Menu

starting time?

Sometime between 9 and 10. Although I'd love to get my first grader finished between 8 and 9 so he only has a smattering of things do do afterwards and to get my older kids reading or something while they eat breakfast, but apparently they aren't morning people either. :001_smile:

What time do you normally start school in the morning? We try to start between 8:30-9...and I was wondering if I was in the norm or not.

There is no norm here. My son starts about 7 am, he gets up around 6. My oldest starts around 7:30/8. She gets up about 7/7:30. Middle daughter starts about 9. She doesn't lift her head from the pillow until at least 8. I get up anytime between 5:30 and 7:30 these days. It also means they end at different times.

We start around 8:15 or 8:30. My DS9 gets up before 7, gets dressed, and starts his Saxon Math on his own. So, he gets a nice early start. We all get up around 7:00, eat, dress, have a short Islamic Studies lesson (read-aloud) at breakfast, then get to the school room around 8:30.

I like for us to start around 10, but I've been getting up pretty late lately. The two youngest boys and I have been sleeping in until 9. They are my alarm clocks. They both climb into be with me anywhere between 5 and 7 and go back to sleep.

The two older kids get up and play until I make an appearance. I think I would fall over dead if they started on their school work on their own.

We are supposed to start at 8:00 a.m. We have a farm and have lots of afternoon and evening chores as well as fun things we want to do so we need to get our school done early! If school's not done, no trail ride! But...since I've been injured, I've been sleeping in later and we've been starting more like 9:00 a.m. After my surgery (and hopefully complete recovery!) we will be back on our 8:00 a.m. schedule.

We used to start school with devotions between 9:15 and 9:45. Since I started doing devotions with the kids while they eat their breakfast before they get dressed, we're starting at around 8:45. After devotions they quickly get dressed, and then we're doing math by 9:15 at the outside.

We start at 9:30. I have tried and tried to start earlier (and explained to the kids that the earlier we start, the earlier we finish), but dd9 simply can't do it. Every time I have forced her to get ready and start earlier has been a disaster, and I finally realized ... um, we homeschool, we can do it however we want! I don't have to feel like a failure because some people start at 7:30. :o ;) :D

Tara