Menu

? about taking probiotics while taking antibiotics

My doctor prescribed the antibiotic Bactrim for my sinus infection to be taken twice daily. She said to take a probiotic along with it to keep the "good" bacteria flourishing so I don't get a yeast infection. I bought a bottle of "Super Strength Probiotic Acidophilus" which says it containes "2 billion Active cultures" in each caplet.

My question is should I take a caplet with each dose of antibiotic, or just one a day like the directions say? I'm thinking the directions are assuming you are just taking it for regular intestinal health, not taking into consideration that you might be on an anitbiotic. I don't know if it's possible to have too much acidophilus - if that could be harmful or not.

My question is should I take a caplet with each dose of antibiotic, or just one a day like the directions say? I'm thinking the directions are assuming you are just taking it for regular intestinal health, not taking into consideration that you might be on an anitbiotic. I don't know if it's possible to have too much acidophilus - if that could be harmful or not.

When I'm on an antibiotic, I take the probiotic halfway between antibiotic doses in the amount listed on the bottle. This has always kept the antibiotic from causing intestinal issues.

I have taken too much probiotics before. I have a history of severe yeast issues and for a about 7 years I've been taking a brand with 35 billion cfu. For the first few years, I could take 6 or 7 (occasionally more) of those with no problems from taking too many. I did have some die off symptoms but that was different than when I take too many. As time as and I've rebuilt my system I can only take 1.5 per day or I now have intestinal cramping and looseness (TmI, I know :) ).

so, yes, you can take too much but with only 2 billion cfu I think you have a long way to go before you would have a problem.

(Additional info: becasuse I take a capsule I generally just take 1 every other day to average about 1.5 per day).

If you take it with the antibiotic (at the same time) the antibiotic will kill off the probiotic just like it kills your existing good intestinal bacteria. You want to take it at least 3 hours after--some say 1/2 way between doses.

Every time you take the antibiotic you are killing off anything you've taken. You need to redose after each antibiotic dose.

All great advice, which I wish I'd known back in October when dh went on horribly strong antibiotics. Actually, I did know it, but we were neglectful since we were on vacation. We always seem to get sick on vacation ... regardless of everything we take and do.

Here's the research I came up with. Very much the same as the replies

already given.

Take an extra dose of probiotics a few days before taking antibiotics. An extra dose could be an additional 10 billion CFU of probiotics supplement or a serving of yogurt or kefir.

Do not take probiotics and antibiotics at the same time. Taking both at the same time simply defeats the purpose as the friendly bacteria will be totally destroyed by the drug.

During the period of antibiotics intake, take two or more doses of probiotics in the day time. Take probiotics either halfway between antibiotic doses in the amount listed on the bottle, or at least 3 hours apart from the antibiotic.

Obtain a variety of bacteria by taking yogurt and kefir or supplements with six different bacteria strains.

Keep on taking an extra dose of probiotics a day for one week after the completion of antibiotics medication to replenish the good bacteria.

Support the growth of your good bacteria by eating a diet high in fiber.