Menu

HIgh School sports when enrolled in Home school charter school *HELP!!!!

Hi there,

I am trying to help out a friend with her daughter trying to swim for the local public high school swim team. She is enrolled with a home school charter and wants to swim with the high school that is in her district. Do any of you have experience with this? if so, would you be specific as to the steps that you or your sponsoring school took to make this happen? Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing which charter school and which traditional public school. I need examples of how and where it has worked. By the way, we live in Monterey, CA so CA examples would be great!

Thank you so much (in advance!)

FYI .. The assistant swim coach is her mom, and she would be the most talented swimmer on the team. It's not an issue of the team not wanting her (they do) it is an issue of it never have been done before. This could pave the way for lots of kids.

Julie in Monterey

Since your friend's dd is enrolled in a public school charter, shouldn't the facilitator of the charter be working with your friend and the other public school? The daughter is legally a public school student, not a private school student (homeschools are private schools), so there will be different issues for her situation than what homeschoolers have to deal with.

Ok. so I am on the parent board of our home school *public* charter school. The school offers no organized sports. The home school charter is funded publicly. Yes, the public charter is willing to work with the public district. They just have never been asked before (hard to believe) so I'm hoping to give some examples in case we run up against some resistance. I'm personally vetted in this as I'll have a high schooler in a couple of years that will want to do the same.

Julie in Monterey

Look at your state and local regs. In NY it is up to the individual school district and even then, some districts leave it up to the individual principal. In my local district, the BoE voted to prohibit students from charter/private/home schools from participating in ps sports and other activities.