Menu

Does anyone else not have it in their spirit to give anon neg rep? nt

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely changed my OP and ETA: I would not leave anonymous negative rep. If I felt the need to give negative rep, which I never have btw, I would also have the gumption to sign my name.

I would, however, leave negative rep if I felt the circumstances warranted. If someone was entirely out of control (note: a difference of opinion is not just cause), I would not hestitate to leave negative rep.

Sorry for the earlier confusion. I missed the word "anonymous".

I don't give negative reps. I like to let others know I enjoy their posts. But I have yet to read anything so awful that I would give bad rep. Maybe if someone was selling and not being honest (not paying or not sending the goods) but I would still leave my name. I enjoy reading all of the views here, whether I agree or don't.

I own a message board, i had the option to leave on or turn off a few things.

I chose to turn them off. The hard feelings that they would create in my smallish group isn't worth the "fun" it might be at times.

I didn't even KNOW that the Rep stuff existed here until today...

I've never left negative rep and don't plan to. If a person were really out of line, I'd rather send them a PM or, if it's clear that won't have any effect, flag their posts for the moderators to deal with. Happily there are very, very few people here who are rude enough to make that sort of thing necessary.

Nope- I don't give out negative rep either, anonymous or otherwise.

Sometimes I remember to give positive rep, though! The first few times I gave positive rep, I didn't know I was supposed to sign my name... so some of you may have received anon positive rep from me. ;)

I will not give out neg rep, anonymously or otherwise. I think skewering someone with neg rep is juvenile, cowardly, and unkind.

:iagree: Well said.

I just hate the negative rep. If I have something that I would like to say to someone and can't say it politely and graciously, then I probably should not be saying it.

Oh, I can't imagine giving any negative rep at all, anonymous or not.

I am quoting you to say that I love your sig line! That is so funny.:D

Aren't we a fine pair? I quote Shrek and you qoute the Simpsons!:lol:

:If I have something that I would like to say to someone and can't say it politely and graciously, then I probably should not be saying it.

:iagree: I don't give negative rep. and certainly not anonymously. I have had a few times when I chose not to say anything at all.

No matter how much something bothers me I just figure everyone is different and we all view things in our own way. Live and let live. :)

:iagree: and as far as anonymous well-- if they can't leave their name then how serious can a person take it? It would hold more weight if it were signed.

Personally if something bothers you that bad then it would probably be in your best interest to confront the person privately by an email or pm. This is of course my opinion. I don't see that giving them a negative rep. is a good choice because it may affect if they would post at all after that and you never know what they could add to this board sometime in the future.

I'm rather new to this, and still trying to work out how it all works.

There seem to be green blocks and blue blocks. What do these mean?

My other question is how would you give someone a positive rep (i.e. the mechanics) and also under what circumstances?

Thanks for your help.

My other question is how would you give someone a positive rep (i.e. the mechanics) and also under what circumstances?

Thanks for your help.

check the rep sticky at the top of the thread list in this forum :)

Thanks for your help.

Hey Willow!

Do you see the scale on the right hand side of the page? You click on that and a box pops up. You can choose to give negative rep or positive rep. I have given positive rep for things that made me laugh or wise counsel given and because some people (cough*anj*cough) :D beg shamelessly for it. You can use it at your discretion.

I believe there is a sticky concerning the colors.:001_smile:

Nope- I don't give out negative rep either, anonymous or otherwise.

Sometimes I remember to give positive rep, though! The first few times I gave positive rep, I didn't know I was supposed to sign my name... so some of you may have received anon positive rep from me. ;)

This is me too! I just don't see the purpose of negative rep. If I had a bad experience, say, on the for sale board, I would probably post it right on the thread.

I had to laugh when I read your anon. positive rep statement! I've done that too! I didn't know I had to sign it in order to know it came from me! :)

I've never left negative rep and don't plan to. If a person were really out of line, I'd rather send them a PM...

I haven't given anyone neg. rep., anonymously or otherwise, and I don't plan to.

If something really bothers me, I figure if PMing them, or responding in the thread doesn't affect any change, then I'm better off just rolling my eyes and clicking away, or griping to my husband or a buddy. :)

It might just be a personality thing. I'm betting that anyone I would disagree with and give negative rep to would have a battalion of folks giving them positive rep for the exact same thing, lol. I'd much rather positively reinforce what I see as constructive/positive contributions, than spend time/energy focusing on the negative. (I think that Kelli's advice about evaluating negative rep you receive is great...I'd link it if I had it.)

I feel the same as you, Doran. It is there for a reason. Hopefully, we won't experience a circumstance that warrants it, but you just never know. I would not be willing to stand by and see someone victimized (as you, not talking about differing opinions here). I would sign my name though.

Well, I put my name on pos rep, it only seems fair I should put my name to negative rep also. It is a matter of intrgrity. I am not going to sign my name to something unless I am sure there is a constructive reason for my feedback. I would also never leave negative rep without explaining why.

FTR I've only done it once, and have questioned myself ever since.

I've given positive reps only to let someone know I appreciate their posts. I could never give negative reps.

The first few I did ended up being anon because I had no idea I had to sign my name. I figured the computer would mark my notes.

Hey Willow!

Do you see the scale on the right hand side of the page? You click on that and a box pops up. You can choose to give negative rep or positive rep. I have given positive rep for things that made me laugh or wise counsel given and because some people (cough*anj*cough) :D beg shamelessly for it. You can use it at your discretion.

I believe there is a sticky concerning the colors.:001_smile:

Thank you!

Willow

I have never given neg rep, positive or negative. I have wanted to a few times but I waited, cooled off and was glad I did. That just is not in my nature to leave bad things anyway.

I always figured that the first time I left neg rep there would be a sticky posted right after saying, "FYI, your name will now be left along with your negative rep." :lol:

I'm another who won't give neg rep... if something was that offensive, I'd reply and sign my name. I sign my name to positive rep too, for the most part!

I only gave negative rep once because the thread was already locked before I could reply. So, I gave neg rep but I signed my name to it. I give out positive rep for all sorts of reasons, I try to give out *some* positive rep every day!

I have never given negative rep, although I try to give all my positive away each day. I would pm someone before giving negative rep. In fact, the only reason why I could imagine leaving a negative rep would be if they cheated me in a sale and I would leave my name.

I have never done a neg rep and have a hard time thinking of a time I would do one. What does it prove? Who does it help?

If someone is really nasty I would lift them up in prayer before I would neg rep them.

No specifics, just wondering.

I have not given neg rep but I sure thought about it with one person. Not only did I frequently disagree with her frequent authoritatively pronounced statements, but I thought she was a poster who was frequently very abusive and caustic toward others while also being quick to take offense.

I decided not to give negative rep points, but ended up just putting her on my ignore list. I just checked and couldn't find her listed as a member anymore (but I'm not sure what incident might have prompted her leaving or being removed).

FWIW, if I were going to leave negative rep, I might do it without signing it. If there were a person that I thought was really in need of being flagged as unreliable (ie making untrue or really inflammatory statements), a troll or otherwise actively involved in undermining the board community I might add my neg rep as a warning to others. But those being my hypothetical criteria, I don't think I would want to hand such a person another target. However, the fact that I haven't found a situation that warrants neg rep yet probably means that I won't need to explore that possibility.

If someone disagrees with me, even in a strongly worded way, I don't think that's cause for a negative rep.

If someone is being purposely obnoxious and rude, I think for the most part, they are doing it for attention. I don't feed the ugliness monster with attention:)

I don't know if I could ever give negative rep. I'd prefer to call someone out publicly or private message them if I felt they were wrong. The only thing I can see using the negative rep for is the sale/swap board, but I don't use that board. If I did use that board and felt the need to give negative rep, I would not do it anonymously. I have given positive rep anonymously, most often out of laziness.

You're wondering if...you're the only one who is too kind to do that? Is that really the question? lol There are lots of kind-spirted people here.

And I don't see the point of any of the positive or negative "rep" junk so I don't partake. :)

Darn, I usually don't join in pat-self-on-the-back threads. Pooh. :001_huh:

You're wondering if...you're the only one who is too kind to do that? Is that really the question? lol There are lots of kind-spirted people here.

And I don't see the point of any of the positive or negative "rep" junk so I don't partake. :)

Darn, I usually don't join in pat-self-on-the-back threads. Pooh. :001_huh:

For me, it's rather than no one need look at their negative rep and think, "Was it she?" They can more easily say, "Nope. Wasn't her."

I don't mind patting myself on the back for having the courage to stand behind all my words all the time. Yay, me. :D

I agree that there are a TON of kind-spirited people here. And I daresay that even most who have left negative rep are in fact kind-spirited but simply have a different notion of what is kind. Kelli in TN says it best when she talks about getting negative anon rep and having it be a reality check where she doesn't have to know who it was. That she can then take it or leave it after considering it. So those folks who do post anon negative rep can pat themselves on the back with equal alacrity and self-assurance. :001_smile:

I have neg rep'd someone...not recently. And she deserved it. She met all the stated requirements for neg rep- rude, caustic, attacking another personally etc.

I love being able to positive rep!

There sure seems to be a lot of agreeing and willingness to private message. I can't imagine PMing someone who I feel is insulting and rude- I guess I'm chicken, but there it is.

I would never neg rep for a difference of opinion, that's just foolish. The criteria states it is to be used for cases of crudeness, rudeness, and insensitivity in the extreme. We rarely see it, but I'd neg rep again if I did.

Jo