Menu

s/o Rough Collie's heart attack: stents

My grandfather has to date 28 stents in place or rather the surgery to place 28 of them.

His doctor has stated many times now that he would not be able to do more surgery but yet they keep getting more in there. His next surgery will have to be a non heart stopping surgery though as the increase of dementia from the heart surgeries has been difficult for him to deal with. ( He just had 3 more placed 2 weeks ago actually.)

He had his first heart attack when i was 12, I am now 32.

What has your experience with stents been, either in yourself, or in your loved ones?

What do you need to know? My DH works in a cardiac lab.

I know there are stents that cause $5000 each and that some actually have medication in them.

I know that once they are in, you need to be compliant with doc's orders...take your meds, stop smoking, etc.

I know there is a thing they call a full metal jacket. That means they put a whole bunch of stents in at once.

I've seen pictures of the heart before and after the procedure. It is AMAZING how they can open the vessels up.

Any specific ???s you want me to ask DH?

My grandfather has to date 28 stents in place or rather the surgery to place 28 of them.

His doctor has stated many times now that he would not be able to do more surgery but yet they keep getting more in there. His next surgery will have to be a non heart stopping surgery though as the increase of dementia from the heart surgeries has been difficult for him to deal with. ( He just had 3 more placed 2 weeks ago actually.)

He had his first heart attack when i was 12, I am now 32.

My. Goodness. God bless him!

What do you need to know?

I hope I don't need to know anything, lol. But I saw this and felt a little concerned: http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11779&sid=a0f56fbac8c21dc8b18f9680eade8c07&start=0

Even though I read a bit on health issues on occasion, it's not really until I know someone going through something that I really start looking into it. With the moms posting about breast cancer recently, and now RC's heart attack, I'm reading more and just wondering about the range of experience out there.

Thanks for the info!