Menu

Handwriting Quality in Kinder-1st?

How "nice and neat" is handwriting in Kinder-1st? I have almost perfect (:001_smile:, engineer in me) penmanship so I'm trying not to expect too much, but man...DD's handwriting leaves something to be desired...I think? It's legible but "sloppy". Is that on par for a little one? :confused:

I have one ds whose handwriting was perfect in K. Now he's not nearly as neat because he's learned to write more quickly. My ds who struggled a little more with letter formation has very neat handwriting now in 4th.

In K-1, I would look more for the child to understand letter formation (how a "d" differs from a "b", for example; starting each letter at the correct spot; learning to correctly distinguish between tall letters, short letters, letters that extend below the writing line). Neatness comes with practice. :)

Cat

In K-1, I would look more for the child to understand letter formation (how a "d" differs from a "b", for example; starting each letter at the correct spot; learning to correctly distinguish between tall letters, short letters, letters that extend below the writing line). Neatness comes with practice. :)

Cat

:iagree: My dd7 started out sloppy, got very good, then started to speed up and got sloppy again. She has beautiful print if she takes her time, but not so much when she gets in a hurry.

Dd5 seems to be following the same path. She is sloppy learning them, but the ones she knows are nice. I figure when she knows them all and speeds up she will get sloppy again.:tongue_smilie: