Menu

grammar for Mom?

I am wanting to learn grammar before teaching my dc. Do you have any recommendations for me? I definitely want something that covers diagramming. My top contenders are R&S starting at Grade 5 or AG. Which would be better for self ed or is there something else I should look into?

I did this same thing! For my level of grammar knowledge (very low, sad to say!), I went with R&S level 5. I went through level 4 because someone had given it to me, but that was to see where they were coming from, and remember the adverbs, pronouns, etc. Level 5 was comfortable for me, and helped me tremendously!

Hi, We used FLL. If you use a curriculum like that you learn or re-learn as you go. No studying or prep is done ahead of time. I had strong grammar in school and found it fun but forgot a lot of the terms & how to diagram. Don't worry you learn as you go through it...

The only grammar books I've ever liked are from MCT.

I knew no grammar in high school or college, but did have to learn because I got a job tutoring at a place that emphasizes grammar. I learned by looking things up and asking grammar folks I knew.

But when I got the MCT books, I actually found books I enjoyed exploring. For one thing, it's not cut-and-dried, because grammar really isn't (even tho most books try to make it seem so). Somehow that made it more valuable to me :confused:

The Magic Lens 1 book should be enough for a parent:

http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

Julie

I have spent a lot of time drooling over MCT for the kids but I never considered it for myself. I'll have to look into that. I actually was thinking that having a stronger grammar background might help me teach MCT.:tongue_smilie:

Thank you all! It's neat to see others doing the same thing.:D AG assumes no prior grammar knowledge, correct?