Menu

Dr. Hive? My foot hurts.

I walk and jog on the treadmill daily. Until last Thursday, it was 2 miles a day, but then I started prednisone so I've doubled to 4 miles a day.

Several weeks ago, I noticed that the part of my foot where the top of my shoe hits when I bend my foot was hurting when I started walking, but then it went away as I kept moving. I've got fairly new shoes, so I thought it was related.

I noticed it was hurting worse, so I finally remembered to look at it several days ago. Turns out I have a pea sized squishy lump on top of the bone that attaches to my big toe. It's not directly over the joint, but just slightly up on the bone from my toe joint.

Anyway, today it has throbbed all day long for the first time. I did my 4 miles, and the pain did diminish this time but for the first time it didn't go away completely.

What does this sound like? Am I going to have to make a doctor's appointment? Please say no. Is there anything I can do at home?

Several weeks ago, I noticed that the part of my foot where the top of my shoe hits when I bend my foot was hurting when I started walking, but then it went away as I kept moving. I've got fairly new shoes, so I thought it was related.

I noticed it was hurting worse, so I finally remembered to look at it several days ago. Turns out I have a pea sized squishy lump on top of the bone that attaches to my big toe. It's not directly over the joint, but just slightly up on the bone from my toe joint.

I can't help with the lump on your toe, but "the part of your foot where the top of your shoe hits when you bend your foot" sounds like the tendonitis I got when I started running on the treadmill. I did end up going to the ortho doc, and he gave me a prescription for Naproxen and some stretching exercises to do. They were things like calf raises, and stretching the foot back and to each side using an exercise band.

Hope that helps!