Menu

CC: Just don't want to go to church anymore.

I'm a believer. I think about the Lord in all I do. We teach our children about the Lord...always. I was part of a church that was very judgemental and legalistic. It always seemed wrong, but out of guilt I stayed(it was non-denominational). People are now admitting that it was cult like. So, with that background I'm not feeling like going to church anymore. We found a great pastor, but I have no desire to serve or get to know anyone. Please don't throw darts, I'm not up for it.

Would the book SO YOU DON'T WANT TO GO TO CHURCH ANYMORE help me?

I haven't read that book, but I certainly feel for you! BTDT. I read Pagan Christianity and that somewhat spoke to where I was at the time (and still sort of am!)

For me, it's hard to want to dig in and enjoy church because I don't think it resembles the New Testament church (5 songs, announcements, pass the collection plate, 20 minute sermon). Though there are wide variances in church services, the above represents a template of the majority that I've been to (not speaking for anyone else or all denominations.)

I want the TRUE experience--like what the believers in the book of Acts had. Pie in the sky? I hope not. Still searching....

I've never heard of that book, but I have been in a position where the idea of going to church was actually discouraging to me.

The only thing that helped was immersing myself in God's word.

It's like a salve to the soul.

And it made me hungry to hear it preached from the pulpit and be around others who love Him.

So don't go... take some time off. Read your scriptures, enjoy your family. You can still be a good person, and a good Christian without belonging to or going to a church... Christ did it, so don't feel guilty. I think once you let that go, you'll be a lot happier :D

And btw, I know how you feel :)

We're in the same situation right now as well (minus the cult-like church). We haven't been to church since before Thanksgiving. I just don't feel like going anymore, and I haven't worked up the courage to try someplace new yet either.

Just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. We believe, we just aren't a part of a church again (yet).

It's okay not to go......... :D

What do you mean by this -" It's okay not to go". Of course no one should ever be "forced" to go to church and we all know it's an individual decision. But what do "you" mean, I wonder.

It's okay - as in not required in scripture, it won't affect your salvation, won't affect your life or relationships ? I just find that phrase so general I can't really attach any meaning to it. Is there a meaning ? I'm thinking you probably mean there are not horrible consequences to worry about. I think some people were raised to feel that church attendance is required and to not go is considered a sin - so perhaps you are giving the OP "permission" not to attend ?

Edited by Miss Sherry

I'm a believer. I think about the Lord in all I do. We teach our children about the Lord...always. I was part of a church that was very judgemental and legalistic. It always seemed wrong, but out of guilt I stayed(it was non-denominational). People are now admitting that it was cult like. So, with that background I'm not feeling like going to church anymore. We found a great pastor, but I have no desire to serve or get to know anyone. Please don't throw darts, I'm not up for it.

Well, until you can get over the hurt you experienced in the judgmental and legalistic church I think you will have a hard time trusting others at church. I hope you do come to a place of getting over that hurt and forgiving those who hurt you. :grouphug:

I haven't read that book, but I certainly feel for you! BTDT. I read Pagan Christianity and that somewhat spoke to where I was at the time (and still sort of am!)

For me, it's hard to want to dig in and enjoy church because I don't think it resembles the New Testament church (5 songs, announcements, pass the collection plate, 20 minute sermon). Though there are wide variances in church services, the above represents a template of the majority that I've been to (not speaking for anyone else or all denominations.)

I want the TRUE experience--like what the believers in the book of Acts had. Pie in the sky? I hope not. Still searching....

:iagree::iagree:

I Love Jesus...I can't stand to go to Church.

I do not go to church anymore. I probably won't go to church anymore. It has absolutely nothing to do with my relationship with God. Well, it doesn't interfere with my relationship with God. In my experience, not attending church has benefited my relationship with God. I realized that church teaches church agenda, not God agenda and even Bible teaches church agenda, not always God agenda.

I'm not saying "Yeah, don't go to church. It's bad." I do feel the dependence on church for following God is dangerous and counterproductive. Anything (teacher, preacher, book, etc) between you and your relationship with God is a potential and probably hindrance between truly knowing Him.

My 2 cents and hopefully not off topic. It's what I *heard* in your question. :) I don't know about the book. Misquoting Jesus, Ragamuffin Gospel and Steven Curtiss Chapman's book Speechless were the beginning books for my thought evolution.

I can understand your situation, and it might take some time to heal and move on, but I do think fellowship is important.

Hebrews 10:

23Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Very often when the apostles write about the atonement an aspect of fellowship is always included in the discourse along with dying to sin and living to God, and aspect of the character of God which are supposed to be manifested. I think this really emphasises the importance of fellowship.

A couple examples are:

(red=die to sin, green=live to God, pink=fellowship)

Col.3

3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

5Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

8But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

... 12Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

13Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

14And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Eph. 4

21If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

25Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

... 29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

... 32And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

How we conduct ourselves and build each other up in the faith is a big topic in Scripture, and therefore important or we wouldn't hear so much about it. It's not something we can effectively do if we keep ourselves out of fellowship.

Again though, I truly sympathize with your situation. I guess taking some time to rebound and recover from an unhealthy situation would be good, as long as you don't see it as a long term solution. Take some time to delve deep into the Bible, without a dysfunctional church system clouding it's words. I don't know about that book that you were asking about, but I do know that there is one Book that will help you heal and move on better than any other!

I never read that book. But I have felt the "any reason is a good reason not too go". When we felt like that, 2 of us staying home with 1 sick kid, we knew it was time for a change. We switched to a different church. We found one we liked and are still there, 2 kids and many kids later. We are very involved. I say this to let you know, maybe it's not church as a whole, maybe it's the parish you are going to.

:grouphug:

I always felt the same way. For several years, we rarely went to church. We moved and decided to look around for a new church. We started with one that we had been invited to by one of DH's Facebook friends, and we were done looking. We actually look forward to church now and are actively talking about getting involved more than just attending on Sunday mornings. My kids love it. We haven't missed a week since our first visit. A good church is wonderful.

I'm so sorry you're in that place. I've been there.

Have you thought about attending a liturgical church? We're Anglican, and the structure of the liturgy makes all the difference to me. I find that a communion (Eucharist) focused service tends to be a God-focused service. That all of the worship leads up to being fed in the Eucharist makes it very clear that we are there to worship corporately, i.e., it feels God-focused and not people-focused. That makes it easier for me to live with all the messy people-stuff, because the very structure of the services shows me, again, that we are weak ones who gather together because we need God's grace. Evangelical services (and I grew up Evangelical, and still love lots of that tradition) tend to feel like school and not church to me. The shape of a liturgical service points me towards Christ, every time, and that's what I need. And then I have compassion on the people next to me, because it reminds me that they're there for the same grace I'm in need of.

Anyway, just an idea. I hope you find what you're looking for. I encourage you not to give up, simply because the life of the church, messy as it gets, is life. St. Francis said, "I am an ass, but I carry my Lord." Get lots of us donkeys together and it's a mess sometimes. But Jesus is with us and it's worth being there. :grouphug:

Guest momk2000
:iagree::iagree:

:iagree: My feelings exactly!

We have not had the best experience with a couple of churches we have attended. As a matter of fact, lately I have been telling dh if we didn't have children, I probably wouldn't go to church at all. Then, on the other hand, I sometimes wonder what exactly the kids are getting out of it. Don't get me wrong, I have a strong faith in God, and nothing will ever take that away from me, I just don't like going to church for a variety of reasons. Someone here mentioned home church, and I have thought about that too. I'm just hesitant to talk to my husband about it. We are attending a church now (for about 4 months) and I like it so far, but the motivation just is not there d/t previous experiences. I have alreasy told my husband, no matter how much I like a church that we are attending, I will contribute to the church, but I will not become a member.

I can understand your situation, and it might take some time to heal and move on, but I do think fellowship is important.

Hebrews 10:

23Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Very often when the apostles write about the atonement an aspect of fellowship is always included in the discourse along with dying to sin and living to God, and aspect of the character of God which are supposed to be manifested. I think this really emphasises the importance of fellowship.

A couple examples are:

Col.3

5Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

8But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

... 12Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

13Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Eph. 4

21If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

25Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

... 29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

... 32And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

How we conduct ourselves and build each other up in the faith is a big topic in Scripture, and therefore important or we wouldn't hear so much about it. It's not something we can effectively do if we keep ourselves out of fellowship.

Again though, I truly sympathize with your situation. I guess taking some time to rebound and recover from an unhealthy situation would be good, as long as you don't see it as a long term solution. Take some time to delve deep into the Bible, without a dysfunctional church system clouding it's words. I don't know about that book that you were asking about, but I do know that there is one Book that will help you heal and move on better than any other!

:iagree: well put.

I don't think you have to go to church, but I think it helps a lot. We are still looking for a church where we moved. I hate the process and we've gotten a little burned out. Some weeks we just stay at home and do home church. That's great, but I find I'm not as challenged when I don't hear a really good sermon. My old church puts their sermons on-line - yay! Now I can still learn and be challenged, even if I am not going to church. Maybe you could find something like that til/if you are ready to go back to church.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We felt ready to give up on church at various points in our married life. And we did, occasionally. We'd stay home. Or not get very involved so our commitment was minimal. Or try to start a church or at least a fellowship group (within another church) of "like minded" families, etc. But the hunger was still always there -- some unnamed, undefined hunger that had never been filled with what we deep down felt Church should be like. I mean, the Bible calls "the church" the Body of Christ -- it can't be unnecessary, you know? It's the tangible who He is. Before we started where we attend now, we were attending an independent charismatic church which, from what we understood at the time, was the "fullest" you could find of the Christian church. And yet we still weren't filled.

At that point we received an invitation to attend the Eastern Orthodox Church -- and are so thankful we went. It was a complete 180 degree turn from anything we'd ever known, and it was everything we longed for and thought Church should be: deeply reverent, utterly beautiful, ancient/historical, unchanging. Most of all, at first, it was a nice place to *rest*. If you have any inclination to see what I mean, you could check here to see if there is a parish near you. It may not be what you are looking for at this point in time, but just in case I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by milovaný

Op, I know how you feel. I grew up in a very strict church where rules often took precedence over Jesus. I knew how NOT to act, but I had no clue how a Jesus-loving Christian should act. When I left home, I essentially left the church. I still had faith, still had a relationship with God, but I just did not want to go to church. I was just too raw from that experience. I had to give myself time to heal.

We moved around a lot because of the military. We visited many different churches and denominations. It opened my eyes. I found out there is not one right way to worship or one magic formula for being a Christian (kinda like there isn't one magic curriculum or one right way to homeschool). After bouncing around for a while, we settled on a liturgical church. At first I thought I found my lace, but now I'm thinking it is just one stop in my journey.

I recently started reading Mere Churchianityby Michael Spencer. It gives a voice to many of the things that irk me about the Church. One of the things he say is that we are the Church. That building we go to on Sunday morning is just a building. Sometimes Jesus isn't really there, or if he is, he is hiding behind flashy music/legalism/denominational doctrine/whatever. I completely agree with this. The whole book addresses people who have left the church or those who want to leave. Right now, I kinda want to leave.

So what to do? Well, if you need to take a break, take a break! Jesus doesn't limit himself to a building on Sunday mornings. Take time to just be with God and find out what He wants you to do. Talk to your kids about God. Show Him to them. I understand the desire to go to church for the kids, but they can learn so much more about Him if you just live your live for Him.

:grouphug: I love Jesus, I just don't always like Christians.

Hebrews 10:

A couple examples are:

Col.3

Eph. 4

I agree that fellowship is important. I do not see going to a church as necessary to fulfill that. The modern concept of church attendance is very different than the one written about by the Apostles. This is one of those area's where we have a modern concept...and then we find bible verses to shore up our belifes. Instead, if we contextualize the verses it becomes a bit less "church attendance" specific.

Getting together with others for the purpose of encouragement and enlightenment is important, but everyone needs on this are going to be different. Not going to a church building does not = not being in fellowship or getting together with other of similar faith.

PS...from your post you sound very sweet and have a kind heart. I just don't completely agree with what I "thought" you were saying with those verses. If I have misread I apologize in advance ;).

:iagree: I think there are seasons... I am currently in a season where I just dread the whole church production. It seems more authentic and beneficial to spend time in my Bible alone right now. I assume this is not how I will always feel, but it is definitely where I am at right now.

((hugs)) I could have written your post. We left a similar church a couple of months ago and the pain of the whole situation has made me very reluctant to join with another group of people. I think time will help, though. I know meeting with other people is important, but I do need time to heal before I jump in whole heartedly. Stay in the Word, pray, listen to sermons online in the meantime. Do whatever it takes to keep your love for God strong. ((hugs))

It seems many of the replies are based on thinking the OP doesn't attend church. I was under the impression that she does attend church, but doesn't really want to attend, but is attending but not getting involved much and not wanting to get to know anyone.

I agree that fellowship is important. I do not see going to a church as necessary to fulfill that. The modern concept of church attendance is very different than the one written about by the Apostles. This is one of those area's where we have a modern concept...and then we find bible verses to shore up our belifes. Instead, if we contextualize the verses it becomes a bit less "church attendance" specific.

Getting together with others for the purpose of encouragement and enlightenment is important, but everyone needs on this are going to be different. Not going to a church building does not = not being in fellowship or getting together with other of similar faith.

:iagree:

Some of my most encouraging times in the last few years have come from hanging out at a Christian-owned coffee shop where the owner prays with you and people hang out there just to be with other God-loving people. There's coffee and Bibles and laughter and seeking.

I'm getting a hankering for coffee...

Op, I know how you feel. I grew up in a very strict church where rules often took precedence over Jesus. I knew how NOT to act, but I had no clue how a Jesus-loving Christian should act. When I left home, I essentially left the church. I still had faith, still had a relationship with God, but I just did not want to go to church. I was just too raw from that experience. I had to give myself time to heal.

We moved around a lot because of the military. We visited many different churches and denominations. It opened my eyes. I found out there is not one right way to worship or one magic formula for being a Christian (kinda like there isn't one magic curriculum or one right way to homeschool). After bouncing around for a while, we settled on a liturgical church. At first I thought I found my lace, but now I'm thinking it is just one stop in my journey.

I recently started reading Mere Churchianityby Michael Spencer. It gives a voice to many of the things that irk me about the Church. One of the things he say is that we are the Church. That building we go to on Sunday morning is just a building. Sometimes Jesus isn't really there, or if he is, he is hiding behind flashy music/legalism/denominational doctrine/whatever. I completely agree with this. The whole book addresses people who have left the church or those who want to leave. Right now, I kinda want to leave.

So what to do? Well, if you need to take a break, take a break! Jesus doesn't limit himself to a building on Sunday mornings. Take time to just be with God and find out what He wants you to do. Talk to your kids about God. Show Him to them. I understand the desire to go to church for the kids, but they can learn so much more about Him if you just live your live for Him.

:grouphug: I love Jesus, I just don't always like Christians.

I recently reviewed that book on my blog. I am at the same place, sort of. I kind of like Spencer's advice to find Jesus where you are - it's not the structure or the organizational chart that make a church, it's the Jesus followers who put their faith into action and you might find them anywhere.

I'm tired of sit and soak mega-church productions and ready to roll up my sleeves and help people who are hurting. Sometimes I find those people through our church, sometimes in line at the store or on the street or within our homeschool groups.

Serve someone in need - IMO, that's a real act of worship.

PS...from your post you sound very sweet and have a kind heart. I just don't completely agree with what I "thought" you were saying with those verses. If I have misread I apologize in advance ;).

:iagree:with so much of what you posted. I've had many of these verses quoted to me because we had church at home for a number of years. We still had fellowship with other believers, we just worshiped as a family at home. I even had some Christian friends turn their backs on my family because we had church at home. It was very hurtful. The Bible also says "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

We are attending a church currently and have to travel some distance to get there. It is exhausting. Often we think we were closer to God and had a more meaningful experience studying God's word at home and praying together.

It sounds like you got burned out being involved in your former church, and you need to be fed and filled up before you get yourselves involved again. It sounds like you need a time of healing. So just go on Sundays and listen, and don't take on any programs or projects. Get refreshed & regenerate. Take 6 months to a year. Then see what happens.

Thank you all!!

Yes, we do attend church. My husband is more involved and wants to go. I'm AM healing from my past experience and just feel so many different emotions right now. I do have fellowship, but not with people from our church.

I do get judged by family and some friends if I don't attend church....and that really bugs me. I've seen far too many "attenders" live a double life.

I can't get my thoughts together and my dc need me. Thanks again!!

When I didn't want to go to church, I gradually realized that it was because the church I attended was kind of rootless. It had good teachings, but I missed the connection with the Church through the ages that I had grown up with. I didn't think it existed anymore, and I thought that I was hopelessly old-fashioned, and probably a really bad person and not much of a Christian at all. I felt guilty when I didn't go to church, and annoyed when I did.

Gradually I noticed that when I had occasion to visit another Lutheran church I would really enjoy it. After several years of this I decided to seriously seek out a church that was more traditional, and found one. I have been happy there ever since.

YMMV, but although not wanting to go to church can be all about you and you problems with God, it can also be about a specific church not being a good fit. I encourage you to pray to find what God wants you to be part of in a church, and to meditate on this as well.

I recently reviewed that book on my blog. I am at the same place, sort of. I kind of like Spencer's advice to find Jesus where you are - it's not the structure or the organizational chart that make a church, it's the Jesus followers who put their faith into action and you might find them anywhere.

I'm tired of sit and soak mega-church productions and ready to roll up my sleeves and help people who are hurting. Sometimes I find those people through our church, sometimes in line at the store or on the street or within our homeschool groups.

:grouphug: That is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

I have read that book, and I would recommend it to you. The character in the book was severely hurt by the church, and goes through a healing process that brings him to a place of close communication with his Heavenly Father. The book is not about turning your back on God. It is about finding your way TO Him, despite what the church situation is around you.

it's not the structure or the organizational chart that make a church, it's the Jesus followers who put their faith into action and you might find them anywhere.

This.

:grouphug:

Pray for discernment. It's okay to church hop and just show up for the service and leave at the end. You can avoid all the politics and other nonsense that way. It's also a great way to experience different church services and see if one is calling to you. You may even want to stretch your comfort zone a bit and try a more traditional church as you'll certainly get more than the five hymns and the 20 minute sermon. :)