Menu

Doesn't TLC actually stand for "The Learning Channel"?? I hate reality TV.

Oh, I know! How many more times do I have to see commercials about the baby being born shows?

It is a sign of the times though. The ratings are the best when those reality television shows are on. It is just a symptom of the Dumbing Down America disease so prevalent in our society today.

I know what you are saying but I have to admit that I love Pawn Stars. I have actually learned quite a bit of history from the show and it has sparked my kids into learning more about some things.

American Pickers -oh that show is just awful. I think those 2 guys are obnoxious and are more interested in making a steal then in the historical aspects of what they find.

I know what you are saying but I have to admit that I love Pawn Stars. I have actually learned quite a bit of history from the show and it has sparked my kids into learning more about some things.

My husband is addicted to this show. While I get pretty tired of the "characters", I do find the objects they bring in to be rather interesting. Rick does seem to have a genuine interest in history.

American Pickers -oh that show is just awful. I think those 2 guys are obnoxious and are more interested in making a steal then in the historical aspects of what they find.

:iagree: This show is annoying. Plus, the clutter and trash they go through gives me the willies. I get all anxious when I seem them crawl through a cluttered barn. Kind of how I get all overwhelmed when I have to do my own decluttering.

In defense of The History Channel, the documentaries are expensive to produce. They can only do so many of them a year. I do have a gripe with how are getting more and more sensational for the sake of ratings. I feel I have to preview more and more of their stuff before I can use them for educational purposes with my youngers.

what? no mention of Ice Road Truckers? :lol: at least the deadliest roads version had something interesting with various cultures and stuff. (ok, I'm stretching for it....)

Pawn Stars - seen enough but sometimes it's interesting stories

Pickers - got bored with that. too much like a yard sale gone bad.

Swamp People -- why was that made?

and my oldest daughter said it well the other day as she turned off the TV when Ancient Aliens was on "Mom. I'm going to clean my room instead.";)

-crystal

I used to LOVE the History Channel. They did such great documentaries. Now, however, whenever I turn it on I get cr@p like American Pickers, and Pawn Stars, and Swamp People. (And don't even get me started on Ancient Aliens!!)

Someone explain to me how all this 'reality' t.v. has anything to do with history? Ggrrrrr!!!! :rant:

We do sometimes like Pawn Stars and learn a lot of interesting facts. Rick seems like a very bright and knowledgable person. But for the life of me I can't see the logical connection of Larry the Cable Guy and the History Channel. Ugh!!

Oh, I know! How many more times do I have to see commercials about the baby being born shows?

It is a sign of the times though. The ratings are the best when those reality television shows are on. It is just a symptom of the Dumbing Down America disease so prevalent in our society today.

Wait, on TLC? Like "A Baby Story"? What's wrong with that? I've been watching it a bit for the first time because, as you can see in my sig, I'm due in June...our oldest two, I didn't actually 'give birth' to them, so this is my first pregnancy. I've been, as you can imagine, really curious (ok and terrified LOL) about the whole birth process itself. Don't take away my baby education :p

Wait, on TLC? Like "A Baby Story"? What's wrong with that? I've been watching it a bit for the first time because, as you can see in my sig, I'm due in June...our oldest two, I didn't actually 'give birth' to them, so this is my first pregnancy. I've been, as you can imagine, really curious (ok and terrified LOL) about the whole birth process itself. Don't take away my baby education :p

Oh, I don't know the name of it. I don't watch it. But yeah, after you have this baby, how many times are you really going to want to watch someone give birth? It is kind of how I feel about teA. If I'm not doing it, I really don't want to hear about it, and I certainly don't want to watch someone else. :D

I like Pawn Stars too, that show is really interesting.

American Pickers though...I am always yelling at the television, "YOU ARE TOO OLD TO SAY 'DUDE!!!'"

I hope their tetnus shots are up to date. It freaks me out when they are climbing around in those places.

I hear ya. My husband is completely addicted to all of the "How It's Made" type shows. I can only watch so many of them before wanting to go into a coma. I like Pawn Stars (my dad owns a pawn shop, though), but I HATE Pickers. I always feel so bad for these older people when the guys show up and just start rifling through their stuff.

My favorite channel right now is BBC America. I might be mildly addicted to Top Gear. And Top Gear America does NOT count. :D

I hear ya. My husband is completely addicted to all of the "How It's Made" type shows. I can only watch so many of them before wanting to go into a coma. I like Pawn Stars (my dad owns a pawn shop, though), but I HATE Pickers. I always feel so bad for these older people when the guys show up and just start rifling through their stuff.

My favorite channel right now is BBC America. I might be mildly addicted to Top Gear. And Top Gear America does NOT count. :D

Woa...that's strange. How did I type that without realizing it?

:lol:

My dh ALSO watches "How It's Made" until I go into a coma and I *adore* Top Gear. BBC America is my favorite channel (unless they are showing Star Trek! Come ON!!! I have Star Trek on DVD) Top Gear is the only show that I sometimes have to use my inhaler because I am laughing so hard.

I like Pawn Stars but my dad works for Toyota.

Edited by Sis

Those shows are awful b/c they make everyone believe that normal, low-risk birth is something to be feared or dangerous. My pitocin-induced, drug-filled birth with DD1 in the hospital was the most excruciatingly painful experience of my life. I had dd2 naturally in a birth pool at home with a midwife and doula two years later and I kept saying "This is it, seriously?! When is it gonna start getting painful?" :tongue_smilie: I was laughing and joking and having a fantastic time up until the last 10 minutes when it got serious and had to push dd out. If I had known that natural birth was *that* and not "OMG I feel like I'm dying with pain..give me drugs now!!" then I never would have been so scared. Women go into the hospital and get an epidural immediately b/c they are so terrified of their bodies! It's horrible, imo. Those shows are disgusting and should never be allowed to be on the air, ever. It sounds extreme, and I am. They perpetuate a myth.

Please don't be scared. Your body knows what to do. You'll be fine!!!:D

Oh NOOO! I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I like watching Ancient Aliens :001_huh: OK, I seriously don't believe a lick of it (I have my own ideas about "aliens") but it's interesting how these people are putting all this info together and they believe every word of it.

Yeah, I know--I'm lame.

For the record, I do wish they had more actual history instead of gooby things like Top Shot or whatever that show is.

I've never heard of some of the shows mentioned, but I did see the Pawn show last year when we were on vacation in FL. I thought it was very interesting. There was a lot of history in the episode we watched. We don't get HC, sadly. Is it on 24/7? I would think it's hard to fill all that air time...lol there has to be some rocks among the gems. I used to love TV Guide...you could check to see if there was anything worth watching before you turned on the TV. The DC must have a schedule of shows posted somewhere.

Edited by LibraryLover

:iagree:

Those shows are awful b/c they make everyone believe that normal, low-risk birth is something to be feared or dangerous. My pitocin-induced, drug-filled birth with DD1 in the hospital was the most excruciatingly painful experience of my life. I had dd2 naturally in a birth pool at home with a midwife and doula two years later and I kept saying "This is it, seriously?! When is it gonna start getting painful?" :tongue_smilie: I was laughing and joking and having a fantastic time up until the last 10 minutes when it got serious and had to push dd out. If I had known that natural birth was *that* and not "OMG I feel like I'm dying with pain..give me drugs now!!" then I never would have been so scared. Women go into the hospital and get an epidural immediately b/c they are so terrified of their bodies! It's horrible, imo. Those shows are disgusting and should never be allowed to be on the air, ever. It sounds extreme, and I am. They perpetuate a myth.

FWIW, my two Pitocin-induced deliveries were WAY easier and less painful than my first delivery, which was induced simply by breaking my water.

With #1, I had 2 hours of h***ish transition-like ctx that were two minutes apart and lasting 90 seconds each. The nurse wanted to give me something to slow them down, but the doctor said no because it was my own body doing it. Even getting the epidural an hour into it only brought down the pain to a slightly more tolerable level.

With #2 and #3, I only had those kinds of ctx for about 10 minutes each right at the end. With #2, the epi only worked on one side AND I had a scary drop in blood pressure plus by the time I got it, I was almost ready to push. So with #3, I went drug-free. The last 3 ctx were excruciatingly painful but there wouldn't have been time at that point to get an epi even had I wanted one.

Some deliveries are easier than others, and I don't think it has that much to do with whether Pitocin is involved.

Those shows are awful b/c they make everyone believe that normal, low-risk birth is something to be feared or dangerous.

<snip>

Women go into the hospital and get an epidural immediately b/c they are so terrified of their bodies! It's horrible, imo. Those shows are disgusting and should never be allowed to be on the air, ever. It sounds extreme, and I am. They perpetuate a myth.

Amen, to that!!! They perpetuate fear, all in the name of drama. Here are some better choices - some may be available at your library and some through netflix.

Giving Birth by Suzanne Arms

Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper

Stages of Labor (Injoy)

4 births, 3 inductions. The one baby that came on her own was the WORST one! (and she was the smallest! 5.5 lbs! go figure)

Every one is different; however I do agree with you that it is not something to be terrified of. Yes. It is going to hurt. Yes, you will live through it. just like millions of women throughout time and history have done.

These shows are like the birthing horror stories that everyone and their second cousin wants to tell you except you get to SEE it too!

FWIW, my two Pitocin-induced deliveries were WAY easier and less painful than my first delivery, which was induced simply by breaking my water.

With #1, I had 2 hours of h***ish transition-like ctx that were two minutes apart and lasting 90 seconds each. The nurse wanted to give me something to slow them down, but the doctor said no because it was my own body doing it. Even getting the epidural an hour into it only brought down the pain to a slightly more tolerable level.

With #2 and #3, I only had those kinds of ctx for about 10 minutes each right at the end. With #2, the epi only worked on one side AND I had a scary drop in blood pressure plus by the time I got it, I was almost ready to push. So with #3, I went drug-free. The last 3 ctx were excruciatingly painful but there wouldn't have been time at that point to get an epi even had I wanted one.

Some deliveries are easier than others, and I don't think it has that much to do with whether Pitocin is involved.

You're right. Pitocin is not the only factor in a horrible birth experience. I failed to go into extreme detail as to the pletheora of meds ( I OD'ed on stadol during the birth) and procedures unnecessarily given/performed with me so it appeared as though I was blaming strictly pitocin. Interventions when not needed are the issue, imo and those shows highlight that and make it seem normal to just take meds and have episiotomies when they aren't needed. That was my point. I'm glad you had a great hospital experience..I wish I could say the same as mine still haunts me to this day. :(

:lol: (sorry, I honestly don't believe that companies will listen to the minority)

No, I don't think they will. Otherwise there would be better decency standards on TV. I mean seriously, when did ED and an erection that lasts more than 4 hours become after diner conversation?

Wait, on TLC? Like "A Baby Story"? What's wrong with that? I've been watching it a bit for the first time because, as you can see in my sig, I'm due in June...our oldest two, I didn't actually 'give birth' to them, so this is my first pregnancy. I've been, as you can imagine, really curious (ok and terrified LOL) about the whole birth process itself. Don't take away my baby education!

Oh, I don't know the name of it. I don't watch it. But yeah, after you have this baby, how many times are you really going to want to watch someone give birth? It is kind of how I feel about teA. If I'm not doing it, I really don't want to hear about it, and I certainly don't want to watch someone else. :D

Ok I never thought of that - I'm all over it because it's an unfamiliar, unknown, and scary thing to me.... so I want to see what birth involves, etc. I guess if you've done it a few times, it might be kinda boring to watch! :laugh:

I don't know what "pitocin" is - but I know what the "epidural" is because I want it! Well, I want whatever makes it not hurt. Or not hurt as much. I don't deal well with pain - never have. My old doc gave me valium after knee surgery, what's that tell ya? I just want it done and over - as painless and quick as they can possibly make it. :001_unsure:

ack - the epidural thing didn't work right? Don't tell me that. :willy_nilly:

Amen, to that!!! They perpetuate fear, all in the name of drama. Here are some better choices - some may be available at your library and some through netflix.

Giving Birth by Suzanne Arms

Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper

Stages of Labor (Injoy)

I can't use our library right now, but I can check our netflix thing, thanks. :)

4 births, 3 inductions. The one baby that came on her own was the WORST one! (and she was the smallest! 5.5 lbs! go figure)

Every one is different; however I do agree with you that it is not something to be terrified of. Yes. It is going to hurt. Yes, you will live through it. just like millions of women throughout time and history have done.

These shows are like the birthing horror stories that everyone and their second cousin wants to tell you except you get to SEE it too!

I can't help it. This is all new and weird and freaking me out, to be honest. I don't do pain well. Not at all. And I'm freaked out over it all too because I'm really, really shy about my body - I don't even go for "woman's exams"...I've had like, two in my life.

Someone asked me if dh was gonna be there with me - heck no! I do NOT want him seeing me all like that! He can come in when they're all done and I'm cleaned up and have a nice shiny baby to show off. :D

What about that Alaska Gold Rush one? I can't stand it. :ack2: Nothing like fake drama, trashing the Earth, nasty smart mouths, super rude, whiney high pitched men's voices to drive you nuts. Sickening. What a waste of time, effort, and film! I hope to goodness they do not find anything in the way of gold, so that one falls by the wayside after this year. I can't take the old man's voice alone.

:mad:

What about that Alaska Gold Rush one? I can't stand it. :ack2: Nothing like fake drama, trashing the Earth, nasty smart mouths, super rude, whiney high pitched men's voices to drive you nuts. Sickening. What a waste of time, effort, and film! I hope to goodness they do not find anything in the way of gold, so that one falls by the wayside after this year. I can't take the old man's voice alone.

:mad:

There was one on that I had to change after the first 10 minutes yesterday. It was a cake decorating contest. All the contestants were women and every single one of them every time they spoke ended their sentences in a questioning manner. Like asking permission to do what they want to do. It sounds like the "..., okay?" is left off the end.

"We are going to build this cake to look like a firefighter holding a fire hose?"

"I'm going to use yellow and red fondant?"

"We will win this competition because we have 72 years of experience between us?"

I hear ya! I often flip to the History Channel thinking something interesting will be on, only to be disappointed over and over again. Although, I will admit to watching Swamp People just to hear the accents when I get a little homesick. I can usually find something interesting on Nat Geo Wild, but that gets old fast. And I canonly watch a few episodes of Mythbusters before I go nuts. Thank God for Netflix.

Well not every body reacts appropriately. :D I am quite thankful that I had a hospital birth as my body started reacting to my existing scar tissue with 3 weeks left in my pregnancy. I ended up having emergency surgery and a c-section as they didn't know exactly what was wrong until after they opened me up. Up to that point my pregnancy had been going along just fine. Thanks to modern medicine both my son and I were fine. In ancient times we probably would have both died. Not everyone is fine, even when their body responds. :001_huh:

....on the history channel note, I agree. What about Travel Channel. I love Ghost Adventures but I think it's a stretch being a real "travel show".

We'll be recording the History Channel tonight - Top Shot 2 is starting. It's one of dd's favorites - but mostly because Colby Donaldson is the host :)

Dh just came home and said, "Hey there is a really cool show on the History Channel tonight, we need to record it." I thought of this thread and snorted!!! :lol:

It was Top Shot.

I'm another one who likes Pawn Stars, but I know what you mean. I'm so disappointed in all of the History, Discovery, and Science Channels. They were quite good in their early days. Now it's all reality shows or let's blow stuff up. And I groaned when I saw that Larry the Cable Guy is getting a show. Sorry to his fans, but he just grates on my nerves.

Oh, and my son loves Mythbusters, but hey, it's physics right?