Menu

Just starting HS'ing with 1st grade this fall - how's this plan sound?

pgr

I have been researching homeschooling, different philosophies, different resources, etc for about two years now. I've gone from considering afterschooling to withdrawing my application to a job I'd interviewed for in order to learn at home with my kids.

Our eldest will be in first grade this fall; she's currently in a half day Montessori K.

After much research and consideration, I *think* I've come up with a plan for next year. I wish I could get to a convention to actually see the resources in real life, and I know that what one family has to abandon right off the bat will be what another loves and sticks to through the end.

With that in mind, I'd love it if you could sound off on my choices...

I do plan to use one source as the main "spine", listed first in italics under each subject, and the others as supplements, usually not daily (especially true for language arts).

Language Arts:

CQLA

Reading list complied from various sources (AO, SCM, etc); working with HOD "Drawn Into the Heart of Reading" maybe one day a week

Getty Dubai

English for the Thoughtful Child

Wordly Wise

Classical Writing

Math:

Horizons

supplement with Math on the Level

Science:

REAL Science 4 Kids

supplement with NOEO book lists for reading

Nature study/journaling

History:

CHOW

"All Through the Ages" for reading

Usborne Encyclopedia of Ancient History

Geography:

A Child's Geography of the World

Critical Thinking:

Building Thinking Skills

Foreign Language:

Sing Song Latin/Latina Prima

Easy Spanish

Easy French

Art:

ARTistic pursuits? (not sure)

Music:

not sure yet...

I think that's it? I'm writing based on memory since I'm at my current full-time job away from home right now....

ACK! I'm starting to get a little panicked! Is it too much? Is it enough? Can I really do this???

(thank you in advance for any input!)

Edited by pgr
typo...

Honestly, I'm sure a lot of people will say it's great, but it sounds like a bit much to me, and I'm a total curriculum junkie. You've got Wordly Wise, English for the Thoughtful Child, Classical Writing and CQLA. One of those would be plenty for first grade. I'd drop Wordly Wise for sure, because a kid that age can pick up vocabulary just from you reading aloud. Then I'd decide which of the other three to use, but definitely not more than one of them. I also would choose one second language for now, unless you already speak another one in the home and your child is familiar with it. If you don't, and you don't have a child who is either gifted or advanced in picking up foreign languages, I think 3 is too many for first grade. The rest sounds great. :)

I agree that it's a bit much. What I would personally do is start off with going a bit more basic (drop the languages to either 1 or none, skip geography as well as critical thinking), and then, if all is going smoothly and you feel you can add more in and enjoy it, then do so gradually.

I'm not familiar with all you LA choices, so I can comment there.

When we started, I bought one program to start at the beginning of the summer and then added a little here and there until we were at a full load when September came. It worked out really well! It also helped me to see how my son learns and what works for us so that hopefully I would make fewer mistakes with what we bought. It also put us ahead in some things so when those sick days came later, it was no big deal!

:iagree: I would not start more than one foreign language at a time, especially at that age. I'd wait until she's had a good bit under her belt (do people still use that saying? :)) of one language first before starting another, and that good bit may take quite a while at that age. I'd probably wait at least a year. Maybe you could start one now, after school, and then add something else next fall/winter.

A useful exercise might be to try to schedule out a week or two to see what it might look like (keeping in mind that some things may take longer or shorter amounts of time than you'd guess. I'm only five weeks into this, and learning so much as we go along :)). It looks like there's too much in your list for first grade.

I will be doing 1st in the Fall also. I am keeping it simple... I really want to focus on the 3 R's for right now so I know he will be getting adequate time on those.

Here's what we are doing:

Reading:

ElizabethB's free Webster's Speller Lessons

and

Reading living books together.

Writing:

Loops and Other Groups Cursive

Math:

Book ideas from http://www.livingmath.net (I Love Math series)

Family Math

Family games that reinforce math concepts

The subjects above get done daily. We also enjoy using Five in a Row although we don't get to it every day. My DS has a nature journal... We try to go on a nature walk once per week (weather permitting). We talk about the habitats we see and he chooses something to draw in his nature journal. It's very simple at this age but he learns so much.

When it comes to science/history/geography, we check out library books that interest him... or books that go along with the FIAR book we are reading. This may sound like a gentle approach but my son soaks it up. We might read a book once and he absorbs so much information from it!

I am planning to continue this routine for 1st grade. Eventually I will add some short copy work phrases, such as a memory verse etc... but for now I just want DS to focus on learning how to write his letters properly.

I am also planning to do our living books in a Charlotte Mason way starting this Fall.

My kids (5 & 3) also help me in the kitchen on a daily basis... They are awesome helpers and we enjoy all of the learning opportunities that go along with cooking etc...

I would encourage you to keep it simple. These years won't last long... soon, you'll need to be teaching lots of things.... There are so many teaching moments to be had in real life at this age.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the replies! I appreciate the perspective.

In my "defense" (:blushing:), I may not have explained well enough that I plan to use one primary resource, and the others only to add things as appropriate, needed, or as they tie in with what we're doing.

We have already started "doing" English for the Thoughtful Child and Horizons, as well as reading from CHOW. I am very careful to follow her lead as far as what she's asking to learn and stopping when her attention is waning.

She's at an advanced level in many areas, including foreign language (English is not her first language, but she speaks/reads/writes fluently).

I was planning to use the italicized sources as a primary (i.e. get through the whole level by the end of the year) resource, and all the others just as "extras" (including foreign languages) depending on where my DD takes us herself, and not trying to get through a certain level.

Clear as mud?...

Regardless, I appreciate the responses - I may need to drop stuff fairly quickly (or not start them at all)!

:)

Oh, nope...you were clear enough. I just somehow missed that part. lol

I still would not do three languages. I would work on whatever her first language is and English. That's 2 already. She's only in first grade. As parents we tend to think our kids are a lot more capable than they really are, and there's just no reason to overburden her at her age. Two is plenty, IMO. Work on those two, get into the groove of homeschooling, then add more. Unless your daughter is a real parent-pleaser, you might be surprised at how challenging the first year of homeschooling can be.

pgr - I think a good place to start, if you haven't already, is to read The Well-Trained Mind. Not only does it give suggestions for curriculum and schedules, but it also gives a good deal of information on the why things work at certain ages. If you don't have time to read the entire book, a great place to start is the "Joy of Classical Education" lecture by Susan Wise Bauer. The instant download is only $0.99 and well worth much more than that.

The reason I suggest it is that while having a subject called "critical thinking" sounds really impressive, especially to those who don't like or understand homeschooling, first grade is really not the time to incorporate it. SWB goes into this in her book and her lecture.

And I do agree with the others that you have too much. Remember, that 1st grade (and the rest of the grammar stage) is for learning the basics really, really well so that during the logic stage your child can build upon the solid foundation you built in the early years.

:grouphug: Good luck and happy homeschooling!

Dropping something in the way of foreign language and critical thinking sounds good - these are areas I have not felt certain with. Well, I haven't felt certain with most of it, really, but I think I need to stop jumping on what did or didn't work for others and just see how it goes for us.

Part of the apprehension is that we're moving to PA, which is apparently one of the strictest when it comes to HS laws.

Yikes.

(Thank you!!!)

I'm new and planning for first grade too. I've been ordering away and my dining room table looks a little nuts! I'm not trying to hijack here, I thought it might be interesting to compare b/c according to what I read here on this site, we are probably "over-planned" too. I'd rather have a lot planned and drop than not attempt enough. I'm doing the file folder thing, it should be interesting to see how much we get through each week that I plan for. No matter what Phonics Road and Math will be done at least 5 times per week. The other stuff is what will be sacrificed if we can't fit it all in.

We're doing:

L/A:

Phonics Road 1

VP First Favorites 1 and 2

Math:

McRuffy Color Math

Family Math

(I've got Orange Miquon too, not sure if we will add it in or not)

History (3 x per week):

ToG/Year 2 Units 3 and 4 at half pace - but the more I plan the more I realize I don't need ToG yet, I am using their books and schedule but lots of smaller craft projects - not one big long unit craft project - and only using the Map Aids very casually. We are adding the Plymouth History Pocket and the unit lapbooks which look right up my crafty girl's alley. Oh, lots of field trips for this over the course of the year to the Smithsonian, Jamestown/Williamsburg, Amish PA, Mount Vernon, Monticello and so on.

Geography (3-5 times per week):

Pulling from various sources. Parts of Beginning Geography K-2 ebook from Evan-Moor coupled with VA geography (neighborhood, town, state) then moving into Expedition Earth for the rest of the year. One country per week, more hands on cooking/coloring/singing which is why I picked it.

Science (2-3 times per week):

Very CMish, all four season unit studies from Handbook of Nature Study blog coupled with another unit study for each season from Shining Dawn (ie. Snow and Ice for winter, etc.).

Mandarin Rosetta Stone with her father once per week on weekends (she's already in Mandarin in public school this year and my MIL is Chinese and speaks Mandarin with her when they are together).

She'll continue with year round swimming lessons and add in Tae Kwon Do. She will begin CCD at our parish.

It sounds like so much when you get it all listed out!

Edited by BBG580

As a recovering curriculum junkie :blushing: I have to say I agree that you're asking for a very busy year (even if you don't do the potential supplements). I got so excited when ds hit first grade that I, seriously, ended up with about three different LA curricula and I attempted to use them all. My poor boy's eyes were all glazed over by the end of the year! I'm still learning how to let go and simplify/combine, but I'm getting better (much to ds' relief!) There's just so much good stuff out there! :drool5:

Anyway, start slow. You can always add more later if need be. It's good that you're keeping a pulse on how much your dd is willing/able to handle at a time. That will help a lot.

BTW, welcome to the adventure! :party:

For LA, you just need reading (which can be accomplished by just reading if she's already reading well - that's what we're doing), writing/handwriting (copywork, oral narrations that you write), grammar (though this can be delayed with no ill effect), phonics, and spelling. If you get a phonics-based spelling program, that can take care of both of those subjects. ;)

Definitely nix the critical thinking. First graders, even advanced ones, usually don't have logic skills yet. That's a developmental stage. I wanted to bang my head against the wall just trying to get my first grader to understand an Encyclopedia Brown story. :lol: Logic just isn't there yet at all. :)

I'm doing the following for LA:

R&S English: 5 minutes (done orally) - this is grammar only

WWE1: 10 minutes - this is writing (copywork/narration)

Copywork: 5 minutes - handwriting

All About Spelling: 20 minutes - spelling and phonics

For reading, I just have him read aloud to me from a good chapter book (this week is Charlotte's Web).

Next year, I'm replacing R&S English with FLL, mostly to try it out and see which one I like better (since I'm using R&S a year early, we can go back to R&S the following year and not be out of sequence at all, though it doesn't really matter).

Other subjects include math, history (3x/week), science (sort of 2x/week if it gets done :tongue_smilie:), Bible, and we draw for art (1x/week). I plan to add some music study in there as well, but haven't gotten there yet. We've only had 6 weeks of school!

Anyway, keep it simple to start out. First graders need the 3Rs. Focus on those. Once those are taken care of, start branching out into other areas.

I am also starting 1st grade in the fall. We have been doing some work, as more to set a pace than anything else. Our plan includes:

Math: Singapore

Language arts: Living books for both read aloud and read to mom. Narrations to follow story, as we already do it.

Phonics: Reading from scratch

Foreigner language: Portuguese by immersion

History/Geography: SOTW

I am yet to decide on science. Sure we will be doing experiments, but I am not set on a curriculum yet.

DD does violin, Tae Kown do, arts and gym classes. This is more than plenty.

I feel that this is enough and maybe even a bit too much. However, it is essentially what we are doing already without any problem.

Be well

Miriam

OK, I think I can stop worrying about not doing enough! :lol:

My DH helped me clarify something last night - I kept reading all the posts thinking "first grade? But she won't always be just in first grade..." He asked if I'd planned out the entire 12 years of education (looking at my spreadsheet :o), or just first grade.

That question made me realize that my "plan" is, in fact, a compilation of possible resources not just for next year, but for the elementary years in general, or at least grades 1-3. At 4th grade her little brother will be starting first grade, and I will hopefully have a better understanding of what works (for her, at least - then I can start over with DS!) and what doesn't.

One thing I am trying to be very, very mindful of is letting her set the pace, the tone, and the direction. After all, a person really *needs* to know how to read, write, and have a basis in math. The rest is either something that will make them a more well-rounded person, or will be useful to them in their adult vocation (which they will theoretically naturally gravitate toward eventually).

I guess the worst that will happen, if I'm very careful not to push my own agenda, is that I'll have wasted money on things we don't end up using - which is why I'm only buying the "core" stuff in the beginning and going from there.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the input - you guys have been a great help!

BBG580 - it's always great to compare notes! :D It's nice to meet someone else who's new and just starting first grade.

Brasilmom - thank you for sharing your first grade plan as well!

If you're interested in first grade plans, I can tell you what we did for 1st tjis year. My daughter is not an advanced reader, though, so that's a little different than your situation.

History:

Story of the World (with Activity Guide and lots of supplemental books)

Reading:

Phonics Pathways

Once she was reading decently, we added the Pathway Readers chapter books

Spelling, Phonics, Handwriting and Grammar (it's an all-in-one):

Phonics Road 1

Math:

Rightstart B

Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Spanish:

Elemental Spanish, which we just started in the second half of 1st grade

Science:

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Real Science 4 Kids Pre-level Chemistry

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life Science

This is where I went overboard, BUT dd loves science and we never do more than 2 lessons in a week, so in reality it's not as much as it seems. BFSU is meant to be used anywhere from K-2nd grade, so we're spreading it out with the other two mixed in.

Art:

Artistic Pursuits

How to Teach Art to Children

This is dd's other passion, and we only do one lesson per week most weeks, but sometimes 2. They are 2 totally different programs. I highly recommend AP. :)

We don't use a separate writing curriculum, as the LA program I've chosen, Phonics Road, begins to cover that more next year. This year the focus is on learning to spell, read, write, and create proper sentences with correct punctuation and capitalization. We no longer use a separate handwriting program, as handwriting is also incorporated into Phonics Road (and it includes plenty of writing, so with penpals and that, we don't need extra practice writing). DD also takes piano lessons and attends a twice weekly P.E./swim class for home schoolers at the YMCA. Your local Y might have something like that, if you're interested. Ours only costs $18 per 6 week session.

So as you can see, I am also a curriculum junkie. I did not include the things we have, but don't use. If you see the recent thread where people discussed what they would've done differently for 1st grade, you'll notice that a few of us said we would've purchased less curriculum. It is nice to have options, but in my experience, it's made things more complicated. It makes you feel like you ought to USE the things you have, and that's frustrating when you just have too much. lol It's hard to edit, and it's hard not to use it all, so sometimes you try to do too much. I don't believe in the idea that all the different methods confuse a kid (I actually think knowing several ways to solve the same problem is helpful) but I do think it's stressful for ME, staring at these beautiful worksheets and knowing I'd just love to give her one, even though I really don't even like her doing lots of worksheets...but it's there, on the shelf, and it's calling my name. :lol: So that's where my advice is coming from. If you have an easy time editing yourself, then go for it. Buy 50 curricula for each subject. Just don't do it if you're like me and you'll be tempted to use it all. lol

:iagree: I would not start more than one foreign language at a time, especially at that age. I'd wait until she's had a good bit under her belt (do people still use that saying? :)) of one language first before starting another, and that good bit may take quite a while at that age. I'd probably wait at least a year. Maybe you could start one now, after school, and then add something else next fall/winter.

A useful exercise might be to try to schedule out a week or two to see what it might look like (keeping in mind that some things may take longer or shorter amounts of time than you'd guess. I'm only five weeks into this, and learning so much as we go along :)). It looks like there's too much in your list for first grade.

:iagree:

If you're interested in first grade plans, I can tell you what we did for 1st tjis year. My daughter is not an advanced reader, though, so that's a little different than your situation.

History:

Story of the World (with Activity Guide and lots of supplemental books)

Reading:

Phonics Pathways

Once she was reading decently, we added the Pathway Readers chapter books

Spelling, Phonics, Handwriting and Grammar (it's an all-in-one):

Phonics Road 1

Math:

Rightstart B

Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Spanish:

Elemental Spanish, which we just started in the second half of 1st grade

Science:

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Real Science 4 Kids Pre-level Chemistry

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life Science

This is where I went overboard, BUT dd loves science and we never do more than 2 lessons in a week, so in reality it's not as much as it seems. BFSU is meant to be used anywhere from K-2nd grade, so we're spreading it out with the other two mixed in.

Art:

Artistic Pursuits

How to Teach Art to Children

This is dd's other passion, and we only do one lesson per week most weeks, but sometimes 2. They are 2 totally different programs. I highly recommend AP. :)

We don't use a separate writing curriculum, as the LA program I've chosen, Phonics Road, begins to cover that more next year. This year the focus is on learning to spell, read, write, and create proper sentences with correct punctuation and capitalization. We no longer use a separate handwriting program, as handwriting is also incorporated into Phonics Road (and it includes plenty of writing, so with penpals and that, we don't need extra practice writing). DD also takes piano lessons and attends a twice weekly P.E./swim class for home schoolers at the YMCA. Your local Y might have something like that, if you're interested. Ours only costs $18 per 6 week session.

So as you can see, I am also a curriculum junkie. I did not include the things we have, but don't use. If you see the recent thread where people discussed what they would've done differently for 1st grade, you'll notice that a few of us said we would've purchased less curriculum. It is nice to have options, but in my experience, it's made things more complicated. It makes you feel like you ought to USE the things you have, and that's frustrating when you just have too much. lol It's hard to edit, and it's hard not to use it all, so sometimes you try to do too much. I don't believe in the idea that all the different methods confuse a kid (I actually think knowing several ways to solve the same problem is helpful) but I do think it's stressful for ME, staring at these beautiful worksheets and knowing I'd just love to give her one, even though I really don't even like her doing lots of worksheets...but it's there, on the shelf, and it's calling my name. :lol: So that's where my advice is coming from. If you have an easy time editing yourself, then go for it. Buy 50 curricula for each subject. Just don't do it if you're like me and you'll be tempted to use it all. lol

Thank you!!!

Your list is very helpful, and I especially appreciate your perspective! I think we're all like that to some degree - if it's on the shelf, it should at least be given "a chance". Which could mean trying to cram in way too much.

*sigh*

Tell me this gets easier, LOL! (and we haven't even "formally" started HS'ing...)

When we started, I bought one program to start at the beginning of the summer and then added a little here and there until we were at a full load when September came. It worked out really well! It also helped me to see how my son learns and what works for us so that hopefully I would make fewer mistakes with what we bought. It also put us ahead in some things so when those sick days came later, it was no big deal!

:iagree: This is what we're in process of doing right now. We've been doing phonics & basic math, and between now and Sep. We'll add a a little every few weeks until we're where I want to be as far as quantity of work in Sep. I think that has a number of advantages; the thing I'm most excited about with this plan is that it gives us both time to grow into what we're doing. I'm finding that we both need to grow, and get some new skills in order to make this homeschool thing work. :D Good luck!

Tell me this gets easier, LOL! (and we haven't even "formally" started HS'ing...)

Yeah, when I started, I actually had TWO spelling programs on my shelf, because I couldn't decide between them. I had originally picked a third spelling program and then decided we didn't need it. Guess what we're using now? That third program that we didn't need. :tongue_smilie:But we're happy, so it's all good, and I did try the other two and found that they just weren't exactly what I wanted. I'm now settled in MOST of what I'm doing... except for science. I'm still playing with science. :D Everything else is firm at least for the end of the year (this is our 6th week of homeschooling). Grammar will change next year mainly because I want to try another program that I couldn't decide between to begin with. Since the one I'm using is being used a year early anyway, if we decide to come back to it, we can jump into the next level and not have missed anything. :)

Oh, and I also have Miquon on my shelf that I haven't pulled out yet. I haven't decided to sell it yet. I did decide to sell the two spelling programs (because I LOVE AAS). I have RightStart A sitting unused too, but it IS waiting on DS2 to be ready for math. I mainly got it early because I needed the manipulatives anyway, so it was a Christmas present from the grandparents. :D

I guess now that I'm not needing to shop for cloth diapers or baby carriers, it's time to have a curriculum obsession! :lol:

Here are our First Grade Plans:

Math- RightStart B

Reading-continue with Phonics Pathways and various leveled readers

Phonics- Explode the Code

Spelling- All About Spelling

Writing- Writing With Ease

Handwriting- A Reason for Handwriting A

Grammar- First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind

History- Tapestry of Grace (TOG) Year 1

Science- Haven’t decided yet. I own Living Learning Books Level 1 (first edition), I’ve also been looking at the various options available. I know I want to study biology a la WTM.

Art- finish Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book one, then move on to Book two

Bible- resources used in TOG, plus the various children’s Bibles I own as needed. We are currently reading through “The Child’s Story Bible” by Catherine Vos and loving it!

Geography- Thinking about either “A Child’s Geography” by Voskamp or the Daily Geography Practice by Evan Moor

Hope this is helpful!

ETA: I won't do every single subject every day! The writing, handwriting, phonics, and grammar will be alternated as I think doing all of the above would be too much every single day. We will do Math, Reading and Spelling every day, because I think that is important.

Edited by jewel7123

I'm brand new here too. Just 'officially' starting to homeschool my oldest DC, DD 5.5y/o, though we've been doing a little bit to ease in for over a year now (DD couldn't wait)

It's so interesting reading about what other people are doing! I'm in love with homeschooling!

Here's my plan for 2011 (we're in Australia, our school year goes Feb - Nov):

Language arts/reading:

LLATL Red (we're up to lesson 7)

Bible memory verse copywork

1 Mum Read aloud book (at the moment I'm reading Charlotte's Web aloud to all the DC)

1 DD Read aloud book (she's reading A series of unfortunate events, a bit before bedtime)

Books books books. A library visit bi-weekly (or tri-weekly!), and we still read plenty of picture books daily - she has two little brothers who love anything dragon/dinosaur!

I know LLATL isn't thought of as a 'meaty' language program, but we do a little extra spelling and go over the grammar guide often. We do extra copywork, and plenty of extra reading (including history/science books) so it feels like enough for us, and we're enjoying it!

Math:

Singapore 1B intensive practice book

Singapore 2A, 2B

Bits and pieces of MEP and Miquon

Science:

Topic/experiment led. I have lots of experiment books/resources lying around + the library. I download lots of free samples. Loosely based on the WTM topics for first grade (ie. Animals, Humans, Plants), and whatever else catches her fancy...

Watching documentaries (private life of plants, blue planet etc)

So I guess that makes it more like a Unit study.

History/Geography:

Combined at this stage. Planning to use as a spine the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History, lots of living library books, and see how we go.

Also BBC history website.

I really love the WTM theory using the 4 year cycle, I'm just not in love with any of the curriculum...

Music:

Violin lessons once a week/daily practice

Classics for Kids website

Art:

Cobbled together from whatever resource/topic looks interesting.

National Gallery of Art website

We also do a bible study - LLOTG 3x a week

Listen to bible story on CD

DD loves to read from her bible or her bedtime bible story devotion before bed.

And I like to count the real-life every-day learning ;) I'm a real rebel, apart from language arts and maths I hate being tied to a curriculum! A true classical leaning eclectic.

We school 4 days a week, for about 2 - 2.5 hours a day. Tues-Thurs is math, language art and something (History/Music/Puzzles etc.) Friday we do an hour each of Science and Art. On our off day we have violin lessons and our library visit.

I'm happy with that, sometimes I stress that it's not enough (I'm sure someone will notice some glaring omissions from our schedule), sometimes it feels like total overkill... DD is still happy and enjoying it so that's a good sign!

Thank you all for the continuing insight! :)

It's also so nice to meet others at the same stage of the game - I appreciate that you've shared your own plans for first grade; it gives me great perspective!

I guess now that I'm not needing to shop for cloth diapers or baby carriers, it's time to have a curriculum obsession! :lol:

Oh, SOOOOOO true!!!! :lol: (and now I'm definitely feeling reassured! :D)

History/Geography:

Combined at this stage. Planning to use as a spine the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History, lots of living library books, and see how we go.

Also BBC history website.

I really love the WTM theory using the 4 year cycle, I'm just not in love with any of the curriculum...

Have you looked at "All Through the Ages" by Christine Miller? It's a list of books, arranged by time period, student age, etc. All Through the Ages

I had the same issue, and ended up deciding to use this as a resource, along with "A Child's History of the World" by Hillyer A Childs History of the World and the Usborne books.

I also absolutely agree with what you said about real life learning and enjoying the journey - those are two of the main reasons I want to homeschool in the first place!!!

Edited by pgr

I wish I had caught this thread earlier! :) I have enjoyed reading all the posts. We are doing 1st grade this year and I thought I'd add my schedule in. I tend to change things around that I don't like or don't work.

Language Arts

Winter Promise LA 1 - this is a little advanced and uses ETC 6 and Right into Reading 2 as well as other resources.

Spelling

Spelling Power - just found this book and am SOOOO impressed! This is the only book you need for spelling through High School! Great research done in the method and it WORKS!

Handwriting

He started Joy of Handwriting to learn cursive last year and has been working on perfecting it. We also do copywork in other subjects.

Math

We started out with Singapore Math 1, but switched over to Mammoth Math. It is similar to Singapore, but has a better layout and is clearer on many things.

Science

Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy - We love this!

History

Sonlight Core 1 - We're not too thrilled with this, but we're going to finish this year and switch to Winter Promise. Wish I had gone ahead and done it this year!

I plan on adding a foreign language next year, but this year I can barely get done everything I want to do! My son would start rebelling if I added more! :)

If it's okay, I'd like to hold up my wish list for inspection, too.

We had a trial run with K this year. Some days I feel like we're even learning something! (I won't tell about the other days.)

For next year

AAS (this is on my wish list, I haven't purchased it)

WWE and/or FLL (we might skip both if AAS works the way I hope it will)

Phonics Pathways (This year, we only get to it sporadically, since she can read easy books now and prefers them to a program)

Math Mammoth (we started 1A this year, but haven't gotten very far)

Miquon Red (for breaks when Math Mammoth seems a bit much for the day)

BFSU (I mean to be more intentional about it next year, we didn't get very far at all this year)

SOTW (AG, or maybe Bibioplan using SOTW as the spine? still waffling)

A Child's Geography (haven't purchased this, either, but I think dd would enjoy it)

Drawing with Children (I want to actually do this once a week or a couple times a month. DD keeps asking for art class, and I usually just give them construction paper, markers, scissors, and tape. Our living room looks atrocious (sigh)

AWANA, and Bible/story books

My great idea is to do something from LA, Math, Bible, and The Rest daily. But, The Rest could rotate significantly.

Thanks for the link pgr. Some good book lists, I'll keep it in mind! I've looked at CHOW before. A part of the problem is that being from a different country, I don't want to focus so much on Nth American history, which makes American published curriculum difficult to warm to!

I've checked out my local libraries and we should have enough resources to keep us going for a while I think.

I completely agree with enjoying the journey, one of the major reasons we choose to homeschool is the lifestyle.

You know your child best of course, but based on my experiences with my children, that sounds like a lot. I guess if you were to just sprinkle the different resources here and there it wouldn't be so much. But then again, some children thrive in that kind of learning environment. I guess you could give it a shot and just be willing to drop some things for the time being if it seemed too much.

I think Prima Latina is a little much for a first grader. I would start that at third grade; possibly second but that would depend on your child.

Go slowly with the basics -- reading, handwriting, math. Reading can incorporate history and science. Art and music are important but those are my weak areas, so I can't comment on those.