Menu

For those of us that teach evolution as fact....

Veritaserum

The program you linked looks very similar to Science Explorer.

I plan to use CPO Life Science next year for my younger son. In reviewing it extensively, I am really impressed with the uncluttered text and the depth of the questions. It doesn't come with a lab kit unfortunately.

Here's what Dr. Nebel said about why he's not covering evolution (from the K5science group):

I have the sense that he does accept evolution. I also have the sense that he isn't an atheist, or at least he's not an atheist who is outwardly anti-religion. The only clue I've seen in my time (2 years?) on the K5science list is his response to this article, which was that it "does rather parallel my own thinking". He didn't say what about the article is parallel to his thinking, nor did he specify anything else.

Here's something else... the table of contents to the textbook on environmental science that he co-authored includes a chapter called "Ecosystems and Evolutionary Change" (see here). It might be interesting to track down a copy and see what he says.

FWIW...

Nebel wrote back and said that all the ground work for setting up an understandin of evolutionary theory will be in Vol. 3, but it's not explicitly covered as a topic. So, I think he does accept evolution, but isn't explicitly covering the theory in this series.

My friend brought over her copy of Vol. 1 and I think it wouldn't work for us, anyway because of the extra prep I would need to do. Nebel's response puts me somewhat at ease, though.

The program you linked looks very similar to Science Explorer.

I plan to use CPO Life Science next year for my younger son. In reviewing it extensively, I am really impressed with the uncluttered text and the depth of the questions. It doesn't come with a lab kit unfortunately.

Are the labs doable at home?

Here's what Dr. Nebel said about why he's not covering evolution (from the K5science group):

I have the sense that he does accept evolution. I also have the sense that he isn't an atheist, or at least he's not an atheist who is outwardly anti-religion. The only clue I've seen in my time (2 years?) on the K5science list is his response to this article, which was that it "does rather parallel my own thinking". He didn't say what about the article is parallel to his thinking, nor did he specify anything else.

Here's something else... the table of contents to the textbook on environmental science that he co-authored includes a chapter called "Ecosystems and Evolutionary Change" (see here). It might be interesting to track down a copy and see what he says.

FWIW...

Nebel wrote back and said that all the ground work for setting up an understandin of evolutionary theory will be in Vol. 3, but it's not explicitly covered as a topic. So, I think he does accept evolution, but isn't explicitly covering the theory in this series.

My friend brought over her copy of Vol. 1 and I think it wouldn't work for us, anyway because of the extra prep I would need to do. Nebel's response puts me somewhat at ease, though.

Thank you both for this information! :001_smile:

I also think Nebel believes in evolution. I don't think he wants to lose his main customer base though, which I understand. I want someone with more guts! :)

Here's a brand new book released last month for those of you that like to collect evolution books, as I sure do. I think kids (and adults) would enjoy reading it, it's a comic-strip type book. I see there's one out on genetics as well.

Evolution: The Story of Life On Earth

The book someone mentioned earlier, Life on Earth: The Story of Evolution, is great! There's so many great resources, and more coming out all the time.

FWIW...

Thanks so much! It looks like I might be changing our science plans and jumping on the Nebel wagon. Ack!

I've got to tell you all, the evolution debates on the general board were really a great springboard for me. I have learned so much as a result!

I pulled up the printable version, copied it and pasted in my documents file. This is a great thread!

Another really nice single-volume resource is Peter Ackroyd's Voyages Through Time: The Beginning. It covers the Big Bang through the evolution of modern humans. The text is engaging, and it's a DK book so of course the visuals are excellent.

I especially appreciate that he is very direct about the limits of what is known, and the areas where there is still controversy or uncertainty.

• 1 month later...

For much younger children (3rd-4th grade) I'd recommend this meaty picture book: What Darwin Saw: The Journey that Changed the World by Rosalyn Schanzer.

Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life, a vid by David Attenborough, is very well done, I think (but we love his Life of Birds, A Void on the Map, Private Life of Plants, etc). Not only is it nicely, intellectually, done, it is really great to see a sharp, vital man in his 80s keeping on keeping on.

The Walking with series could be adored by a 4 year old, but The Tree of Life would take 7 or 8, I think.