Menu

CLE Math 1 vs Saxon Math 1

tuzor

I recently ordered my LA 100 LTR and Reading 100 from CLP. I have not done a through investigation of my purchase but so far, I really like what I see. I am wondering if I should have ordered the math as well. I told myself I would order Saxon for our next year because everywhere I go I hear so many good things about Saxon math. I have also heard some negative but overall that it is a good program. My question to you all is has anyone used both and what are your suggestions. My oldest is in K and I am planning and purchasing for our first grade year now. I want him to have a good solid foundation and understanding.(Of course don't we all) I like that Saxon has manipulatives I don't see that option for CLE. While doing research I read that in early stages manipulatives are good to enhance the learing experience. Do any of you use CLE and have manipulatives? Please chime in. Thanks.

and I prefer CLE hands down. I don't know, Saxon has been known to bring a child in my house to tears. We haven't used it for quite a few years, but as I recall, my kids never felt like there was any variety in the worksheets. CLE has tons of variety, but they revisit problems enough that they have no problem mastering the concepts. I really kike the Light Unit format, and the concentration on math facts in grades 1-4 is hands down the best I have seen, and we have used alot of math-- Saxon, Math-U-See, Singapore, Teaching Textbooks. Only my oldest is using TT and the other 4 are doing CLE. I don't see them changing for all of grade school.