Menu

Talk to me about RSO by Pandia Press

Irishmommy

I'm a big fan of RSO. We've only done RSO Life so far. I love them because they start off with a lesson to read aloud (or have child read). Then you do a few lab activities, and the lab sheets are included. They've been very fun for us.

I made my own updated list of books (and other resources) to go along with RSO Life. You can also check out my blog to see the fun stuff we've done.

I just received Earth Science and Astronomy. I love it! My DS is going to LOVE it.

They do have a try it before you buy free download (scroll all the way to the bottom for the science), so you can see the first units in the books. You can also see the materials list before you buy. I forget if the additional reading list in included in that file (not at all mandatory, but you could get any book about the same topic at the library if you wanted to delve more into it).

Check it out, it might answer your question(s).

I've been using it this year with my 2nd grade ds. While I think it is good for his age, I would not want to use the program with a child any older. I say that because I want a program that's complete (other than the supplies).

I don't mind to add a few library books, which I have, but I think 3rd and 4th grade science should be more involved than this program is. If I had to do it with an older child, I would feel that I need to add to the program.

I use RSO Chemistry with my 9 year old 4th grader, and I love it. It is very hands-on and I personally think it provides enough information at this age. I guess it all depends upon what you're looking for in a program. At 9, I want my kids to have exposure and enjoy science, as well as learn about the experimental method. We started the year with RS4K and I was not happy with that choice so we switched, and things are much better now..

RSO life has been fun for my 1st grader. I agree that I wouldn't want to use it for an older child. We have also supplemented with book quite a bit. A great list Angela! Labs are fun and well organized. Overall I would definitely recommend it and plan to use it next year also

We love RSO here. I've done both Life and Earth&Space over the past few years and we're using Chemistry right now. I just use the TM and student pages. I don't search out extra books, because my kids will do that on their own if a certain topic piques their interest.

I'm using Chem for an 11.5 year old 6th grader and a 9 year old 3rd grader. I am not one that is in it for something super rigorous, to me until high school Science should be lots of fun and fairly messy at times. If you want something super deep and heavy then RSO probably wouldn't work well unless you're willing to do heavy supplementing.

From their website:

"There will be mention of evolution in level two and three courses (when available) as it pertains to science. There is no mention of evolution in the level one books. "

I don't see anything regarding the other topics in my Level 1 books, but I could've missed it...

Edited by Satori

Those that thought it wasn't enough for a 3rd or 4th grader, were you doing Life, E&S, or Chem? I've noticed that most of these 4-year cycle type science programs usually write the Life and E&S programs to be right for 1st-2nd grades, and then Chem and Physics are usually better for 3rd-4th grades. Is that the case with RSO, or is even the Chem too light for a 3rd or 4th grader?

:lurk5:

the Life and E&S programs to be right for 1st-2nd grades, and then Chem and Physics are usually better for 3rd-4th grades. Is that the case with RSO, or is even the Chem too light for a 3rd or 4th grader?

I haven't actually seen the Chem, but from what I have read (and we did do both Life and Earth), I agree with this.

Life and Earth are only okay for very early elementary IMHO. I wouldn't use them for 3rd grade.

It does seem that Chem is quite a step up and would be fine for even 5th grade.

I'm using RSO Earth and Astronomy with my 2nd and 4th grader and can I just say WE LOVE IT!!!!!! I wish so much I would have discovered them earlier and I REALLY wish they would come out with a Physics one for us to use next year.

Here's what I love about the program:

*The text you read is laid short, but covers the material well.

*There are experiments or projects to do with every lesson. I made it a goal to do more hands on learning with my boys and this allows me to do that.

*The experiments really demonstrate what you just read about. Plus, a lot fo the ones we have done involve food! Today, for instance, we studied Igneous rock and how they are formed. We took choc. chips, marshmellows, sugar, evap. milk, etc. (various rocks and minerals), melted them together (forming magma under ground), and cooled it in the refrigerator (magma coming up to the surface, becoming lava and cooling above ground), we inspected it to see if we could find any "crystals", then we ate it!

*Home Science Tools sells a kit with many of the items you need for the experiments. I found this to be very helpful.

We add in other books and videos, but you really don't have to. My boys just really love science.

Hope this helps! :001_smile:

We love RSO too. I used it for afterschooling and for homeschooling.

I have loved our experience with it. I need a guide and a plan for science. RSO left plenty of room for interest-driven explorations as well as time to look at a portion of a topic in depth. You will need resources for reference. Keep this in mind. I used Prentice Hall, Science Explorer this year.

I am depressed that level 2 is not available - we will more than likely use Classiquest because it is so similar. I had really hoped to see Biology Level 2 from RSO spring into print this spring, but I fear it may not.

Enjoy. I found that many of the expirements for my 4th grader were easily done alone. I only participated when it involved using the stove (we baked the earth this year) or something similarily dangerous. Get a large 3-ring notebook. I would get a set of student pages and purchase the ebook. You will, no doubt, need additional experiment pages. We always have accidents here!