Menu

Questions about toddlers and sensory boxes...

LOL I know how that goes! I found that sitting the box in the middle of a huge blanket makes clean up easier. Long vacuum hoses work wonders at sucking beans from vents. They don't however suck up forks or pencils or pens. :tongue_smilie: Rice and beans mixed together give a whole new experience. Kiddie pools can help, but unless the sides are taller than the child, I can guarantee that my kids would create sometime similar to a waterfall at the sides.

:lol::lol::lol:

I have some experience with this as well, only our vent was belived to be a DRAIN! Two children who shall remain nameless , had a tea party complete with cream and sugar. When they were finished they poured the whole lot down the "drain". Sometime later, days?, weeks?, I began to smell the most horrific smell. :ack2: It was verrry hard to get rid of, and involved lots of baking soda and the shop vac, and many rantings and ravings on my part that that thing was NOT a drain.:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I have some experience with this as well, only our vent was belived to be a DRAIN! Two children who shall remain nameless , had a tea party complete with cream and sugar. When they were finished they poured the whole lot down the "drain". Sometime later, days?, weeks?, I began to smell the most horrific smell. :ack2: It was verrry hard to get rid of, and involved lots of baking soda and the shop vac, and many rantings and ravings on my part that that thing was NOT a drain.:lol::lol:

:ohmy:!!!

He seems to be enjoying himself, I'm just worried I'll miss some when cleaning up and the 16-month-old will find them after nap time.

Next time I'm just going to use cat food. I already have a cleanup crew to help with that.

I used a king size sheet under the box, with something heavy on each corner to keep it from moving around. Chairs worked great as we used the area in our kitchen by the bar stools.

One time we did a bird seed box and then just swept it all outside when they were done. It took a few months before it dwindled to the point of needing reloaded and then we switched back to peas, rice, or beans. We used to change it up or even mix them together depending on what was cheapest at the time.

I think the favorite of dd4 was the peas.

The one time my husband gave the kids beans to play with, I later looked in my younger son's room and discovered he had pulled all of his clothes out of his dresser drawers and filled the drawers with beans. After that, we only did rice on the kitchen floor on top of a big vinyl tablecloth.

You give your kids beans and rice to play with on purpose? :svengo:

Here playing with that stuff is a reward for figuring out how to defeat Daddy's Childproofing Efforts. Ds hasn't figured out how to get the wing nuts off and dd can't be bothered doing it because it's easier to open the bottles from the pantry and some of them are immediately edible. I've caught her eating from a cup of sweet chilli sauce before and last night I caught her with a tumbler of nutritional yeast...

Rosie

Okay, explain this concept to me...I am scared just thinking about it. I think my dd 22 months would pick up handfuls of beans and sling them across the room, going over/out of any barrier. I give her a box of buttons and different-sized bottles and such to put them into, as well as other small objects, which occupies her for awhile until she decides to sling handfuls (always while I am involved with something else and don't notice until the damage is done...) but really, tell me about sensory boxes because they sound intriguing. The worst time was when she slung handfuls of her sister's Moon Sand around the room...:lol:

LOL Yes it is definitely a supervised activity until they are old enough to not sling (too much).