Menu

Anybody know how to hook your computer to your TV?

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-connect-your-laptoppccomputer-to-your-tv/

Here are instructions with photos of the cable types. I personally use an HDMI cable from my computer to my TV as that is the easiest if you have that option.

Here's another guide where you choose what you have and it guides you to hook it up: http://hookpctotv.com/

The easiest way is to go to Best Buy, find someone in the computer area and ask. There are a few different cable options that you can use. Take your computer with you so they know what to recommend and once you have the cable it is as easy as plugging it in and changing the input on the tv.

The easiest way is to go to Best Buy, find someone in the computer area and ask. There are a few different cable options that you can use. Take your computer with you so they know what to recommend and once you have the cable it is as easy as plugging it in and changing the input on the tv.

They won't be able to tell you unless you know what kind of inputs your tv has. Our tv has hdmi, vga, s-video and rca inputs, but not all tvs have all of those. If you have an older tv and it only has rca inputs, then that will be an entirely different thing than if it has hdmi. In that case, you would do this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5883757_connect-laptop-rca-jacks.html

I'm assuming the laptop has and HDMI out, and the TV an HDMI in... if not, it might not be worth the trouble.

The easiest (and, IMO, best) way is to get a roku. You'll also need to get a router if you don't already have one.
The OP said "Internet TV." If Netflix isn't an immediate consideration, a Boxee (buy or make) might be a better bet. The Boxee Box will (eternally someday) have Netflix, but Netflix does currently works on home made Boxees.

They won't be able to tell you unless you know what kind of inputs your tv has. Our tv has hdmi, vga, s-video and rca inputs, but not all tvs have all of those. If you have an older tv and it only has rca inputs, then that will be an entirely different thing than if it has hdmi. In that case, you would do this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5883757_connect-laptop-rca-jacks.html

Good point. I was making the assumption it was a newer tv and you could just give them the model info (my dh is tech obsessed, I forget others aren't).

Yup, main living area tv has all of the above but the little tv in the family room only has the yellow video and white sound RCA connections.

HDMI, the outlet, if it's not labeled, looks sorta like a large USB port. You need an HDMI outlet on both your TV and your computer. If you have an outlet on both, then you just need an HDMI cable to connect them. If you don't have one, I just picked one up at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $28. They go up to almost $60 but the $28 one has done fine connecting my husband's computer to the TV.

VGA, the typical computer monitor connection, has the port with pins in it and two places that the cable can screw into (a vga cable has two thumb screws on either side of the plug, if you tv has this then you can just disconnect the VGA cable from the back of your monitor and connect it to the TV. Make sure the TV is set to "VGA" display output (there is probably a menu setting on screen or possibly a button somewhere on the tv). Newer TVs that advertise they can double as computer monitors typically have this connection; older tvs and ones that don't advertise they can double as monitors usually do not have a VGA port.

S-video connections aren't used a lot any more and don't support HD very well. If you just so happen to have an s-video cable lying around, you should have an s-video connection on the computer. HDMI is replacing s-video in most applications.

Almost all TVs nowadays have RCA connections, many times even multiple RCA connections. These are the color coded yellow video and red and white audio connections. Some computers have RCA connections but it's not a typically included feature. You can get special cables with RCA connectors to connect to the TV and a VGA or HDMI connector to connect to the computer.

Basically it's just a matter of matching your connections. Easiest connection would be if you have HDMI connections and a cable. Next easiest would be if your TV has a VGA port. If neither of these options are available, I would recommend connecting with a RCA to VGA or HDMI cable. I wouldn't recommend the s-video connection unless you just happen to have a s-video cable lying around and none of the other options are available. HTH

Editing to add: Forgot to mention, HDMI will route the video and sound through your TV. If you use the VGA cable, it only does video. The sound will still come through your computer (speakers or headphones) unless you also connect the red and white RCA cables to your TV and your computer. Even then sometimes the computer and TV don't like to "play nice together" and it takes some finagling to get them to communicate effectively. :lol: When we had the TV connected with the VGA cable, I just left the sound on the computer's speakers. It wasn't as good as the TV's sound but it worked without giving me a headache trying to get it to work. :lol:

Edited by prairie rose

If it is as easy as an HDMI cable, make sure to check out the ones on Amazon- they should be a fraction of the price of a Best Buy or the like. HDMI cables have huge mark-ups.

Here's the one we've been using for a few years:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-2M-6-Feet/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297200505&sr=8-1

There are others if you search "HDMI". You can check the reviews to make sure you aren't buying a dud.