Menu

TOG Year 4 users help me w/ a core selection, please

Hi. I'm sitting here with my DE and have decided on Western Civ. by Spielvogel for one son, but would like a non-textbook for my other son. I call him Bard and Book Devourer or Mr. Humanities, so I'd like to keep him interested.

The new DE recs. many of the America in the 19__ series. Any opinions on the series?

What other books did you find essential for the History portion of TOG 4? Out of print books are fine by me, so feel free to suggest them. Thank you.

Well, my boys like the 19-- series. My oldest one just asked me if there was a 1990 one. They are easy to read and have some interesting information and pictures. My boys loved the Stalin and Hitler books and thought they were really good. The only book they have hated was the Ghandi book. They thought it was horribly boring and confessed to just looking up the answers to their discussion questions in the World Book. Neither of them finished it. Our library carries the 19-- series, so you might check into that option. It is expensive to buy them all. If you don't already have the American Presidency book, then I would get that. They are finding the Mao book interesting. We are in week 22, so that is as far as we've gotten.

Christine

We really enjoy the America in the 19____ series, but it is expensive. I also don't see a lot more content than in the Dialectic level 20th Century Idiot's Guide. If you can find the series at the library that would be great, but if I had it to do over again, I don't know that I would spend the $. I would definitely get the Stalin and Hitler books by Marrin.

My son joins choirfarm's family in his dislike of the Ghandi book. I would at least read the Dialectic book though.

My ds is also disliking the Mao book, but I think it is essential to understand what was going on in China then and now.

Christine and I are in the same week, so I can't help you beyond this point.

Hey! Christine!....Do you want to come to our unit celebration? We're having a "Sock Hop". ;)

I forgot one...

The Young Person's Guide to Israel (week 19) was very enlightening. It's written from the Jewish perspective, but the discussion outline addresses this and brings in the Arab perspective.

Oh, yes. I actually read this one myself. Very interesting. Yep. As I said, if your library has the 19-- series, I would definitely use them. I went ahead and bought them. I have one behind them, however.

Christine

We used all the primary books. In addition our spine was Modern Times by Paul Johnson. My ds17, also a humanities leaning fellow, loved the Albert Marrin books on Hitler and Stalin as well as The Good Fight by Ambrose, he's a favorite for my son. He had already read Band of Brothers and he added a couple more in, Citizen Soldiers and The Cold War: A Military History. I think he liked Witness to Power too. We also used Teaching Company lectures, Europe and Western Civilization in the Modern Age By Professor Thomas Childers (love Childers!) and European Thought and Culture in the 20th Century By Professor Lloyd Kramer. I also added in some extra Churchill and Reagan: Churchill by Paul Johnson and When Character was King by Peggy Noonan.

Politically speaking we are Conservative so YMMV as far as appreciating Johnson and Noonan.