Menu

Wheelock for kids?

Aubrey

My copy of Wheelocks has just arrived and I'm too intimidated to look at it. I know Ester Maria used to say that language focused kids could start it in grade 5. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Rosie

I don't know. I thought I'd read that Wheelock had come out w/ an elem book. I remember drooling, because I love Wheelock so much I'd always wished they'd come out w/ a kid's version. (This was after the realization that I could not use college texts on 1st g'ers, lol.)

But the one Laura Corin linked in another thread--from the UK, can't remember the name--looks great. That one is my plan...but...I just wanted to *see* the Kiddie Wheelock first. Maybe that will require sleeping & dreaming, though. :lol:

I think that many high schools also use Wheelocks for Latin.

My niece used it in public high school and is studying in college with the goal of becoming a Latin Teacher. She has highly recommended Wheelock's over other programs for my kids once they enter high school. She seemed to feel that any exposure prior to that, especially building vocabulary, declensions, and conjugations would be the perfect set up.

The only things that come to mind are VP's Latin progression, where students start Wheelock's in late 5th or start of 6th (after LfC), and Angela's thread on how to do elementary Latin without a curriculum, basically just using Wheelock's or some other full curriculum (whichever you plan to use in ms/hs) to pull vocab and endings/grammar from.