Menu

Elemental Science? questions about 1st grade Science program

jewel7123

I'm still undecided on what to use for 1st grade Science. This year for Science I've kept it light.....we've mostly just checked out books from the library on random science topics....weather, animals, hibernation, migration, etc. We've done a few experiments here and there, but I need to get more consistent with this, and I'd love to have them correlate with the topics we're reading about.

I've also got a 4 year old to include, so I want something that will be appropriate for both of them.

About Elemental Science, I'm curious about the information and topics included in the Intro to Science program. Are these touched upon in the grammar 4 year cycle? If I start with Biology (to stay on the WTM cycle) will we be missing out since we didn't use Intro to Science first? Could I do a combination of Intro to Science/Biology or would that be too much or unnecessary?

Another thing......I had purchased The Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Natural World, as well as the Usborne Complete First Book of Nature. I had planned to use them with Living Learning Science Level 1 (the first edition), but now I'm not so sure that curriculum is what I want after all. Is there another WTM Science curriculum that uses these two books, or would I be able to replace one or more of the spines used in Elemental Science Biology 1 with these books?

Thanks for any input!

We use RSO and supplement with Elemental Science Biology. They felt like a really great mesh. We also use a lot of Bill Nye videos, Bindi the Jungle Girl videos, Magic School Bus videos, and library books on various interests. :)

ETA: Sorry my reply didn't answer your questions. I meant to reply to the other Elemental Science thread. :D

Edited by Cindyz

The topics covered in Intro are covered in more depth in the grammar stage programs, so you wouldn't miss out by not doing Intro. The purpose of the Intro program was to provide a K science program for those who wanted to do science with the K-er. It would be fine to start with Biology for the Grammar Stage and you could combine it with Intro, but I think it would be too much at that age.

I'm not aware of another WTM style science that uses the spines you mention. I haven't seen those books personally so I can't say for certain that all the topics covered in Elemental Science would be covered in those spines. You could certainly try, but you would have to plan out the corresponding pages. There is a topical index in the teacher's guide that can help you do that.

If you have anymore questions, just let me know :).

Thank you for the information about Intro. The Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Natural World was a recommended spine in the 1999 version of The Well Trained Mind. I don't have the 2004 or 2009 editions. Are the spines you have selected recommended in these newer editions of WTM?

When I first wrote Biology for the Grammar Stage the 2009 edition of TWTM wasn't out yet, the recommended spines in the 2004 edition where the Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of Animals, the Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia and Green Thumbs. I felt Green Thumbs didn't lend itself well to the format of our program, so I replaced it with Plant Parts. Then in 2009 the Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia went out of print for awhile, so I replaced it with DK's First Human Body Encyclopedia. That's the long answer to a short questions :D.