Menu

What exactly is "going Zen"?

I have seen quite a few posts on it and besides teh relgionous side of it waht does it mean?

I have seen the blog (Peela posted the link in another thread I think) but have no idea what it means. Too much reading for me to go through :001_smile:.

So what exactly is Zen and how do you do it? :confused::D:001_huh:

Elements of Zen interior design:

• Clean lines: nothing that's visually busy
  • Open, clear spaces (zero clutter)
  • Natural, beautiful but unfussy materials
  • Quality but simple furnishings: nothing ‘bling’, no high-maintenance stuff, nothing that grabs attention or tries to impress
  • Low-impact colors taken from nature, a minimum of (subtle) pattern
  • Quality rather than quantity
  • A calm overall look (you get enough stimulation when you step outside the front door!)

It's a focus on simplicity. When talking about making your home more "zen" it means eliminating all visual clutter, including all the knickknacks, decorations, throw pillows etc. These rooms typically don't have bookshelves and very little hanging on the walls. Furniture will be simple with straight lines, and solid, soothing colors. Any extra things seem to be nature oriented- rocks and little plants (nothing too overboard). Obviously these are just general ideas, there aren't hard and fast rules. I think most of the women on here aren't actually "going zen" all the way but trying to do a radical decluttering. I'm finding it all very inspiring as I desperately need to do the same. :)

I have seen quite a few posts on it and besides teh relgionous side of it waht does it mean?

I have seen the blog (Peela posted the link in another thread I think) but have no idea what it means. Too much reading for me to go through :001_smile:.

It comes from the concept of Zen Buddhism which is the way Buddhism flourished when it went to Japan. Zen buddhists traditionally live quite simply and starkly, but there is also a deep appreciation of beauty. Think monasteries, koans, bare walls with a single ornament in the room, bonsai, sand gardens beautifully raked, everything immaculately clean and simple- a calm, aesthetic, uncluttered environment. Emptiness is a central concept in buddhism, and zen buddhism, so a sense of space, of spaciousness, is characteristic of zen. Hence the coining of the term for living more simply, with less clutter, giving a sense of peace and space.

Thank you so much for posting up this question. I have a sort of general idea of what "Zen" meant, but wondered as it applied to the home how it differed from Feng Shui.

For those of you in the know, are they the same thing or is there a nuance that makes them different?

Thanks. :)

Thank you so much for posting up this question. I have a sort of general idea of what "Zen" meant, but wondered as it applied to the home how it differed from Feng Shui.

For those of you in the know, are they the same thing or is there a nuance that makes them different?

Thanks. :)

Zen is actually a type of buddhism that encompasses all things that religions cover- including a certain flavour of aesthetics which in zen's case is fairly sparse, stark, simple, and often exquisitely beautiful. It might use techniques such as Japanese flower arranging or zen painting to help awaken people to the present- but it is far, far more than a set of aesthetic or lifestyle principles. Zen has different offshoots in other countries ( such as chan buddhism in China) but is Japanese and so has that Japanese flavour.

Feng Shui is Chinese- I found this definition-

An ancient Chinese system of designing buildings and space arrangement according to special rules about the flow of energy, aimed at achieving harmony with the environment; In Chinese mythology, a system of spiritual energies, both good and evil, present in the natural features of landscapes ...

Feng Shui is not a religion in itself but may be part of the culture's expression of their religion, so to speak. It is more ....architecture mixed with Taoism and understanding of energies such as flow, stagnancy etc.

For the purpose of "uncluttering" - both can be very useful. For me, the zen part is the letting go of stuff part- the stripping back to the essentials, including the emotional letting go of my attachment to stuff and the past. The feng shui part is the arrangements, the making sure there is a flow, that all parts of the house and yard are functioning well and serving their purpose.

Zen is actually a type of buddhism that encompasses all things that religions cover- including a certain flavour of aesthetics which in zen's case is fairly sparse, stark, simple, and often exquisitely beautiful. It might use techniques such as Japanese flower arranging or zen painting to help awaken people to the present- but it is far, far more than a set of aesthetic or lifestyle principles. Zen has different offshoots in other countries ( such as chan buddhism in China) but is Japanese and so has that Japanese flavour.

Feng Shui is Chinese- I found this definition-

An ancient Chinese system of designing buildings and space arrangement according to special rules about the flow of energy, aimed at achieving harmony with the environment; In Chinese mythology, a system of spiritual energies, both good and evil, present in the natural features of landscapes ...

Feng Shui is not a religion in itself but may be part of the culture's expression of their religion, so to speak. It is more ....architecture mixed with Taoism and understanding of energies such as flow, stagnancy etc.

For the purpose of "uncluttering" - both can be very useful. For me, the zen part is the letting go of stuff part- the stripping back to the essentials, including the emotional letting go of my attachment to stuff and the past. The feng shui part is the arrangements, the making sure there is a flow, that all parts of the house and yard are functioning well and serving their purpose.

Thank you so much for this, Peela. :) It really helps with understanding. :grouphug: