Menu

WWE Advice Needed for a 3rd grader; CW users can weigh in too!

hlee

So, after using Classical Writing Primer last year, I decided to switch to Writing With Ease for my 3rd grader this year after hearing a talk Susan Wise Bauer gave about the writing process, which seemed to make sense to me. I went back and started using Writing With Ease 2 since my son hadn't had tons of experience with narration and at times this year we have struggled with it.

But at the same time, he is a strong reader, an avid creative writer, and so sometimes I've wondered if I am doing the right thing with either using WWE or with keeping him in WWE2.

Today, I decided to let him just write out his narration instead of verbally expressing it and having me write it out, etc. He seemed to do much better writing it out himself than having to verbalize it first like usual.

So my questions are: 1) should I just have him write out his narrations instead of verbally expressing them first? Is there value in having him orally summarize if he can do it in written form? 2) Should I just skip WWE2 and jump into WWE3, or are there other skills that perhaps we should master from WWE2 and thus keep going through it? (We are in week 23 right now.)

I looked at IEW, but I just didn't click with it. I may still use Classical Writing. Just can't decide what will be best for him! Any advice from the Hive??? Thanks so much.

In WWE 3 he will read and write on his own. And the dictations get longer and harder. So yes, it is fine to just have him write his narrations.

There aren"t really any other skills in WWE 2, they just get harder. To speed my kids through WWE, I just jumped to the levels talked about in the hardback. So the section you are on is weeks 20- 27, if I felt like they had it down then we jumped to week 28. They might have done a few sections in that section (weeks 28-35), then we would move on to the final- week 36.

But at the same time, he is a strong reader, an avid creative writer, and so sometimes I've wondered if I am doing the right thing with either using WWE or with keeping him in WWE2.

I don't think you can go wrong with getting the skills in WWE 1-3 down pat (I do think WWE 4 takes the difficulty of dictation a bit far ;)). If he does creative writing on his own that is great, you don't have to foster that, most writers write.

I think that Writing Tales is a great step after WWE 3. Much easier to use then CW (not that CW is too dificult with the student books). I also am thinking about moving into CW, I did OB- Maxim with my sis, but I don't think it is going to work for for my next one. I don't know what we are going to do. I am thinking of doing WWS, but he is doing fine at outlines and I don't know if it will work for us either.

In WWE 3 he will read and write on his own. And the dictations get longer and harder. So yes, it is fine to just have him write his narrations.

There aren"t really any other skills in WWE 2, they just get harder. To speed my kids through WWE, I just jumped to the levels talked about in the hardback. So the section you are on is weeks 20- 27, if I felt like they had it down then we jumped to week 28. They might have done a few sections in that section (weeks 28-35), then we would move on to the final- week 36.

I don't think you can go wrong with getting the skills in WWE 1-3 down pat (I do think WWE 4 takes the difficulty of dictation a bit far ;)). If he does creative writing on his own that is great, you don't have to foster that, most writers write.

:iagree: with all of the above!

My only advice would be to do what works for your son. If he gets the same or better results by writing out narrations then let him have at it.

Same with curriculum. Use what works. For dd WWE didn't work. As much as I wanted it to work, I simply had to give it up and go with something else.