Menu

how do you progress into next level (AAS)

trying my best

I just keep moving unless we would totally bomb a step, I don't see having to do it over again for just a few mistakes. After all, the cards should be going into the review tab if they miss that word/sound/rule, and if they get it correct right away it would at most go to the mastered section which will get reviewed periodically, when the mastered reviews come up.

We focus on 1 step/week. We started with level 1 last year, which was review, so we did accelerate and got through Levels 1& 2. We spent the majority of the year on Level 2 and my child needed lots of practice w/ the words. The 1 step/week pace works for us b/c my child really needs lots of opportunities to use the words. We work on spelling every day for 15-20 minutes. I have him do something w/ the words each day-writing them, spelling w/ letter cards, out loud, filling in blanks something. Right now this will get us through a book/ year.

I haven't really gotten to a place where we're missing more than one thing (in one of the extra words usually), and even that is rare, so we've been doing a step per day. But... once things start getting more difficult, I figure we'll work for 15-20 minutes and then stop for the day. Just keep doing that until the step is finished. If we need more practice, spend more time doing the extra words and phrases/sentences?

But again, we haven't gotten there yet. This is a really good question! I'll be curious to see what Merry says. We just finished level 1 today and are going to do step 1 of level 2 for the rest of the week (since it's all review), then start the new material of level 2 week after next (we're taking next week off).

I imagine when we're actually doing review, the steps will take more than one day because we won't have time to finish the step within our 15-20 minute time slot? If it takes 10 minutes to review, that leaves less time for the new stuff, kwim? Whereas in level 1, we really had very little to review, so it just didn't take us long to go through it (I also sometimes skipped review and just did it a couple times a week, but that worked ok for us).

Anyway, :lurk5:

I decide at the beginning of a step whether I think it will be something that needs to broken down into more than one lesson. If he gets the concept right away we usually finish the step in one day. If not, then I stretch it out to two days. Other than that I just keep on going because there is so much built in review. The important thing is to keep any missed words and go over them at the beginning of each lesson, explaining the rule. I also point the rules out at other times like during oral reading to make sure he can carry it over.

I just keep moving unless we would totally bomb a step, I don't see having to do it over again for just a few mistakes. After all, the cards should be going into the review tab if they miss that word/sound/rule, and if they get it correct right away it would at most go to the mastered section which will get reviewed periodically, when the mastered reviews come up.

This is what we do, too.

Ditto. We went through the step and moved on to the next one. The only thing I did different from nukeswife is that I put the cards in the Review section even if they got them right while we were doing the step. I found that my dd could get the words right that day, right after she learned the concept, but the next day might be iffy.;)