Menu

Is it possible to teach yourself latin?

Sure! When we decided to homeschool neo-classically, I had never studied Latin formally. So, I studied it for two years before introducing it to the kids. The funny thing is, I was pretty good at the time. But, ds is a real pro with foreign languages and after he got through Prima Latina, Latina Christian 1 & 2, and into Henle, he showed me up quickly! I now assign him to tutor his other brothers and to correct me. But, if I studied again, I'd be fine.

Given that about 50% of our language is based on Latin roots, I found it fairly easy to pick up. But, I'd also minored in French in college (a language that I wasn't able to use upon graduation so have lost most of what I knew) and it is of course a Romance language. So, that may have made it easier for me.

As for dd, she really balked at studying Latin for two years in high school but I stuck to my guns because she was going to major in something medically related. She says that though she has forgotten enough she could never "converse" in Latin, she is ever so thankful that I made her do it. She finds it sooooo much easier than her peers to remember medical terminology, drugs, anatomy, etc. since so much of it is Latin based. My REALLY science oriented son is also finding that Latin makes remembering scientific terms, biology, physics, etc. much easier.

Faith

I am learning Latin along with my children. I am going through Wheelock's with my oldest and Latin for Children Primer A with my 10 year old (they complement each other nicely). On the Wheelock's website their are free pronuciation downloads, so you can hear someone speaking the language. I think it is very doable on your own :D.

We're using Henle Latin. I do have a friend that can help me when I need it. I use the Loyola University Press answer key and it has MANY mistakes. When I feel certain there is a mistake, I run it by her just to make sure I'm right.

I really think it's fun. It is difficult, but like any good puzzle, it's rewarding.

A new study group just started this week for Wheelock's Latin: http://www.quasillum.com/study/latinstudy.php

I've found using the Wheelock workbook with the text has helped a lot.

A lot of people have recommended Lingua Latina, but as I can't afford it right now, I'm using something similar I got from the library and it has helped tremendously. http://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Familia-Romana-Latin/dp/1585102385

We're using Henle Latin. I do have a friend that can help me when I need it. I use the Loyola University Press answer key and it has MANY mistakes. When I feel certain there is a mistake, I run it by her just to make sure I'm right.

I really think it's fun. It is difficult, but like any good puzzle, it's rewarding.

You might like the answer key by Seton, which is more complete. It's five bucks.

http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=S-L1HS-12

If you need to study a structured grammatical program, then I'd suggest Wheelock's. I used Henle with my son. It is very good at teaching the grammar using an intentionally limited vocabulary, but we eventually bogged down reading and translating endless passages of Caesar subduing the Gauls who were killing the Romans who were requisitioning grain... For building fluency we added Lingua Latina. Wheelock's uses a larger vocabulary and the content, IMO, is more interesting especially for adults.

I love Wheelock's. I was working through it last summer, but have been sidetracked since school started in the fall, (because I am teaching school this year and have NO time for studying). So I am teaching Latin and can no longer learn it - how crazy is that? But I don't know how easy it is because I have a foreign language background, so I am comfortable studying Latin on my own. I guess it just depends on the person. I like Henle also; I just especially enjoyed some of the quotes that Wheelock's includes.

See if your library has Wheelock's so you can take a good look, but it doesn't hurt to start with a program meant for kids, like Memoria Press' First Form! Latin grammar is sometimes challenging, but I find memorizing the paradigms to be the most challenging (while also homeschooling kids, keeping house, cooking, etc.). Wheelock's will introduce one paradigm after another, but First Form will spread things out, covering all the grammar over 4 volumes (that kids do in 4 years -- you could go faster), giving you more time to absorb the paradigms.

I've done some Latin with my kids -- taught through LC1 and now just quiz vocabulary and help with understanding grammar concepts to support them with their online classes. Ds takes First Form at Memoria Press Academy and dd takes Latin 1 with Wheelock's at Artesian Wells. If you're serious about Latin study, I recommend having some real accountability for yourself, such as enrolling in an online class!

For myself, I'm focusing on Greek. My first exposure was with Elementary Greek (Open Texture) as I went through it with my kids. At this pace, I was able to make steady progress and have plenty of time to absorb the paradigms (which is why I made the First Form suggestion above). As we neared the end of the series, I decided to step up the pace and took a Greek 1 class at the local university. What a whirlwind! I did well, scoring over 100% on the final (with a bonus question), but it was such an intense and quick study that I'm having to relearn some of it now -- too quick to really stick! Now, I'm studying at high school pace with an online class at The Potter's School. Since I, personally, don't have the long-term self-discipline to study on my own while also homeschooling, cooking, etc., etc., having the accountability of this class is the best solution for me.