Menu

February, bleh! Anyone else feel the same way? (long and rambling)

I don't know what it is, but I'm in a slump. I just feel blah. I told myself that I will make us do school this week. We did well Mon and Tues, but here it is Weds and we've done almost nothing. Not to mention that I cannot believe that it is only Weds. :confused:

I just feel like we need something more. We moved here in Sept and have not connected with anyone. We left a large church when we moved and it basically filled the socialization aspect for us. We now go to a small church, but it is growing. There are some kids there and groups are getting started, but it is slow. Besides, I don't necessarily think it's the church's responsibility to fill that void for us, kwim?

I have tried to connect with homeschooling groups in the area, but we have no car during the day, which is usually a problem. I have tried to get my kids interested in some of the rec league sports, but they aren't interested.

How do you connect with other kids and moms? What do you do when you're in a slump and taking time off isn't an option (we've done enough of that already)?

Talk to me. :bigear:

:grouphug:

I hate February.

Is there a public transportation system in your area that's accessible to you?

And do you feel strongly about your social activities being mainly homeschool activities? Maybe you could sign up for some late afternoon or evening activities (theater, community choir, gymnastics....) to connect with families with similar interests who don't necessarily homeschool.

And :grouphug: again. I do hate February.

Cat

Is there a public transportation system in your area that's accessible to you?

Actually, yes. I'll have to look into that.

And do you feel strongly about your social activities being mainly homeschool activities? Maybe you could sign up for some late afternoon or evening activities (theater, community choir, gymnastics....) to connect with families with similar interests who don't necessarily homeschool.

And :grouphug: again. I do hate February.

Cat

No, the activities do not have to be homeschool activities. I am going to look into a local gymnastics place. My two youngest would love that, actually.

Thanks.

Any museums close by? If you can get some transportation (like suggested above) going to a museum is a good way to beat the blahs.

Lately, we've been going to our city's ice rink once a week during the day too. Usually the crowd is retirees, people on the their lunch trying to get some exercise, and (surprise) homeschoolers.

Check Yahoo Groups and see if there's a mom's group or homeschooling group in your town that actively posts. It's a good way to meet people and set up getting together.

February is just generally ick for me too. Sometimes just planning some art projects or baking something with the kids is a good way to get you feeling a more fun vibe.

I don't know what it is, but I'm in a slump. I just feel blah. I told myself that I will make us do school this week. We did well Mon and Tues, but here it is Weds and we've done almost nothing. Not to mention that I cannot believe that it is only Weds. :confused:

I just feel like we need something more. We moved here in Sept and have not connected with anyone. We left a large church when we moved and it basically filled the socialization aspect for us. We now go to a small church, but it is growing. There are some kids there and groups are getting started, but it is slow. Besides, I don't necessarily think it's the church's responsibility to fill that void for us, kwim?

I have tried to connect with homeschooling groups in the area, but we have no car during the day, which is usually a problem. I have tried to get my kids interested in some of the rec league sports, but they aren't interested.

How do you connect with other kids and moms? What do you do when you're in a slump and taking time off isn't an option (we've done enough of that already)?

Talk to me. :bigear:

I see that you live in New England. Where did you move from? Winter in the north is difficult for many people. Have you ever read this book? http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Blues-Revised-Everything-Affective/dp/1593851162/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297278026&sr=8-1

I follow many of the suggestions in that book and they helped me a lot. It's not a homeschooling book, but now I plan my school year with awareness that I will likely feel "blah" in January and February. Our school work is often done by the fireplace in the winter. We read a lot--and that counts as school. We work harder in fall to get through workbooks and other materials because I know winter will be tough.

Also a quick little pick-me-up suggestion: buy some flowering bulbs, house plants and/or home fragrances. You can even start growing some seeds indoors and call it "science" for school.

I see that you live in New England. Where did you move from? Winter in the north is difficult for many people. Have you ever read this book? http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Blues-Revised-Everything-Affective/dp/1593851162/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297278026&sr=8-1

I follow many of the suggestions in that book and they helped me a lot. It's not a homeschooling book, but now I plan my school year with awareness that I will likely feel "blah" in January and February. Our school work is often done by the fireplace in the winter. We read a lot--and that counts as school. We work harder in fall to get through workbooks and other materials because I know winter will be tough.

Also a quick little pick-me-up suggestion: buy some flowering bulbs, house plants and/or home fragrances. You can even start growing some seeds indoors and call it "science" for school.

I am going to see if my library has that book. Thanks for the suggestion. I have lived in the north all my life. But every February I dream of warm sunshine. Sunny days that are 20 degrees don't cut it. :glare:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions/commiseration.