Menu

Latin Prep 1 and 2 followed by??

8filltheheart

I am a little confused by which would be next in the sequence. I am looking for a Latin 2 high school credit. Ds finished LP 1 and will be finished with 2 before the end of this yr.

Do I follow with Latin Prep 3 or SYRWTL Latin 3? Or should I switch to a more traditional Latin text? (though I am not sure I want to do that b/c he LOVES LP)

Thanks!

We followed the same path. After Latin Prep 2 you go into SYRWTL 2. A few things might be review but by and large it's new material.

Just verifying......SYRWTL Latin 2 not 3? Ok. For some reason I had thought it was 3, but I have started and stopped Latin so many times, there is NO WAY I'm trusting anything I think.

This ds......he LOVES Latin and plans on going through AP. (Not sure where he actually came from. :lol:)

Laura Corin had said the author recommended doing Latin Prep through book 3, then moving to SYRWTL Latin book 3, which goes farther than LP3. After that sequence, they are supposed to ready for original works. I don't see why Pam's path wouldn't work just as well, though. It would achieve the same objective, especially for an older student.

Edited by Paula in PA

The sequence that was recommended to me by the publisher was LP1, LP2 and LP3 followed by SY 3 then on to original texts. Some people have found it better to add in extra consolidation by doing LP1, LP2, SY2, LP3, SY3.

FWIW, we did LP1, LP2 then LP3, but we did find LP3 tough and had to repeat some sections. Doing SY2 first might have been better for us.

Laura

Thank you Ladies.

Does it take a full yr to work through SL2? They will have had no problem getting through both LP 1 & 2 this yr.

I'm going to go ahead and order SY2. I am just wondering if SL is meant for a whole yr or if he could work through SL2 and LP 3 in 1 if he wants to take an AP 12th?

I don't know anyone using these texts. Everyone I know has used either Henle or Wheelock or Artes Latinae. But they added Latin to their schedule on their own (seriously!!) and they both love it. He really wants to take an AP, so I am just flying blind as how to get there. I know dd (only in 6th) will be able to make it that far (not that she cares!). It is ds I am worried about.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you Ladies.

Does it take a full yr to work through SL2? They will have had no problem getting through both LP 1 & 2 this yr.

SY2 would be a full year's work for someone coming from SY1, but if you have done LP2 already, I would guess that you would move faster.

Laura

The sequence that was recommended to me by the publisher was LP1, LP2 and LP3 followed by SY 3 then on to original texts. Some people have found it better to add in extra consolidation by doing LP1, LP2, SY2, LP3, SY3.

FWIW, we did LP1, LP2 then LP3, but we did find LP3 tough and had to repeat some sections. Doing SY2 first might have been better for us.

Laura

I like that plan. My dd likes it even more. She was all :D when she realized it meant an additional year of her favorite subject. I'm enjoying it, too, but she LOVES it!

• 3 months later...
OT: I just received LP1 in the mail, & wow, it's skinny. I thought it was meant to be a full year text, but, uh...

10ch...? I've looked through it; they're dense (but skinny!) chapters. Help!

Disclaimer: I haven't used LP, but I have used SYRWTLL which also is skinny and has 10 chapters.

I've found each book to be a full year. There is a lot of material covered even though at first glance it doesn't look like it.

Disclaimer: I haven't used LP, but I have used SYRWTLL which also is skinny and has 10 chapters.

I've found each book to be a full year. There is a lot of material covered even though at first glance it doesn't look like it.

Thank you! After looking at it, I could see spreading it out, but then I looked at my plans: 2-3pp/week??? And then...well, I needed some affirmation that I wasn't...too lame in my Latin plans. :lol:

I've got the workbooks to go w/ it, & yeah, it's dense, & the way it's written inspires tons of extra work--ds will love that. :lol:

Thank you! After looking at it, I could see spreading it out, but then I looked at my plans: 2-3pp/week??? And then...well, I needed some affirmation that I wasn't...too lame in my Latin plans. :lol:

I've got the workbooks to go w/ it, & yeah, it's dense, & the way it's written inspires tons of extra work--ds will love that. :lol:

IIRC, one exercise from the text per day with two workbook pages a day at the end of each chapter works out to somewhere between 170 and 180 days, and vocabulary drills are expected but are not part of the text itself (we do some each day).