Menu

BJU Life Science (7th grade) Questions...

I bought the investigations dvd from cbd. That's weird if HomeScienceTools doesn't sell it, as they're so thorough. I bought a gr kit for BJU science from them once and it was fine. I haven't bought anything yet, because we just flurried into the Life Science. Honestly, she's watching the labs and enjoying them. This week she's starting into microscopes. We have one, so she'll do some of those things. I think find your balance. Having the investigations lab makes your life easy. How much of the labs you do beyond that is your call. Some you might like to do, and some, like the cow heart, you might prefer to watch. ;)

Trying to think on the tm here. I have it, borrowed from SIL. I use it, but only because I find myself quickly doing my outlining from it while she's doing hers from the text, oops. If I got done ahead, it wouldn't be so bad, lol. It's definitely not as useful as previous years. Can you find it used somewhere to decide for yourself? It hasn't been valuable enough to me right now to be worth a ton of money new. Definitely like the tests though. I guess you've already heard me or others say that.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Love the Investigations DVD! I bought most of the kit for BJU Life Science from Home Training tools, but with the labs on DVD we really didn't need it.

I'd recommend getting the items to dissect (worm, frog) and the dissection tools, gloves, tray, etc... This is excellent experience to prepare for high school and the DVD and Lab Activity do an outstanding job of walking the student step-by-step through the dissection.

I'm also glad we invested in a microscope and the slides. You can look up pictures of slides on the internet and they are also on the DVD, so if money is an issue this is not a must have.

DD was just using the stethoscope for her lesson today - that's pretty fun to have and will probably be used again in high school.

Acid/Base test strips are cheap - they come in a pack of 30 (or something like that) and are worth buying.

I bought the equipment for the experiment on osmosis and diffusion and it was kind of pricey (special tubes, rack for holding them, etc.) and it's probably just as effective to watch the lab on the DVD. I made the investment because I figured we'd be using it again for high school and for my younger DD.

I like having the Teacher's Guide. It includes the answers to the chapter review questions and activity pages. I don't use any of the teaching tips, but the answers are convenient.

I used the TM extensively for Life Science. We didn't use the lab dvd so the TM was very helpful in setting up and completing the labs. And it has the answers! :) Also I liked having the margin notes throughout the chapters...some of these notes have really interesting information in them!

For BJU science, I usually buy the student text and teacher's manual first. THEN I go through and decide IN ADVANCE what labs we are going to do (they give lots of choices...we try to do at least 1 or 2 per chapter...sometimes more). I make a list of the materials that I need to buy and then order these items individually from Home Science Tools. It is much cheaper to do this than purchase an entire kit....which may contain things that you won't use.

HTH!

Jetta

I used the TM extensively for Life Science. We didn't use the lab dvd so the TM was very helpful in setting up and completing the labs. And it has the answers! :) Also I liked having the margin notes throughout the chapters...some of these notes have really interesting information in them!

For BJU science, I usually buy the student text and teacher's manual first. THEN I go through and decide IN ADVANCE what labs we are going to do (they give lots of choices...we try to do at least 1 or 2 per chapter...sometimes more). I make a list of the materials that I need to buy and then order these items individually from Home Science Tools. It is much cheaper to do this than purchase an entire kit....which may contain things that you won't use.

HTH!

Jetta

:iagree:

This is exactly what I do. I find the kits have a lot of things we already have around the house and they don't have everything you need. I pick what I will need and price it. I typically spend an amount similar to the kit but pick higher quality items and those which we really need.