Menu

My crockpot is smoking!

Hmmm...

I got a new crockpot for Christmas. I plugged it in the day after Christmas and, after about 5 minutes, I saw little wisps of smoke coming out of the bottom. I called the company and they sent me a new crockpot (that I received today, so much for 7-10 business days). I plugged it in, saw the same small wisps of smoke and unplugged it.

:glare:

Did I get two bummer crockpots or is it "normal" for a new small appliance to smoke when first used? If the later is the case, does that mean I have two new crockpots for the price of one??

Hmmm...

I got a new crockpot for Christmas. I plugged it in the day after Christmas and, after about 5 minutes, I saw little wisps of smoke coming out of the bottom. I called the company and they sent me a new crockpot (that I received today, so much for 7-10 business days). I plugged it in, saw the same small wisps of smoke and unplugged it.

:glare:

Did I get two bummer crockpots or is it "normal" for a new small appliance to smoke when first used? If the later is the case, does that mean I have two new crockpots for the price of one??

Have you checked to see if you've removed all of the packing material? Is there anything between the crock and the heating unit? (I'm assuming you've washed it before using, so you would have seen that.)

I don't think it's normal. I had a crock pot element burn out once. It was pretty scary because it happened while I was out. I came home and noticed I didn't smell dinner. The metal bottom of the outside part was all melted.

I'd do some googling to see if there's a pattern of this with your brand. Is it an actual Crock Pot, Rival brand? If so, I've never heard of that happening and I've been using Rival for years.

ETA: It could be burn off of the "newness" now that I think about it. I still don't remember mine doing that, but maybe it's not a big deal after all. I'd still research if I were you.