Menu

Ear crackling = Giant bug?

I woke up this morning with a constant crackling sound in my right ear, like somebody just poured milk on a bowl of rice krispies. If I pop my ear with my palm, it will sometimes stop for a few minutes. For the most part it doesn't feel strange at all.

I googled it, because I've never heard of this happening, and it said that one possible cause is that there could be an insect trapped in my ear canal! (!!!!!!) I'm sort of freaking out at the moment. Has anyone ever heard of this? And, more importantly, has anyone heard of this and had it turn out to be something NOT a big insect?

If I do have to have some giant beetle or something pulled out of my ear, I'll be sure to post pictures. :tongue_smilie:

Okay, I'm going to try a decongestant. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

For those of you who have actually had it happen, was it constant, or was it only when you're talking or moving in some way? Mine crackles even when I'm sitting perfectly still, holding my breath... I keep imagining tiny insect legs beating on my ear drum. *shudder*

Many years ago a small beetle crawled into my grandmother's ear while she was sleeping. She could feel it moving around so it was more than just a sound. Yes, she was pretty freaked out too. My grandpa was able to remove it using suction - he took the needle out of a hypodermic needle and pulled the plunger up. The beetle was sucked out with the air.

Then there was this time on some Real Life Emergency Room show (on Discovery or the like) a few years ago when a woman came to the ER crying and saying it sounded like a helicopter in her ear. She was also in a lot of pain. Again, some kind of beetle had crawled in her ear and couldn't get out.

I doubt you have a bug in your ear. I really think it is something else.

I've never had either happen to me (the bug or the crackling) but when I was a teacher, a kid kept complaining about her ear like that. The nurse sat her on the table, turned off the light for a while, and then shined a flashlight in the girl's ear. The bug, attracted to the light, crawled right out.

If you want to try it . . . :blink:

I hope it's the other thing.

I would be making a trip to the Dr. There is no way I'd walk around *thinking* there could be a bug in my ear! :001_huh::willy_nilly::eek::ack2:

However, I'm sure you're fine.

My dh has the car right now and doesn't get home from work until after two. Otherwise I would have gone straight to the doctor after my first look on google.

It could be built up ear wax. Mine does that sometimes if there is a build up. Or congestion. Do you feel queasy or dizzy?

My grandma had a june bug fly into her ear and the pain was horrific so I really don't think it's a bug.

Hope the decongestant helps.

ACK! I should NOT have opened up this thread!!!!! Did the decongestant help?

I have to call my doctor first- I'm on a boatload of fairly strong medications right now for a neck injury, and I don't want to add on another without knowing if it's going to kill me or not first. :tongue_smilie: When dh gets home I'm going to make him look in there and tell me what he sees. If you never hear from me again, just assume he saw some legs sticking out and I ran screaming down the street trying to claw my own ear off.

However, since I haven't felt any movement whatsoever, I'm betting on the less yucky theory.

I have to call my doctor first- I'm on a boatload of fairly strong medications right now for a neck injury, and I don't want to add on another without knowing if it's going to kill me or not first. :tongue_smilie: When dh gets home I'm going to make him look in there and tell me what he sees. If you never hear from me again, just assume he saw some legs sticking out and I ran screaming down the street trying to claw my own ear off.

However, since I haven't felt any movement whatsoever, I'm betting on the less yucky theory.

You need to mention this to your doctor. My dad is having hearing problems and are very similar to what you describe. He's seen an ear doctor to have his hearing checked, etc and they could find nothing. They are thinking now it may be related to the various medications he is on. I don't know what he is on but it for a back injury.

Anyone else getting the scene from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan in their heads right now? You know, THAT CERTAIN SCENE that I can't watch with my eyes open?

Yeah, probably shouldn't have opened this thread. :lol:

Yes! I let my ds's watch WoK a few months ago, assuring them there were no creepy parts in the movie--then they saw this scene. "Mom, you lied!"

As to the bug theory, I did know one person that it happened to. It was during Air Force training when they were sleeping outside. He woke up to that crackling in the ear. The story we got was that the medic checked his ear, then slammed his head down on the table, and the bug crawled right out. :eek:

Guest RecumbentHeart
I meant the giant bug! It would drive me insane to think of a giant bug wandering around in my head. :D

If I was experiencing that and started thinking it might really be a bug I would need to be knocked out as I am certain hysteria would ensue.

Maybe try some peroxide in the ear. Lay down on a bath towel, bug side up, errrr i mean affected ear side up, and pour in a smidge of peroxide. If you have a dropper for kids meds, that will make it easiest to do to yourself without getting a bath. Lay there for about 5 minutes to give it time to work.

The peroxide can help remove any organic material in there.

The bug thing happened to a friend of mine. I don't recall her mentioning any noises, but she had intense pain. Her father poured some kind of medicine into her ear that dulled the pain, but her ear still felt clogged. They went to the doctor, and he pulled out a huge (dead) cockroach. He explained that it does happen fairly often, the pain was from the roach biting her, and the medicine likely killed the roach, causing the pain to stop.:eek:

Maybe try some peroxide in the ear. Lay down on a bath towel, bug side up, errrr i mean affected ear side up, and pour in a smidge of peroxide. If you have a dropper for kids meds, that will make it easiest to do to yourself without getting a bath. Lay there for about 5 minutes to give it time to work.

The peroxide can help remove any organic material in there.

:iagree:I had to do this with dh a few months ago, and it ended up being a wax plug.

I have that creepy feeling right now :tongue_smilie:.

Please let us know how this turns out!!!!

I really regret opening this thread. :tongue_smilie:

Another possibility: I have had some middle-ear infections that caused blistering on the eardrum, and there was a crackling sound and clear discharge as the blisters popped. It was like what you described, rice krispies, but intermittent - it would crackle a few minutes, then stop for a half hour, then crackle some more.... I didn't know that was even possible until the doctor looked into my ear and explained it to me, but since the first one it's happened twice (I've always been prone to ear problems).

Guest RecumbentHeart
The bug thing happened to a friend of mine. I don't recall her mentioning any noises, but she had intense pain. Her father poured some kind of medicine into her ear that dulled the pain, but her ear still felt clogged. They went to the doctor, and he pulled out a huge (dead) cockroach. He explained that it does happen fairly often, the pain was from the roach biting her, and the medicine likely killed the roach, causing the pain to stop.:eek:

I may never sleep again.

All right, if I have to sit here waiting any longer, hysteria will ensue. After much scouring of the internets, I've decided to try the olive oil method, just in case there is any... organic material stuck in my ear. I would try peroxide, but I just looked and we're all out. I'm definitely leaning towards congestion at this point, but if I don't try something I'm going to go nuts. I'll report back in a few minutes and let you know the results. Wish me luck.

Okay, here's my report. :D

I went in the bathroom and filled my ear with olive oil. Which is a really strange feeling, I have to tell you, and made me dizzier than I've ever been in my life. I let it sit for two minutes, then let it drain out- and I swear, there was a lot less that came out than I thought I'd put in- and then irrigated repeatedly with water. When I was done, there was a teeny, tiny little red thing in the bowl, either a piece of thread or some kind of little worm or larva- not sure which, and I really don't want to know. :tongue_smilie: But for the moment, the crackling has stopped. If it returns I'm going straight to the doctor, but for now, I'm tentatively claiming victory.

I went in the bathroom and filled my ear with olive oil. Which is a really strange feeling, I have to tell you, and made me dizzier than I've ever been in my life. I let it sit for two minutes, then let it drain out- and I swear, there was a lot less that came out than I thought I'd put in- and then irrigated repeatedly with water. When I was done, there was a teeny, tiny little red thing in the bowl, either a piece of thread or some kind of little worm or larva- not sure which, and I really don't want to know. :tongue_smilie: But for the moment, the crackling has stopped. If it returns I'm going straight to the doctor, but for now, I'm tentatively claiming victory.

Did you say worm or larva? AGHGHGHGHGH :eek:

If I was experiencing that and started thinking it might really be a bug I would need to be knocked out as I am certain hysteria would ensue.

Oh, me too!! I'd be short-listed for the giggle coop if I had reason to believe there was a bug caught in my ear.

astrid

:hurray: I, for one, am going to believe that it was a bit of thread waving around inside your ear...

:hurray: I, for one, am going to believe that it was a bit of thread waving around inside your ear...

Me, too. For the sake of my sanity.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! And, you know, sorry for whatever nightmares you all have tonight. :tongue_smilie:

I am soooooo glad you got at least one leg out. Now, do you have a plan for the rest of it?

LOLOLOLOLOL Okay don't kill me.....:smash:

I woke up this morning with a constant crackling sound in my right ear, like somebody just poured milk on a bowl of rice krispies. If I pop my ear with my palm, it will sometimes stop for a few minutes. For the most part it doesn't feel strange at all.

I googled it, because I've never heard of this happening, and it said that one possible cause is that there could be an insect trapped in my ear canal! (!!!!!!) I'm sort of freaking out at the moment. Has anyone ever heard of this? And, more importantly, has anyone heard of this and had it turn out to be something NOT a big insect?

If I do have to have some giant beetle or something pulled out of my ear, I'll be sure to post pictures. :tongue_smilie:

Don't want to freak you out...but that actually happened to my husband. I didn't believe it! I said it couldn't happen. I was wrong. He got a Japanese Beetle in there. It walked in while he was asleep. The doctor irrigated his ear and it came out...no infection or anything....just totally gross and it freaked me out!

Faithe

:001_huh::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly: :blink: :svengo:I just died.