Menu

You're not going to believe this!

This past weekend, dh & I went to a convention and there was a silent auction. One of the items being auctioned was a "Residence Scholarship" (four years' room & board -- value listed at $40,000) to the college ER will be attending. This is one of those things where the items up for bid are displayed on tables, with a bid sheet next to each. Bidding started at $1 for each item and bidders wrote in their bid amounts in $1 increments.

There were all sorts of things being displayed -- gift baskets, bottles of homemade syrups, handmade doilies, you name it. For the scholarship, a certificate was displayed.

Well, dh & I arrived at the convention just minutes before the end of the bidding, and we bid $100 for the scholarship.

AND WE WON!!! I am so excited, but I am having to pinch myself because it's hard to believe it's true!

UPDATE:

(I've already posted this as a separate post, but was afraid some might not see it way down there, so I am also posting it here as an edit of my original post.)

Spoke with ER's admissions counselor yesterday (a friend of ours), and learned that the admissions director had wanted the scholarshiip to go to someone who was not already admitted -- which ER is. However, that was not specified on the eligibility requirements that were listed alongside the scholarship certificate that was displayed at the auction. We found out about this yesterday when I contacted the admissions office to find out when & where we should present the certificate so it could be applied to ER's account.

The message we got from the admissions director was that he would talk with his boss and then contact us. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe he just wants to be sure of the procedure. But I'm so afraid that they're going to tell us that because of this "loophole", they won't honor the certificate! Surely not, since the college donated the scholarship to the organization conducting the auction, and any proceeds would go to that organization, not the college, no matter who won it or how much they paid. The college still has the same amount invested whether the scholarship goes to ER or someone else. Right??? And besides, if they won't honor it, what about the money -- relatively small amount though it is -- that we bid (and already paid)???

Please pray with us about this! I am beginning to think that maybe it is too good to be true!?! But I know that God's hand is in all of this, and He has not been taken by surprise!

Spoke with the admissions counselor yesterday, and learned that the admissions director had wanted the scholarshiip to go to someone who was not already admitted -- which ER is. However, that was not specified on the eligibility requirements that were listed along with the scholarship certificate that was displayed at the auction. We found out about this yesterday when I contacted the admissions office to find out when & where we should present the certificate so it could be applied to ER's account.

The message we got from the admissions director was that he would talk with his boss and then contact us. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe he just wants to be sure of the procedure. But I'm so afraid that they're going to tell us that because of this "loophole", they won't honor the certificate! Surely not, since the college donated the scholarship to the organization conducting the auction, and any proceeds would go to that organization, not the college, no matter who won it or how much they paid. The college still has the same amount invested whether the scholarship goes to ER or someone else. Right??? And besides, if they won't honor it, what about the money -- relatively small amount though it is -- that we bid (and already paid)???

Please pray with us about this! I am beginning to think that maybe it is too good to be true!?! But I know that God's hand is in all of this, and He has not been taken by surprise!

That is tremendous news! What great luck!!! Congrats!!!:001_smile:

note - posted before I read your second post. Do you know a lawyer???? Do you have or can you get a copy of the certificate and any info that was out with the bidding stuff? If what you say is true - you might mention to the admissions folk how the bad publicity of them reneging could be, too... (if it comes to that.)

WOW!

If it were me, I might be inclined to call the admin office back and ask them who you should contact for PR-related issues, b/c the local news wants to do a story on the family who won such a great prize and the generous school who donated the scholarship in the first place. (that WOULD make a great news story!)

Surely they wouldn't want any bad publicity on the 5 o'clock news, right? ;)

Good luck, I hope everything works out nice and easy!

Guest Lorna

How wonderful. I am sure it will all come through. I really cannot see how they can go back on the offer - in fact I am horrified that they would worry you like this. I would call the local press with the good news!

How wonderful. I am sure it will all come through. I really cannot see how they can go back on the offer - in fact I am horrified that they would worry you like this. I would call the local press with the good news!

That is a GREAT idea - call the local papers with the story and let them take a photo of the happy parents and future student holding the certificate!!!!

get a copy of the certificate displayed with the auction and look into retaining a lawyer if the school won't honor it. Sometimes, all it takes is a lawyer to write the school a letter reminding them of their legal obligations.

Best wishes,

Brenda

It won't hurt to get a notarized copy, either.

I can't believe that the school even contacted you to tell you they have to look into whether or not you are still eligible to recieve it! Especially if there was nothing written or said to indicate this was for first time students only- Keep us posted on the outcome.

They didn't contact me about it; I contacted the admissions office & asked ER's admissions counselor (a friend of ours) whether the business office had been notified that ER was the recipient of the scholarship, and also if/when/where we needed to present the certificate. That's when I learned that there might be a problem.

They were going to award the scholarship to someone who hadn't already been admitted? What if the recipient didn't have a good academic record? Would the school turn him/her down and nullify the scholarship? Could the scholarship be transferrable to a worthy student of the winner's choice (maybe EK??)? It all sounds very strange.