Menu

x-post- How hard do you think it would be to add in MOH to MFW?

I had (still have, I see) MOH #1 and got it out when we did CTG, and again got it out when we did AHL. Didn't use it. Not sure if anyone else will answer, so I'm just chatting.

Here's why it sat unused at our house:

- MOH summarizes Bible stories for you, and dh did NOT like that, even in 4th grade, because he likes the "real thing." Now in 9th grade, reading the entire Bible, he really doesn't want a summary by someone else.

- The non-Bible chapters in MOH sometimes covered an interesting tidbit, but I needed Marie Hazell to smoothly dovetail it with our other history. On my own, I wasn't organized enough to decide what was already being covered and what wasn't (and where that fit in). MOH is a pretty long book to hunt through.

- I thought about the "activities" in MOH, but found most of them were of the quiz/workbook sort, or of the paper-craft sort. Neither of these are things my ds is responsive to. Maybe my dd would have enjoyed some of them. But there were already quite a few activities scheduled in MFW, from games to cooking to celebrating the Biblical feasts.

- The book that I hear folks want to sub out is Streams, and we love Streams. It makes ds feel the history is "real" and correlated with the Bible. It's not a lot, but we liked it in CTG. I also read Streams with my older dd during an earlier year and I knew I liked the info.

Sorry maybe not what you were looking for?

Julie

Perhaps it would help others who are more knowledgeable on MFW if you pinpoint what exactly you want to add to MFW. Is there something specific you have in mind that isn't already there?

Fwiw, I have Streams 1 and really like it. It interjects Biblical history into secular history in an objective textbook format. I read small parts of it (not entire chapters) aloud to my boys when they were doing SOTW1 in K & 2nd. I don't know how much they retained, but it helped put some things into context. I want to use it next year when we return to ancients, and am glad to hear it's used in MFW (I can't hold everything in my mind at once - I only remembered VP using it).

Just another thought: If you use MOH1 w/ ECC, wouldn't CtG be a repeat (generally) of MOH1?

Julie- I have seen that many people do not like Streams and I am very glad to hear that you did. Can you tell me what that book is like? Assuming it does not work for our kids (I am really hoping it does) I would want a quick back up plan to order, what would you recommend? SOTW1? MOH1? Something else?

Like ArcticMom, you will only be reading small sections of Streams. Maybe you have read about how Noah's sons Shem, Ham, and Japeth spread out over the earth in the Bible, and Streams will have a map of where folks think each family group ended up. Things like that. I wouldn't be a good person to tell you what to sub, because I liked Streams. I do think there are folks who sub, and maybe someone will chime in?

Perhaps it would help others who are more knowledgeable on MFW if you pinpoint what exactly you want to add to MFW. Is there something specific you have in mind that isn't already there?

Fwiw, I have Streams 1 and really like it. It interjects Biblical history into secular history in an objective textbook format. I read small parts of it (not entire chapters) aloud to my boys when they were doing SOTW1 in K & 2nd. I don't know how much they retained, but it helped put some things into context. I want to use it next year when we return to ancients, and am glad to hear it's used in MFW (I can't hold everything in my mind at once - I only remembered VP using it).

Just another thought: If you use MOH1 w/ ECC, wouldn't CtG be a repeat (generally) of MOH1?

No I am wondering about adding MOH1 in with CtG. I am not looking specifically at anything but I own all 3 MOH books and absolutely love them so that is why I am wondering if I could somehow add that in. I wouldnt supplement any MOH with ECC.

Agreeing with Julie and Arcticmom. What MOH includes is redundant (already covered in MFW with various resources), and it's also just one person's "summary" of history and Bible stories. MFW is very complete, whether or not you add anything from Book Basket, but Book Basket adds even more if you want it.

We were working in MOH 1 when I found MFW, and while I *liked* MOH, we went with a different year in MFW for a variety of reasons (all specific to our circumstances, not the curriculum). Even if we'd finished that year of MOH, though, I would've had to go with something else for year 2 because MOH 2 wasn't done yet.

Anyway, I hung onto MOH 1 for a very long time because I kept thinking I'd *want* to include it with CTG when we came back 'round to Ancients. But by the time we got there, I realized we didn't need or want MOH anymore. MFW is very rich, and is certainly complete so there's no need to add in anything else. (I did try combining CTG with another complete, lit-based curriculum, and that was a disaster!)

My oldest dd did read MOH 3 on her own a couple years ago (just the reader... not the activities). She enjoyed it, but she much prefers MFW. Her observation with both MOH and BJU (which she also tried last year) is that textbooks are just too "summary oriented" and leave too many gaps.

I also agree with Julie about Streams. I love Streams! MFW doesn't assign the whole book or every page... it's used as a resource to fill in more detail, provide an occasional map, and that sort of thing. If you find that Streams is too detailed or dull or whatever, you can just skip it and maybe pull from Book Basket instead. OR add MOH as a reader to your Book Basket time or something like that. But it would be hard to say what to "replace" Streams with and have it all line up, because a) you're just reinventing the wheel at that point, and b) all those different history programs out there overlap in one way or another, or schedule things in a different order, and MOH is no exception.

My best suggestion, then, would be for you to simply add MOH as a Book Basket type reader and not bother trying to line it up with the lessons in MFW.

If Streams doesn't work you could try H.A. Gueber's 'Story or the Ancient World' put out by Nothing New Press (Christine Miller). I think MoH would be a little redundant and might be overload for the children. CtG and the other years are really full curriculum. I really think it might be a bit much to add too much more. If you REALLY want to add it, I agree w/Donna on using it as a book basket type reader.

OK we wont try to add it. I do like the suggestion of putting it in the book basket though so I can atleast do that. I really love MoH but it sounds like I will really love MFW more :001_smile:

OhElizabeth- I have not looked into Bibloplan, is it similar to MFW- I really like MFW, (based on what i see, reviews I read, etc) I think Im just going to suck it up and let go of my MoH :crying:

OK we wont try to add it. I do like the suggestion of putting it in the book basket though so I can atleast do that. I really love MoH but it sounds like I will really love MFW more :001_smile:

OhElizabeth- I have not looked into Bibloplan, is it similar to MFW- I really like MFW, (based on what i see, reviews I read, etc) I think Im just going to suck it up and let go of my MoH :crying:

((HUGS)) Hang onto it... if you respond to MFW the same way I did, you won't miss MOH as much as you think you will. ;) Remember, I hung onto my MOH for a long time, and finally realized I was never going to go back to it. But there's no reason you can't keep it in your Book Basket if you want. :)

I sold my MOH after having it sit on the shelf for many years. I just started CtG and sometimes wish I had MOH back to put in my book basket. But, honestly, I don't think it would get used. Our library doesn't have many of the books listed for book basket so I just search for books on the topics we are studying. Those books are more visually appealing to kids, so they would always get selected over MOH. Plus, MOH really is not needed.

As for Streams, my kids are young and I would not even read it aloud to my 5th grader. I am enjoying it as a resource though. I simply read it before school (5 minutes or so on the days it is assigned, which is not everyday) and jot down the points that I want to discuss with my kids. I am thoroughly enjoying MFW!