Menu

Kindle/Nook or ? for son with autism...

SillyAutismMan can not read...but rather than just get him audiobooks I thought maybe he could use a Kindle IF it also would read aloud so he could maybe try to read the words as he heard them. But how is the sound quality on this contraptions - would it even be worth it?

SillyAutismMan can not read...but rather than just get him audiobooks I thought maybe he could use a Kindle IF it also would read aloud so he could maybe try to read the words as he heard them. But how is the sound quality on this contraptions - would it even be worth it?

I would caution against buying a Kindle for a child or allowing one to use a Kindle unless you are fairly certain both the child and any siblings will be gentle. Mine had been used exactly twice when my 9yo accidentally destroyed it. She was laying on the bed reading and the two year old, who weighed 20 pounds, climbed up next to her, tripped and fell tummy to tummy on top of her with the Kindle sandwiched between them. Totally killed it. I had no idea they were so delicate. My husband called Amazon and pleaded for clemency. Luckily it was so new that they replaced it. I will never allow the children to touch it, nor will I read it or leave it anywhere near a toddler, preschooler, or anyone else who is the slightest bit unpredictable. Forewarned is forearmed :D

Barb

ETA: If you decide against an ereader you can get him a Sansa instead and then download audiobooks from the library. Check out the coordinating book and your idea would work with a little planning.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ