Menu

is it really bad to exercise at night?

I have done nothing but sit at the computer all day. I was going to get some exercise before supper, but didn't finish the other things I had to do. Now I'm full and can't exercise, but I know that I haven't had enough movement today to be able to get any sleep tonight.

I've always heard you shouldn't exercise before bed, but why should you not? Would it be bad if I did?

I researched this really well before starting my new fitness regimen, and the online consensus (and we all know everything online is accurate and trustworthy) is no, it doesn't matter. The point is to exercise consistently. Your body doesn't know what time it is.

I exercise around 9pm every night (and I mean EVERY night; I workout 7 days a week) and eat dinner around 10pm when I'm done. My new healthy life started in December, and I've already lost 20 pounds on this schedule.

:party:

I've been running and exercising on and off for several years, always in the late afternoon or early (ish) evening. It doesn't bother me or hinder me from losing weight. I *am* a night owl, though, so there are at least 3 hours between my work out and bedtime and I don't think it affects my sleep.

I exercise around 9pm every night (and I mean EVERY night; I workout 7 days a week) and eat dinner around 10pm when I'm done. My new healthy life started in December, and I've already lost 20 pounds on this schedule.

:party:

Woohoo! That is awesome!

My dh works out at 9:30 most every night. It seems to work fine for him and he doesn't have trouble falling asleep. He used to get up at 5:30 to work out before work and he spent most evenings falling asleep on the couch. I much prefer him going at night because he usually leaves about the time the kids are going to bed.

It's bad? Who says? I don't really follow the morning is the best time. whatever or whenever I can fit it in, I do it. I just can't exercise past 9 pm as my husband says it shakes the house. This is when I did jillian michael's dvds faithfully. I slacked off then, burnt out from all that jumping.

I mainly workout first thing in the morning, but I loooooooove doing the occasional night workout! I find I actually sleep *better* because my muscles are all nice and warm and I just feel more... cozy, I guess, curling up in bed with warm muscles and nicely worn out from the workout. Doesn't matter if it's Yoga or Jillian Michael's. (although Yoga does make me *more* relaxed because of the focus on breathing and stretching)

Any time you can workout is better than not working out at all. :)

I agree with everyone else. I personally can't work out at night though - I gives me so much energy, I just want to get moving. So, I workout just before lunch each day. Dh on the other hand does his exercise at night because it exhausts him - if he did it during the daytime he'd have to take a nap before he could do anything else.