Menu

Is there a turning point at 8

ClassicalTwins

Sometimes I wonder if other parents have to deal with children that are reluctant to do their school work as well. I know my little guy likes school but perhaps he just says things to get under my skin. Anyways I am looking forward to age 8 then.

Sometimes I wonder if other parents have to deal with children that are reluctant to do their school work as well. I know my little guy likes school but perhaps he just says things to get under my skin. Anyways I am looking forward to age 8 then.

Me, too!!! :lol:

without reading the replies, my immediate response is YES. Last year (when he turned 8) was the first really great year we had homeschooling. It seems they can just sit still longer, focus longer, etc. the "better late than early" philosophy doesn't even advocate starting formal learning until age 8, from what i understand.

It seem all of a sudden my boys are doing their school work without badgering and complaint (most of the time). And they seem to get the concepts and want to do it.

I've gotten the opposite. For the first time I'm hearing "I hate math" and "Grammar is my enemy". Plus, the sudden headache just before school that is relieved by legos. It hasn't gotten BAD yet, and I have my fingers crossed. He has also learned to be sarcastic. Uh. This has coincided with MUCH more peer time. We shall see.

I've gotten the opposite. For the first time I'm hearing "I hate math" and "Grammar is my enemy". Plus, the sudden headache just before school that is relieved by legos. It hasn't gotten BAD yet, and I have my fingers crossed. He has also learned to be sarcastic. Uh. This has coincided with MUCH more peer time. We shall see.

:rofl:

When I read Piaget's Theory of Student Development (or might have been Child Development) he mentions a couple different periods of time where children's thought processes start working in a more advanced way, one of those being about age 8. Not exactly 8 for all kids, but somewhere about there, they can start comprehending abstract ideas (like doing math in their heads without needing manipulatives) as opposed to concrete thought (needing to see it and touch it to understand it).

I read this about a year and a half ago...so don't quote me on it, but it said something like this.

Very fascinating, but deep read for anyone interested in child development. Sure helped me understand babies thought process more and not being so hard on kids in general.:001_smile: