Menu

Handwriting without tears

In2why

I looked at their website and they list tons of items to be used in their handwriting program. We have already practiced writing in sand, shaving cream, with chalk, and with "Get ready for the Code". I am looking for the basics.

What do you think is needed for a kindergarten writing? I know they have the numbers and letters book, and I will get that, but is anything else needed versus wanted? Or is something just so good you wouldn't think of studying their program without it?

Thanks in advance

I'm far from expert, but we're on our second round now, so I can say that it was perfectly effective with simply the workbook.

We did get the teacher's manual for pre-k and K (they're practically identical) and didn't re-order the teacher's book for 1st-2nd. One benefit of having the teacher's manual is that there's a template for the wood block shapes. I used the template to made paper shapes out of cardstock. We also made our own MatMan (and Mat Ma'am!). The kids had fun with this, but it didn't seem to make a significant difference.

It's a great program and, with a reluctant writer who is also a leftie, I'm so glad we used it from the start.

I used/purchased the stamp and see screen, the letter cards that you put the wooden letter pieces on, the wooden letter pieces, the blue mat with the smiley face in the corner, and the slate chalkboard (but you could easily replicate the blue mat at home with a smiley face sticker from the local dollar store on any foam-y like material, and a mom I know used the cardboard sheets she'd get with her husband's dress shirts from dry cleaning to trace the wooden letter piece outlines on and wrote a smiley face at the top corner and it worked great!)

I used only those components, as well the workbook obviously, and my DD has done great with it! I felt everything else was more for a classroom environment, as some preschools/school systems use the program as well. Many of the add-ons can be replicated for cheap at home, but if you'd like the real thing I was able to find HWT materials at every used curric. sale I went to over the summer, at conference, and on the sale boards here. The chalkboard with the double-lines was good for DD when writing lower case letters and words was introduced, now in the first grade printing book all we've used is the workbook and been great. I do think, depending on the age of your kid, that they may need some more practice printing before moving onto the 2nd grade book as I know my dd would struggle a bit with the smaller lines.

You can always print off extra copywork pages from the website if your kid finishes a workbook but you think they need more practice before moving forward. I plan on doing that for a few months when dd finishes the printing book this week.

We purchased EVERYTHING available on their website. My daughter learned so fast that the only thing we used for more than a few days was the Student workbooks. If the child is struggling, I suppose a few of those manipulatives could come in handy, but you can replicate your own at home. Cardstock for the letter shapes. Shaving cream/cookie tray to form the letters...

We're starting Grade 4 Cursive this month, and out of all the years, maybe getting one Teacher's Guide was okay. They all say the same thing, so if you get one for printing, you'll be fine. But to be honest, they're not really needed unless you want that extra hand-holding.

So now I only suggest getting the workbooks. We do like their paper, so I do buy a ream once a year. I just got Narrow Double Line paper today in fact.