Menu

General MFW question

From what little I'm seeing from the video on the SL site, they look similar. Maybe someone with SL experience will know better.

I used SL for several years and many cores. This is is why I am questioning the MFW guides. If they are similar to SL where they just give you a schedule when to read the books and a few activity/project ideas then I am not interested in MFW. I need more then a box a books and a schedule. So what makes MFW so great? I hear so much praise for this curriculum and I do like the books, but I would want more then a schedule and books. Is there more?

No, My friend just acquired the MFW Adventures Manual that we are using next year and she let me look at it.

There is the lesson plan grid. Supplies lists, Recipes for certain cooking activities, Notes on the material, Notes on the background/history of things, etc. In the back is a HUGE list of books that would go with what you are studying every week. They give helpful planning info. and stuff.

We currently do Sonlight, our 3rd year, and Sonlight has more "Question's to ask your kid about what you read."

MFW seems SO much more Hands-on to me.... which is why we are doing it next year :)

I used SL for several years and many cores. This is is why I am questioning the MFW guides. If they are similar to SL where they just give you a schedule when to read the books and a few activity/project ideas then I am not interested in MFW. I need more then a box a books and a schedule. So what makes MFW so great? I hear so much praise for this curriculum and I do like the books, but I would want more then a schedule and books. Is there more?

I have used SL for one year (it was 100 when I used it). I think it's different than MFW, but can't tell exactly what you are asking.

Did you look at a sample like ECC here: http://www.mfwbooks.com/inc/pdf/eccsample.pdf

- If you scroll down to pages 7-8, you can see a weekly grid (page 8 is just for grades 7-8). Note that this is one grid for ALL subjects, while SL will have several grids and several subjects with no grid. Also note that it includes things like music, nature walk, a game, memory verse, and an art project.

- Then in the middle of page 8, there are the supplies for the week, for all subjects.

- Then from the end of page 8 through page 10, you will see notes for the week. Note that these are for all subjects, also. And there will be more notes towards the beginning of the year, less towards the end, since things will already have been explained. For instance, Monday tells you to read Window on the World, but earlier in the year you will have learned that this includes a prayer focus that you will be using all week.

- If you go back to the grid, you will see places where it says "(see notes)" -- those are the only times you need to look back in the notes.

- Also back on the grid, whenever you see "**" it will mean there is a worksheet or something in the student pages (a map, a coloring page, etc.). Sonlight gave me maps, but I could never figure out what to do with them, even when I asked on their forums.

- For the "blank squares" on the grid, MFW has recommendations for all grades, but you might be ahead/behind/use something else. If you use MFW's recommendations, they will tell you what lessons to do for each grade, how many lessons to do a week, etc.

- For the "book basket" square, there is a large appendix in the back for books relating to topics being studied (which Gao Meixue mentioned). You can also use other books. The idea is to allow some extra learning according to your child's own interests.

- For the "reading" square, there is the above list of books plus a list of classic books in the back. Your child should read every day, but each child will have different abilities and interests in this area. My ds went through different stages (funny books one year, mysteries another, joined a book club later) and we were glad these weren't forced reading. Any books necessary for learning are assigned, but not the unnecessary ones (for example, SL 100 assigned my dd to read books like Dear Mr. Henshaw, which weren't necessary and weren't her cup of tea at the time). MFW doesn't have the comprehension questions on specific details of books, but uses more a Charlotte Mason style of narrating and discussing and just reading. They do use those types of questions in 7th-8th grades by suggesting 2 Progeny Press guides, which was enough for my ds.

Does that help you "see" more in the sample?

Julie

Thanks Julie, this was very helpful. All the information given by others was very helpful also, thank you all.

I have been on the fence about MFW. I have tried SL and WP, both had great books but I did not like the teacher info and usually just set the IG aside. I would hate to spend the money for MFW and wind up doing the same thing. I did notice the samples given are better then they were, they updated their site and this also is helpful.

Thanks all.