure from the usual these are pretty darn tasty.

Welcome to WTM!

Bill

BBQ chicken pizza is the best. We mix BBQ sauce with a little pizza sauce. Add grilled chicken, cut into small pieces, mozz, cheddar, red onion and cilantro.

We've been using Jamie Oliver's crust recipe lately:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html

I've found that my local grocery has two types of 00 flour available, and using at least half 00 flour really seems to make the dough MUCH silkier. I often do it about 50/50 tipo 00 flour and whole wheat flour (I add about a half cup extra gluten when I use whole wheat flour.) I can roll this crust out as thin as I want, thinner than any other crust I've found. It works well after storing in the fridge for a week too, so sometimes I'll make crust for a Friday night dinner and still have crust for next Friday's dinner. It keeps fine in the fridge for the week in between.

It does make a LOT of crust, though--like 8 or 9 15-inch thin crusts, which serve 1-2 people each! You can also roll out crusts, and put them on a cookie sheet covered with wax/parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal, and then freeze. Bag when frozen solid and flat. Then you'll have a supply of ready-to-go crusts, which is very convenient!