Menu

What do you expect your first grader to know by the end of the year?

hsmom

For me personally, I will just advance or hold back my children as needed......cater to their specific strengths and work diligently on their weaknesses. I read your other post asking about holding a child back, and I will definitely not be telling my children that they failed a particular grade and they had to do it over again. A grade is just a label, and since we are fortunate enough to live in a state where I don't have to report to anyone I will feel more freedom to call my child by their grade they should be in to everyone else, but that doesn't mean they will be working in all 2nd grade level work, for example. I hope I am making sense here. We will just finish books as we finish them and move up (or stay put) as needed.

As for what the average 1st grader should know, you might look at the worldbook website for that info.

My oldest was ahead in math, behind in LA at the end of 1st grade. It makes planning for him exciting. LOL

To actually answer; I'd expect a 1st grader to read simple books to me with help as needed, spell simple words, copy a sentence, tell back a story, basic + and - up through 20.

Edited by 3blessingmom

What are a few main things you expect them to know or be doing by the time they finish first grade?

At the beginning of the year I list certain skills based on many sources, that I think are important. For first grade I used;

Saxon 1

Ordinary Parent's guide to Reading

First Language Lessons

WWE 1

As well as some science, history and art resources. I also put together a list of read alouds based on Sonlight, AO, and other places. We worked our way through the materials and in some subjects he excelled (math) and for reading I moved at his own pace which might be considered slower than others. At the end of the year I had hoped that his reading was stronger, but I wouldn't do a whole year again based on one problem area. Instead I looked for curricula that would reinforce phonics and reading skills and put more focus on it this year. It is working beautifully and one of the reasons I love homeschooling is that it isn't grade specific. If asked what grade he is in I would respond....in what subject? He is now on level in reading, his math is probably comparable to a 3/4th grader in our public school. Science in on grade level and History we are studying in depth US history which isn't grade leveled.

To answer your question though the only thing I really needed to make happen by the end of first grade was a routine. We needed to know that homeschooling was something that I could do, that we could stick to a schedule, that my child's behavior was such that he could learn from me, that we could find the resources we needed, and that we could afford to and wanted to make homeschooling central in our lives. If we couldn't do those things then I would have known that it wasn't right for our family.

The learning will come naturally after that.

To answer your question though the only thing I really needed to make happen by the end of first grade was a routine. We needed to know that homeschooling was something that I could do, that we could stick to a schedule, that my child's behavior was such that he could learn from me, that we could find the resources we needed, and that we could afford to and wanted to make homeschooling central in our lives. If we couldn't do those things then I would have known that it wasn't right for our family.

You know that is the perfect answer. Thank you.

Well, I have a dd in 1st. She will not actually completely finish her 1st grade reading curric by the end of the year. So we will continue her reading program in 2nd grade after a break for summer. That will be probably the last unit (unit 5) of R&S reading. I am ok with that. I would be ok with her never finishing it, but since we have it and it works there is no reason not to.

She is progressing well enough with phonics and reading. We just keep plugging away with it.

Her large and fine motor skills are fine, maybe even above avg.

We use R&S math. She will not know her addition facts to 20. They only go through 10 in grade 1. But she is getting them and the concepts fine. She can skip count and do money and clocks and all of that. She will finish this this year and move into grade 2 maybe before summer.

She can copy sentences, but not spell well yet. That will come. We still have a few months in 1st grade left too. She can recall a story and details well. She is beginning to write sentences on her own in cards to friends.

I expect her to get a little faster with her work, and to gradually increase her focus for longer periods of time. That is a work in progress.

We have not done a lot of memory work yet. She has some poems and Bible verses down and is up to the first 4 presidents. We will keep working on that.

She has drawing skills, and is learning to read music at her grade level. I want her to keep up the practice in both of these areas.

I don't know if I am offering any help by sharing her progress and skills. I don't have any "she has to do this" by the end of the year items. She seems to be making progress in everything at a good rate.

:iagree:

Edited by MyLittleBears

There is a huge range of normal progress for a first grader... but for my daughter, I expect her to be able to:

-write legibly

-write sentences with a capital letter and a period and attempts at good spelling

-read simple books

-add and subtract

Anything else is bonus in my mind.

I think some of the beauty of homeschooling is the freedom from the "you must complete this concept in this time frame" pressure that public school kids and teachers face.

Studies seem to show over and over again that kids vary incredibly (in public school) at the early grades and then it all averages out by third grade. I think, outside of learning disability type stuff, this is true. One of mine falls in the learning disability area so for him I need to address what I can now.

I just plug away from where my son is toward where I would like him to go at his pace. I've got two and one is much easier to teach than the other. The child who struggles more is comparatively behind. I wouldn't even think to say he's repeating a grade. He might repeat concepts though until they are solid! In some areas we've needed to address things via curriculum changes in areas and addressing learning disabilities in a targeted way. In other areas it's been maturity I think at this point.

We school year round. I don't think that's likely an option given your other kids but I thought I'd mention it. It helps me relax with my son whose progress is slower.