Menu

AoPS Intro Algebra

AoPS online classes splits it at chapter 13. In fact, chapter 13 is included in both Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.

On the other hand, AoPS also states that what they consider Algebra 1 is slightly less than what's in most schools. But their Algebra 2 is more than the standard algebra 1. And by the time you do Algebra 3 (which is another book) you're definitely past what's considered high school algebra (both 1 and 2). I just can't find the link to that statement... I'm sure I didn't dream it up.

AoPS online classes splits it at chapter 13. In fact, chapter 13 is included in both Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.

On the other hand, AoPS also states that what they consider Algebra 1 is slightly less than what's in most schools. But their Algebra 2 is more than the standard algebra 1. And by the time you do Algebra 3 (which is another book) you're definitely past what's considered high school algebra (both 1 and 2). I just can't find the link to that statement... I'm sure I didn't dream it up.

Thanks. That does seem a bit short - I was guessing the split was more like at chapter 18.

What is the pace of the online class? How quickly do they cover a chapter?

The AoPS online Algebra 1 class covers those 13 chapters of the Introduction to Algebra text in 16 weeks. Here's the syllabus for the course. My dd is TA'ing one of the alg 1 sections that starts later this month. She'd agree that you won't be shortchanged with this class - it's in-depth, the problems are challenging (to say the least), and the pace is fast. It's beautifully done and encourages a love of math in motivated students. The authors definitely promote understanding over memorization or pattern-matching.

If you don't care for that kind of speed, I'd recommend buying the textbook and the solution manual and having your student work through it at his or her own pace.

Here's a link to the statement that Cleo was referring to above.

The AoPS online Algebra 1 class covers those 13 chapters of the Introduction to Algebra text in 16 weeks. Here's the syllabus for the course. My dd is TA'ing one of the alg 1 sections that starts later this month. She'd agree that you won't be shortchanged with this class - it's in-depth, the problems are challenging (to say the least), and the pace is fast. It's beautifully done and encourages a love of math in motivated students. The authors definitely promote understanding over memorization or pattern-matching.

If you don't care for that kind of speed, I'd recommend buying the textbook and the solution manual and having your student work through it at his or her own pace.

Here's a link to the statement that Cleo was referring to above.

Thanks! The pacing info is very useful. I already own the text and solutions manual - I just didn't want to kill ourselves trying to get through the whole book in a year if that was unrealistic. It sounds that if I did a chapter every other week it would still be a much slower pace than the online course, and get us through about 18 chapters in the school year, and be more than enough for a solid Alg I credit.

... It sounds that if I did a chapter every other week it would still be a much slower pace than the online course, and get us through about 18 chapters in the school year, and be more than enough for a solid Alg I credit.

Why 18 chapters? Why not the whole book?

My son started this book in July (well, last week of June) and was done in January (last week of Jan.) He did Algebra 1 and 2 with the online classes (and yes, with Kathy's daughter as a TA) . So, seven months, including a Christmas break, and the whole book was done.

If you're trying to fit it in 36 weeks, I would count only one week each for chapters 1 and 2. In some cases, well prepared kids can do both in one week. It's really knowledge that should have been learned in a pre-algebra class, and should be mostly revision. I know I took one day to do both of these chapters. And I did all the exercices.

Also, chapter 21 is about sequences and series, and seems odd for an algebra class. I would feel comfortable skipping it, if the book has to fit in a 36 weeks school year.

Why 18 chapters? Why not the whole book?

My son started this book in July (well, last week of June) and was done in January (last week of Jan.) He did Algebra 1 and 2 with the online classes (and yes, with Kathy's daughter as a TA) . So, seven months, including a Christmas break, and the whole book was done.

Well, I'm sure we won't stop if she's speeding along, but this gives me a goal and no guilt if we don't finish the whole book in a year. She's doing Singapore DM1 now and she can handle the work, but it isn't speedy. Some of the problems in that are hard! I've got Lial's Pre-Alg and Introductory Algebra here and there is no comparision in either book to DM in the difficulty level of the problem sets. The Lial's looks so easy by comparison (Lial's what her twin sister is/will be using). But I'm hoping the DM will have prepared her well for AoPS. You're right that a lot of the beginning stuff will be review, but I'm thinking that's a good thing. :)

I don't see what is gained by speeding through the book. My very mathy DD would probably have hated the online class because of the pace.

It took her a total of 240 hours to complete the book, which is fine with me. Honestly, what's the point in rushing?

Btw, I do not believe that most prealgebra classes prepare the students well for the challenging problems in chapter 2. My kids did Saxon 8/7 for prealgebra, and the fractional exponent problems were definitely new to them, at least at that level of difficulty. So we have actually taken our time to thoroughly go through chapter 2. DD worked for 25 hours on the first two chapters. IMO that was time very well spent.

The next few chapters were substantially easier.