Menu

Let's talk commercial kitchens --

and the lack thereof. Are these easy or hard to come by where you live? Meaning, if you wanted to produce a food for commercial purposes (here in Washington, any food processed to be sold has to be prepared in a "commercial kitchen"), would you be able to find a commercial kitchen to rent fairly easily? Or not? I know what the situation is here (hard), but I just wonder if we're unusual or is this pretty typical. Whenever I'm in conversation with people who'd be interested in producing food for sale, the issue of needing a commercial kitchen comes up. There are a few that exist locally, but renting them apparently isn't something that's offered.

ETA - I'm not looking for one to rent -- just wondering, generally speaking, if people in your community who need one have access to one fairly easily or not. Sorry I wasn't more clear! :001_smile:

Edited by milovaný

I have once in my entire life been inside a commercial kitchen when I helped a caterer friend of mine with wedding preparations of a church member.

If she (caterer) had not had connections with the restaurant, I am not sure if it would have been possible to rent it or what the price would be.

I sure enjoyed and stainless steel counters and fancy knives, huge ovens and neat (and fast!) food processors. Could have spent more time there but had to attend the wedding eventually. :001_smile: Sorry, not a whole lot of help here.

Also - some big churches have licensed commercial kitchens. They wouldn't be listed on a site like the one I linked but you could call them and ask.

Yes, I'm in the same state (I did the search just for our town). There were some listed there on the west side, and one in Spokane I think.

I know there are commercial kitchens *here* -- I just don't think they're available for rent in a regular way. I met someone last week who wants to bake cakes for a business, and another one that wants to make candies. And this is the hardest part as they get started -- finding a place to rent at a price they can afford as they just start out.

Edited by milovaný

I've never looked into it but I know several small businesses that rent space/time from pizza places during the day (when the pizza places are closed). We also have a business incubator (a building set up just for small businesses getting started) and they put in a commercial kitchen a couple of years ago.. If one were really interested, I would start asking small restaurants that aren't opened for every meal and see if they are willing.

If it hasn't already been done, I would start calling every restaurant in town. Especially the smaller, hole-in-the-wall types and new restaurants. There is a small place here in town that rents their kitchen to a woman who makes pastries to sell at the Farmer's Market. I wouldn't think larger chain restaurants would do it but certainly smaller, fledgling businesses.

Here, the economic development center offers rentals of a commercial kitchen as does the community college. I don't know the fees involved though I suspect the development center would be reasonable. Several restaurants sit empty locally with lovely, new commercial kitchens. You'd think they would want to rent those out....