Menu

A question about HOD Resurrection to Reformation

simka2

Sorry, I got distracted last night!!!

Using it next year as well. Have you tried asking on the HOD board? I'm sure you would get an answer to your question there. :D

Yes, the question was asked over there but not really answered :D

I'm currently using RTR - ask away...

I'm using RTR this year with a 5th and 6th grader. I'd be happy to answer any questions.:)

I was looking at the table of contents, and was happy with the areas it covered. I really want my kids to get a complete history of the time and not just a western civ exposure. (that was an akward sentence but I wasn't sure how to get it out!)

Question 1: How does it go about talking about the Eastern civ topics? What is the "tone?" Is it neutral on their belife systems, or is it somewhat disdainful (lack of a better word) of the eastern cultures?

I know it's a christian curriculum, but I am hoping that it not to judgemental or prejuidced.

Question 2: What about the "great schism" and "the reformation." Is it negative against the Catholic Church (eastern christians) or is it kept pretty non-prejoritive?

Basically, is it a "true" history, or is it a protestant (post-reformation) reflection/interpretation of history...does that make sense?

I am not an expert in the field but when covering the Eastern Civ. topics, such as the muslim faith (I'm guessing this is what you might mean), it does spend a little time in the book explaining where the faith came from and how it progressed - there is nothing negative about it that I took from the readings. In reality, I remember reading things similar in style in the SOTW books - just the facts, no opinion. There are also, thus far, nothing said in a negative way about Catholicism. The history readings are more in story format - a key figure, say Pope Gregory I (I think he was a first) and there will be a story to read about an event that perhaps led to him become the Pope - it brings the people of that time, his assistants, the cities, other key people, etc. together - sort of like an historical fiction book would except the stories are factual - not a mix of this and that. We are currently working through the Monks and Mystics book (we have had a few setbacks over the school year so not as far along as I'd hoped) and soon we'll be going into the MOH reader which I'm looking forward to reading through next.

I do find that with RTR it flows nicely - without bias - and leaves plenty of room to have discussions about the people who gave their lives for their faith, the freedoms we have when it comes to our religions, and an understanding of how other religions formed - we can compare and contrast on our own - good discussions without someone else's point of view thrown in.

I am not an expert in the field but when covering the Eastern Civ. topics, such as the muslim faith (I'm guessing this is what you might mean), it does spend a little time in the book explaining where the faith came from and how it progressed - there is nothing negative about it that I took from the readings. In reality, I remember reading things similar in style in the SOTW books - just the facts, no opinion. There are also, thus far, nothing said in a negative way about Catholicism. The history readings are more in story format - a key figure, say Pope Gregory I (I think he was a first) and there will be a story to read about an event that perhaps led to him become the Pope - it brings the people of that time, his assistants, the cities, other key people, etc. together - sort of like an historical fiction book would except the stories are factual - not a mix of this and that. We are currently working through the Monks and Mystics book (we have had a few setbacks over the school year so not as far along as I'd hoped) and soon we'll be going into the MOH reader which I'm looking forward to reading through next.

I do find that with RTR it flows nicely - without bias - and leaves plenty of room to have discussions about the people who gave their lives for their faith, the freedoms we have when it comes to our religions, and an understanding of how other religions formed - we can compare and contrast on our own - good discussions without someone else's point of view thrown in.

Thanks! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I have been looking for a curriculum that I wouldn't have to tweak too much for this era. I don't mind some, but I get really annoyed when present theological views are inficted upon history.

It's kinda like eating a brownie with nuts...when you hate nuts :D. I am happy with SOTW, and was hoping that the history part of HOD RTR would be similar.

Agreeing pretty much with what 1shortmomto4 said. I haven't noticed any bias, but I am not reading all the material either. I skimmed over all the books before handing them off to my kids, but have not read them cover to cover. I did see a note to Catholic parents in the TM that they may want to skip one of the read aloud books.

For what its worth, my boys have really enjoyed RTR.:001_smile: HTH!

Agreeing pretty much with what 1shortmomto4 said. I haven't noticed any bias, but I am not reading all the material either. I skimmed over all the books before handing them off to my kids, but have not read them cover to cover. I did see a note to Catholic parents in the TM that they may want to skip one of the read aloud books.

For what its worth, my boys have really enjoyed RTR.:001_smile: HTH!

Thanks! Do you know what book that was?