Menu

My sister had a heart attack yesterday.

It is very unnerving and I am very sad that this has happened. She is 13 yrs older than I and lives on her own with her two dogs. Her children are adults. Anyway it was so severe she was taken by ambulance. Fortunately she was taken right away to a major hospital know for its cardiac unit. She's had a stent put in to open the artery that was 100% blocked.

It does make you reflect on your own mortality.

On boxing day my brother's wife died suddenly of an embolism to the lung. A month later my niece, from that same family, miscarried her baby and now my sister. . . .

On top of that we live 1500 km's away and since we just made the trip to my sister-in-law's funeral a month ago I'm not sure when I'll be able to go visit my sister. She'll be in the hospital this week anyway.

The irony of it all is I have an 83 year old mother who is packing her bags to go on a six week vacation out of the country!! I keep expecting to get a phone call about her but she's going strong.

I'm so sorry! If it makes you feel any better about your sister, my father had a heart attack in his 50s and had to have a 5 way bypass. 12 years later he is healthy as can be. He jogs and bikes 6 days a week and is going strong. I hope your sister has an excellent recovery and your family has a long streak of uneventful times coming up. Take care.

I'm so sorry! If it makes you feel any better about your sister, my father had a heart attack in his 50s and had to have a 5 way bypass. 12 years later he is healthy as can be. He jogs and bikes 6 days a week and is going strong. I hope your sister has an excellent recovery and your family has a long streak of uneventful times coming up. Take care.

Thank you that is an awesome report. Very encouraging.

Thanks everyone.

I managed to talk to my sister on the telephone this morning. She sounded pretty good. I even made her laugh when I confessed that I mistakenly texted her phone yesterday to tell her she had a heart attack (I was trying reach my other sister :)). She laughed.

We have also decided that my 14 yr dd (almost 15) will fly to stay with her next week for a week or two just so she's not alone. My dd is very capable (much more inclined to nursing than her mother is :)) and very willing. She can't drive but she can help my sister around the house . . . and she can phone. And take care of my sister's big dogs. Mostly she'll be awesome company and since she homeschools she can do this. Right now my sister's son is there until my dd will be able to get there. And, thankfully, we have exactly enough airmiles to buy a plane ticket.

I'm a bit nervous about this but I think its the right thing.

I can't believe how scary that event was for my sister who said the heart attack hurt more than giving birth!