Menu

A Kindle to the Rescue

MaMa2005

As many of you know, DS is PG and working WAY above grade level. While he reads at an eighth grade level, his stamina for reading long books just isn't there. I haven't pushed him into a lot of independent reading and just kind of took a one day at a time approach.

Well, this weekend DH surprised me and bought me a new Kindle. I took my old one, loaded it with over 30 pre-1940s books, and gave it to DS. EUREKA - the light bulb finally went off for him. He has had his nose in the Kindle every free moment since Saturday. Since he cannot see the length of the books (most are around 100 pages), he is having a blast. My very mathy child loves to see the percent of the book he has read as it moves along the bottom of each page.

I am giving DS a :hurray: for finally getting over a very big hurdle!

As many of you know, DS is PG and working WAY above grade level. While he reads at an eighth grade level, his stamina for reading long books just isn't there. I haven't pushed him into a lot of independent reading and just kind of took a one day at a time approach.

Well, this weekend DH surprised me and bought me a new Kindle. I took my old one, loaded it with over 30 pre-1940s books, and gave it to DS. EUREKA - the light bulb finally went off for him. He has had his nose in the Kindle every free moment since Saturday. Since he cannot see the length of the books (most are around 100 pages), he is having a blast. My very mathy child loves to see the percent of the book he has read as it moves along the bottom of each page.

I am giving DS a :hurray: for finally getting over a very big hurdle!

Oh, please share.... which books did you load on it?

Oh, please share.... which books did you load on it?

There is series by Madeline Leslie about Minnie's Pets -

Minnie' Pet Monkey

Minnie's Pet Parrot

Minnie's Pet Lamb

Minnie's Pet Horse

Minnie's Pet Dog

Minnie's Pet Cat

Thornton W. Burgess has a number of books:

Uncle Billy Possum

The Adventures of Prickly Porky

The Adventures of Grandfather Frog

The Adventures of Jerry Muskrat

The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack

Sophie May, L. Leslie Brooke, and Richard Barnum all have a number that they have also written.

I spent .99 and used this book - Free Children's Books and Young Adult Books for Kindle: Linked List of Over 1,000 Free Classics For Boys, Girls and Teens (Free Kindle eBooks) [Kindle Edition] - to find the ones I loaded. Best .99 I've spent in a long time.

I spent .99 and used this book - Free Children's Books and Young Adult Books for Kindle: Linked List of Over 1,000 Free Classics For Boys, Girls and Teens (Free Kindle eBooks) [Kindle Edition] - to find the ones I loaded. Best .99 I've spent in a long time.

Now you've really tempted me....

:drool5:

Could I side load files on Kindle, since I don't have WiFi?

This is amazing. I just bought it and then downloaded half a dozen books I've been meaning to look for. It's already saved me half-an-hour of hunting around for the free versions. :D

Could I side load files on Kindle, since I don't have WiFi?

Yes. The easiest way for me to to that was to download a copy of Kindle for PC (for free--I did this before I even decided whether or not to buy a Kindle). Then:

• Find where the files are stored on your computer (it's in My Documents in the file "My Kindle Content").

• Plug in the Kindle and see it show up as an external hard drive.

• Copy and paste the Kindle files (.azw or .mobi) from the computer into the "Documents" folder on the Kindle

HTH!

ETA: You can load PDFs onto the Kindle the same way.

Edited by bonniebeth4

This is amazing. I just bought it and then downloaded half a dozen books I've been meaning to look for. It's already saved me half-an-hour of hunting around for the free versions. :D

Yes. The easiest way for me to to that was to download a copy of Kindle for PC (for free--I did this before I even decided whether or not to buy a Kindle). Then:

• Find where the files are stored on your computer (it's in My Documents in the file "My Kindle Content").

• Plug in the Kindle and see it show up as an external hard drive.

• Copy and paste the Kindle files (.azw or .mobi) from the computer into the "Documents" folder on the Kindle

HTH!

ETA: You can load PDFs onto the Kindle the same way.

Excellent! Thanks so much. :)

Hmm... maybe I should do that to trick MYSELF? :lol:

It just might trick you. I have a Nook, and it's so easy to forget I'm holding a book - it feels like reading from a calculator. :lol: Definitely a great way to lure the reading-resistant student (especially one who likes computers) into thinking of reading as less drudgery.

That's awesome!

It's a huge hurdle to get past and my ds sometimes still balks at longer books. I'll have to keep in mind the kindle (and nook) when trying to suggest longer books for him. Thanks!!

Your son sounds a lot like mine - albeit a bit further ahead by the looks. We lost a lot of ground last year when we kept him in K at the local school. He lost a bit of his love for learning. We've mostly gained it back this year since he gets to go at his own pace with k12 but it's interesting to see what your DS is doing for school. I'll have to check out some of the things you have listed that I hadn't seen before!

Guest benaysmom

I cannot smuggle my ipad away from my children!!! Even the 2 year old knows how to play it by herself!!!! I have an app for ibooks and great books (both free).

• 2 weeks later...

My 5 year old LOVES the kindle. She has taken mine to bed with her more than once. In her old room she had a night light that gave her enough room to read by, but we recently moved and her room is fairly dark. I just got one of the lighted covers from amazon and showed her how to use it. You should have seen the look of excitement on her face! You'd think she'd just gotten the best new toy ever. The font size option is great for us, since dd needs the font larger than I like it and larger than some printed books at her reading level. She's going to have to get her own eventually!