Menu

Is the Ten Days in Europe game too hard for an average 7 yr old?

HappyGrace

Howdy,

I am a boardgame hobbyist (my wife and I first played this when it was released as Europa Tour) and the parent of a 7-year-old, so I'll give this one a shot!

My daughter at 6 was able to handle games rated for age 8+, and this includes playing games like Zooloretto. However, games with maps proved to be more of a challenge. I think Ten Days' combination map parsing with planning is tricky.

For the type of planning that Ten Days has, you'd be better off with Racko.

For a geography game, I would recommend Transamerica/Transeuropa. My daughter manages that game well and it's one of her favorites.

FYI, in case Ticket to Ride (Europe or otherwise) comes up... I plan on waiting at least another year to attempt that one.

To support what I said, over at BoardGameGeek.com, there are polls for what the users think the minimum age should be for games. For 10 Days in Europe, 5 of 6 said 8yo, 1 said 10yo. For Transamerica, 11/27 thought it was okay for a 6yo, and 4/5 thought Transeuropa was okay for a 6yo.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/348325/raising-gamers-transeuropa-with-kids