Menu

Please help with Math curriculum...

Guest dvp4

Hi! I'm new here and have been lurking:) for a while. I hope I am posting this to the correct section.

I am new to homeschooling and have a Dd who has a LD in the area of math and also has ADD. She was in ps and is now hs high school. She is currently behind in math.

Dd is taking an online AlgebraI class...I am looking for a AlgebraI curriculum to supplement this class, one that has practice problems with a step by step solutions manual and an easy to understand text so that I can learn along side of her to be able to help her when she has questions.

I have looked at TT, but am concerned that it is behind grade level as she is already very behind. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!!

Hi! I'm new here and have been lurking:) for a while. I hope I am posting this to the correct section.

I am new to homeschooling and have a Dd who has a LD in the area of math and also has ADD. She was in ps and is now hs high school. She is currently behind in math.

Dd is taking an online AlgebraI class...I am looking for a AlgebraI curriculum to supplement this class, one that has practice problems with a step by step solutions manual and an easy to understand text so that I can learn along side of her to be able to help her when she has questions.

I have looked at TT, but am concerned that it is behind grade level as she is already very behind. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!!

Lial has great explanations, and lots of practice problems. I prefer the developmental series here, but she does have another series that has less color, it doesn't have the practice problem side bars with the instructions. Here is the developmental series from the publisher. They also have videos. :D

The student solutions manual works out every other problem in detail (all the odd). If you wanted all the problems worked out in detail I assume you have to buy the teacher's manual, though you might want to call and ask first. I generally find Person pretty easy to deal with, but you will have to give them proof that you are a homeschooler before they will send you the TM.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alexis121

One of the best math curriculum reviews is about the game called "Over and Out" that is a numbers game designed for all ages. It teaches the values of numbers and is a great teaching tool for addition and subtraction. It keeps kids interested in math and learning.

There are many attributes of the game such as being an educational tool for the entire family as a card game that gets everyone involved with the simple adding and subtracting lessons. It is easy to set up and play. It makes learning math a fun experience for everyone.

The game includes 72 cards 5 tip top cards 32 chips in 8 colors with 4 colors in each group instructions and is designed for 2 to 8 players. The object of the game is to be the last player in the game by eliminating the other players of their chips.

51u1YNI7TgL._SL75_.jpgOver and OutAmazon Price: $5.98

List Price: $9.99

Each round a has a tip top limit by adding your cards to the pile without going over the limit for tip tops. The game builds excitement as it progresses as well as the learning of the players.

Teach children that math is an absolute function. They will grasp the concept of math when they learn it is a "black and white" function without any variables. Mentally it is easier to understand math when the entire rationale is explained in terms that child can understand and apply.

Some practices to use for the curriculum is to use percentages at the grocery store. Take the child with you for the weekly outing. Show them how to use percentages for the purchase of different foods. This is also a lesson plan that can be used by teachers.

Take the mathematics lessons to the purchase of video games clothing electronics cell phones (one of the loves of kids today) and other items the kids desire to buy. Show them how if they buy the items on sale or at a discounted price the savings in the percentage.

Use a tape measure to show the variances in measurements. Use the tape measure for addition subtraction and fractions. This will be an interesting concept for kids from sewing building or constructing projects and even for electronics. They will love the fact the numbers all add up to the right answer they need to reach any of their personal goals.

Mix up the mathematical functions by using recipes to change the tablespoon to a teaspoon measurement. The kids that enjoy cooking will grasp this lesson with zealous and excitement.

For the kids that are interested in electricity or appliances use the conversion of Ohms to show how mathematics can be applied for the everyday use.

When the math curriculum is an interesting process the kids will want to learn more about the essential lessons. Use the math curriculum reviews on our blog to help you find the best lessons. :iagree:

In all honesty, I think your concern about TT being behind a grade level isn't really something to worry about it your situation. I'd be more worried about the fact that she's enrolled in a math class that doesn't suit the needs of a student with a math LD who is already behind. KWIM?

You may want to consider if she's ready for the class, not easy I realize, if she's half way through it. Did she take a placement test? If she was ready for the class to begin with, meaning she's got all the math that came before algebra down pat, and it's just that she's not been able to keep up, Lial's might help. As Heather mentioned, Lial's is great, especially its solution manual. Step by step.

What text is the online algebra class using? It might be helpful information to decide what other curriculum might be a good supplement.

<Gently>...I sense something in your post I've seen in myself: focusing on choosing a challenging curriculum and not who the kid in front of me is and where she's at right now. Don't be afraid to meet her where she's is. If she's so behind in the online class that it's causing her unnecessary stress and frustration, it will magnify the effects of her LD and ADD. (Ask me how I know. ;)) Also, depending on her learning style, online classes are not always a good match, particularly in an area where she already has challenges. IMHO, online classes work best with dc who are strong auditory learners, though it might depend on the visuals that are used.

Let us know how you and your dd are doing. Lots of others are in similiar situations and anything you learn through this may help them.:)

<Gently>...I sense something in your post I've seen in myself: focusing on choosing a challenging curriculum and not who the kid in front of me is and where she's at right now. Don't be afraid to meet her where she's is. If she's so behind in the online class that it's causing her unnecessary stress and frustration, it will magnify the effects of her LD and ADD. (Ask me how I know. ;)) Also, depending on her learning style, online classes are not always a good match, particularly in an area where she already has challenges. IMHO, online classes work best with dc who are strong auditory learners, though it might depend on the visuals that are used.

I agree... I had to do the same thing! Finding the balance between creating a challenge but NOT stress for these learners is a challenge in itself. Overall, I agree though...make the 1-1 work the work where her deficit lies and start where in a place where she feels successful already. have you tried Math U See? I believe they have an algrebra progam. Although my son is middle school, I brought him back to the beginning so that he could "see" math from a different angle and overall he has really grasped and appreciated SEEING the visual math patterns of basic addition that exist "OFF" paper computations and algarythyms.

Best wishes!

You might look at the videos on http://www.khanacademy.com to supplement what she's doing in school. The videos on graphing show exactly what happens when you change a number in the equation. It's pretty cool and adds a visual element that may be missing from the online class.

Or you could try Math U See because it's kinesthetic. The students build equations with blocks.

If you search for algebra manipulatives on Amazon, you will find some cool hands-on resources.

Thank you all so much for helping me!

When I say Dd is behind in math, I mean she is over a year behind! She is 16 and doing AlgebraI. I am concerned because she needs pre-calc to satisfy entrance requirements for state universities and we are running out of time IMO.

She is about 1/4 of the way through her online class. She is doing "ok" considering, 86% is her current grade. The problem is that I don't think the class presents concepts as effectively as I would like (I reteach until she understands), and it doesn't have enough practice/review problems. I make up practice and review sheets myself, but as the concepts get more complicated I can see this will be difficult to do properly.

After reading the replies, I am torn between starting over with TT or continuing on using Lials as a supplement teaching aid. I just don't know how to decide which option has the best chance for success considering her LD and ADD. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much for helping me!

When I say Dd is behind in math, I mean she is over a year behind! She is 16 and doing AlgebraI. I am concerned because she needs pre-calc to satisfy entrance requirements for state universities and we are running out of time IMO.

She is about 1/4 of the way through her online class. She is doing "ok" considering, 86% is her current grade. The problem is that I don't think the class presents concepts as effectively as I would like (I reteach until she understands), and it doesn't have enough practice/review problems. I make up practice and review sheets myself, but as the concepts get more complicated I can see this will be difficult to do properly.

After reading the replies, I am torn between starting over with TT or continuing on using Lials as a supplement teaching aid. I just don't know how to decide which option has the best chance for success considering her LD and ADD. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

I know every high school students dream is to attend the big school away from home. And the further the better LOL. But it may be more advantageous for her to attend a smaller community college first, near home. They often have remedial type math classes to gently bring a person up where they need to be math wise. They are designed for those needing to review skills after being out of school for a long time and for those who struggle with those skills.