Menu

chemistry textbook?

I am looking for a SECULAR high school chemistry textbook.

I was going to use Prentice Hall Chemistry, but my dd looked through it and thought it looked far too basic. I agree with her that it seems pretty low-level. I think it would be perfect for 8th or 9th graders, but it seems far too light for an 11th grader, especially after AP Physics.

I'm not looking for an AP level chemistry course. I'm just looking for something that covers all the material in a regular high school chemistry course without talking down or going out of its way to sound complicated.

I got Introductory Chemistry by Nivaldo Tro today. It looks like it might be what I'm looking for. My only concern with this text is that it says at the front that it's intended for a one-semester college-level course. I want to use it for a full year of high school and I don't know if that would be an issue or not. It definitely covers everything that's in Prentice Hall Chemistry (which is intended to be a full-year course) and covers it all at a deeper level and with a lot more practice problems.

I also have Introductory Chemistry by Corwin. My 17yo is using that at the cc for chemistry this semester. It isn't laid out at nicely as the book by Tro and the explanations aren't as clear either.

I have World of Chemistry (Zumdahl) ordered, but it won't arrive until tomorrow.

Whatever I get has to have full solutions available. I know I can get solution manuals from Prentice Hall. I'm already registered with them as a hser. I don't know how difficult that would be for other publishers. I can actually buy the solution manual for Tro's book cheaper from PH than I can from amazon, even used.

I think I'd be quite happy to use Tro as long as colleges won't quibble about it being used for a full year course in high school (since it's recommended for a one-semester course in college).

So have any of y'all used Tro's Introductory Chemistry as a one-year course for high school or do you have any recommendations? I am only interested in completely secular options.